Power to the Poachers

vtboarder

What the fuck are you talking about? I've worked at a shop for 5 years through high school and college, met our rep every year, been to every clinic and demo day, if you go into a shop and they tell you you can't buy it one thing without the rest of the package - the shop is lieing to you. That shot all your creditability to hell because you just don't know what the hell you are saying.

Stop being a burton-hater and advertising-hater. Burton does more for this sport than any other snowboard company, Burton boards are made in North America for the most part - only GNU/Lib Tech, Santa Cruz (I believe?) and Arbor can say that. They are one of the oldest companies, and they are still independent. They are nothing like Walmart. Sure their stuff is the most popular, but that is not without reason.

And opening for new brands? Go look in a good shop, there is more choice now than ever. As Ride and K2 have faltered, GNU/Libtech, Arbor, Rome, Batteleon, 32, and Flow have started growing. There are more independents than ever.

Relax dude I have no sword in this fight, I could care less what Burton does, but you do know that Burton requires relativley insane buying minimums. I don't know what shop you worked in but if you were there five years you would know this. Here is a thread on PSIA that talks about buying minimums and snow sports, the point of the posts are not important but you can clearly see buying minimums exist. For what it is worth, which is nothing, but I think Burton is cool but even you have to admit they are the biggest player and they let that be known.

http://www.psia.org/forum/forums/thread-vi...=50&start=1

How is my creditability shot to hell, Kachina is sick, its at Taos, Alta is on federal land, MRG did allow snowboards and DV is filled with rich gapers. All of this and the buying minimums are independtly verifiable. Lastly I don't care how anyone gets down the mountain, with the possible exception of those weird spring short skis with breaks in Yurp, as long as you are a nice cool person you are fine with me.

In my haste I forgot to mention that even if I was the most self centered skier on the planet, I would be insane to not acknowledge the fact that skiing is infinitely better off since the introduction of the snowboard. Skiing actually owes Jake Burton a favor. Snow sports as a whole would not exist as they do without all that snowboarding has created, new school skiing's culture which is the fastest growing part of skiing, was to some degree taken directly from the great culture surrounding snowboarding.

I dunno, say what they want I have helped plan the orders for the last 3 seasons and we never worried about a minimum. If there is one, it is so small it doesn't matter. We only order 1 of each size for about 6 mens models and 3 or 4 womens models and we just pick and choose which ones we want, they don't constrain you at all. Compared to the companies that sell hiking/camping gear they are really relaxed about it. So I dunno, I've never seen a minimum. Maybe if you call up Burton and say I want to buy 3 T6's they won't sell it to you, because it isn't worth their time. The rep invests a lot of hours per store, and selling 3 boards just wouldn't be worth it. Besides, we haven't had a burton board left for the last 3 seasons. Certainly can't say the same about Ride or K2.

I'm just really taking offense to you ragging on Jake for marketing off it. Of course he is, but there is nothing wrong with that. It is a three way win with no losers. Burton makes more money. Riders have fun and could possibly make money. The resorts will make more money from the people visiting to poach, and from the rep they get with skiers for keeping snowboarders out - it just brings up their differentiation even more. And towns make money off visitors. No one is losing, it is a great idea.

• 2 weeks later...
How the hell did they get the snowboards into the resorts? I saw them digging them out of the woods, but how'd they get them there in the first place without being seen?

Normally I would say hiked it, but that was Jeremy Jones I believe and I know he has a sled he shows it off in Chulksmack so maybe they drove up the night before? Or hiked up? But hiking up and down would be stupid just hike up at dawn, so they probably dropped it off with a sled.

the prize is 5,000 usd for the best video for each resort. if you hit four resorts, you have a chance to win twenty long. with that said, i dont foresee judges giving the same crew all four prizes even if they have the best video in each spot. actually, i dont foresee many people or even one person trying to hit all four.