Bear Creek TR 1/3/08

poconoceancity

Hey All,

I'm back from a cold early morning session at Bear Creek. It was 12 degrees when I arrived and the guns were roaring on the entire mountain. Luckily I was a 3 layer player (underarmour, fleece and Burton AK jacket). I mainly hit Broadway to Timberline and Sasquatch to Kodiak. There were guns blowing fresh Poe on everything and the fresh cord was completely covered by the new slower snow by 10:00.

It was definitely one of the coldest sessions of my career. At around 11:30 I was tired of getting blasted with wet snowmaking snow which froze solid to my goggles and I couldn't see anything so I took 3 more runs with no goggles and called it a day, since I was frozen from all the snowgun snow.

Bear Creek reminds me of a smaller upside down Camelback

I was there last night, and it was fantastic (well, aside from my board getting stolen - that was pretty f-ing far from fantastic). Lots of fresh powder, and almost no one on the entire right side of the mountain.

How do you get your board stolen when they have a free ski/board check?

How do you get your board stolen when they have a free ski/board check?

I locked it up outside when I went in to hit the bathroom. They must've cut the cable or something. I locked it right by the board check thinking it might be somehow safer there. I won't be making that mistake again. :banghead

I locked it up outside when I went in to hit the bathroom. They must've cut the cable or something. I locked it right by the board check thinking it might be somehow safer there. I won't be making that mistake again. :banghead

jeeze cut the cable and everything... wow. that really sucks because its not like you didnt even bother to lock it.

from now on i think im gonna use ski check even tho i have a lock.

Edited by MISSDEMEANOR

Hey All,

I'm back from a cold early morning session at Bear Creek. It was 12 degrees when I arrived and the guns were roaring on the entire mountain. Luckily I was a 3 layer player (underarmour, fleece and Burton AK jacket). I mainly hit Broadway to Timberline and Sasquatch to Kodiak. There were guns blowing fresh Poe on everything and the fresh cord was completely covered by the new slower snow by 10:00.

It was definitely one of the coldest sessions of my career. At around 11:30 I was tired of getting blasted with wet snowmaking snow which froze solid to my goggles and I couldn't see anything so I took 3 more runs with no goggles and called it a day, since I was frozen from all the snowgun snow.

Bear Creek reminds me of a smaller upside down Camelback

PoconoOceanCity...

Spring Mountain...now Bear Creek..why not just drive up to Blue???

He's working his way up.

I got to Blue in about 20 minutes from Bear Creek on NYE. It's really not as far as I thought.

Edited by Justin

congrats POC for getting another day on the snow. Any baby details? Boy, girl, everything go smooth?

Thanks...Hilarie was born on 12/27. Everyone is doing well, I might be able to get up to the Poconos one more time this week.

underarmour, a fleece, and a burton ak jacket???!?!.....DAMN

My core was warm...my hands and feet, not so much.

PoconoOceanCity...

Spring Mountain...now Bear Creek..why not just drive up to Blue???

That's next on my list...I also plan on hitting CB, JF, ER, Sno, Elk and Big Bear.

He's working his way up.

I got to Blue in about 20 minutes from Bear Creek on NYE. It's really not as far as I thought.

I think it's only 20 miles, but most of the roads are 30-40MPH...it could be done in about 30 minutes with no traffic.

But I live on the north side of Allentown directly south of Blue mountain and I'm essentially 20 miles from Blue..My closest way to Macungie is 10 miles and then it's another 5-6 to Bear Creek..Maybe the least miles is 33-34 miles..but not less.

Next time I'm at either place I'll punch it up on the navigation...I was at a McD's near 78 today, I thought maybe I would run into you grabbing one of your healthy snacks. :D

Near 78 and you skied Bear Creek???? I'm on a diet. Wouldn't you get off at the Quakertown exit for Bear Creek? So you're adding your winter weight before you go anerexic for the summer?

I got off the Q-town exit on the way there...then followed the navigation to the closest McD's which took me north of there and by some hot dog place. I don't gain weight in the winter any more since when I am at home I can never really relax and eat anything. I'm holding steady at 169.

So you took Route 100 North from Macungie..and ate at the McDonalds in Fogelsville? Then got on the Lehigh Valley exit..wow..screw the navigation system...Wow 169 pounds..the last time I weighed 169 pounds was...welll..um..maybe like 2000...

That sounds right, I didn't know where I was...do you live or work near there.