Half Pipe?

publicenemy666

Rob just gets all fuzzy when it's bad for everyone. No other reason for that post.

not true at all.. I want a pipe cause nips wants a pipe.. For what it is worth, I am actively involved in a huge pipe event for 2010 and 2014

Whens BB going to open a pipe?

They are in year 2 of a 5 year plan. possibly year 4 or 5 no definites, I guess it depends on how well BB does these first few years. Pipes of that size are ridiculously expensive and rarely is there a ROI

not true at all..

Baloney. You're in Wyoming and---out of the blue---decided to slam the superpipe plan, even though the weather is crapping on everyone in the Poconos. Good for you.

Not to be negative but after this warm spell..Sno needs to rethink their prioritys and blow lots of snow on the regular trails...a 22 foot pipe just seems like a huge waste of snow...

I believe the tons of snow on Spike is just for jumps and rails, so their priority was the terrain park and the NF. The rest of the upper mountain has never faired well in 60 degree weather no matter what...

Baloney. You're in Wyoming and---out of the blue---decided to slam the superpipe plan, even though the weather is crapping on everyone in the Poconos. Good for you.

I care very very very very much about 1/2 pipe in the Poconos, so much so, that I got duped into buying a season pass for a "Competition Ready" pipe last season and so much so that I also post in Pipe specific forums and competition threads on this and other boards.

Papa, is CB still claiming that pipe is competition ready? Cause I saw it yesterday and it looked like shit

Is the 13' pipe open at CB?

It was in printed marketing literature from pre-season last year. I haven't been paying attention to CB this year, but did take notice in similar tactics that SNO is using.

Is the 13' pipe open at CB?

It was in printed marketing literature from pre-season last year. I haven't been paying attention to CB this year, but did take notice in similar tactics that SNO is using.

IDK Papa. It's always weather permitting. I have no clue what the weather is doing in PA but I keep hearing that snowmaking temps just aren't happening, and building the pipe totally out of snow means a ton of snow. Thats a far leap from poorly cutting/rarely cutting the pipe.

IDK Papa. It's always weather permitting. I have no clue what the weather is doing in PA but I keep hearing that snowmaking temps just aren't happening, and building the pipe totally out of snow means a ton of snow. Thats a far leap from poorly cutting/rarely cutting the pipe.

Mount Snow took a month to open a superpipe during snowmaking temperatures, with dirt underneath. Mountain Creek used to take a similar time frame. I'm sorry but a 22' pipe without dirt underneath is just stupid in the amount of snow it will take. The Grand Prix made it worth it at MC but as soon as that was gone, the pipe was out. Roundtop had one and lost it. The cost is just too high and a thaw destroys them. With dirt underneith and concerted effort SNO might be able to swing one, but unless there is an event this year that is do or die without the pipe, I can't see it happening. I wish it did, pipe is my favorite discipline in the park. But if Mountain Creek couldn't make it worth with more money, park rats, exposure, and vistors than SNO ever will, I don't think SNO can. Sure it is colder but you are talking an even BIGGER pipe with no dirt underneith, and no event to make it worth it? No way.

Mount Snow took a month to open a superpipe during snowmaking temperatures, with dirt underneath. Mountain Creek used to take a similar time frame. I'm sorry but a 22' pipe without dirt underneath is just stupid in the amount of snow it will take. The Grand Prix made it worth it at MC but as soon as that was gone, the pipe was out. Roundtop had one and lost it. The cost is just too high and a thaw destroys them. With dirt underneith and concerted effort SNO might be able to swing one, but unless there is an event this year that is do or die without the pipe, I can't see it happening. I wish it did, pipe is my favorite discipline in the park. But if Mountain Creek couldn't make it worth with more money, park rats, exposure, and vistors than SNO ever will, I don't think SNO can. Sure it is colder but you are talking an even BIGGER pipe with no dirt underneith, and no event to make it worth it? No way.

Boulder is the only hill in our area that can pull it off. They need to cut a new trail and grade, hopefully ticket sales from last year and this year will warrant a continued expansion. Our area (in proximity to PHilly and NYC) should certainly support pro caliber features. The word just needs to get out more.

I dunno Boulder certainly could pull off the snow making required for it with their weather advantages, but where the F are they going to put it? I feel like the area where there used to be a pipe at JF is doable without too much tree cutting on Exhibition, but you would definately rather have it at Boulder to keep the "scene" intact. I mean a good super pipe is going to be about half the length of the mountain. I guess they could take out the tubing lanes nearest to freedom lift and regrade that, if I remember correctly there are already fan guns there. I feel like the far tubing lanes would be enough combined with the ones at JF to keep tubing people happy. I mean if you are tubing how much do you care? Maybe add a few lanes on the other side. But even then wouldn't you rather have it on the lake side by the plaza where everyone is hanging out to watch pipe riders? That is a SHOWCASE feature and hiding it out behind freedom would be dumb. I feel like putting it at the bottom of boulder park right above the lodge would be sweet where the plaza is but there is just not enough vert to do it without ruining boulder park.

I think the two biggest factors are motivation and weather. The weather at Mountain Creek was too fickle for them to get it done with their snowmaking. If they had snowmaking equal to JFBB or Sno then maybe they could have. But they have all the motivation in the world. I see the motivation for Boulder, they are trying to usurp mountain creek as THE PLACE for park in our area. Sno might want to claim it but they just can't yet. The pipe would put them on the map for some people, but I don't think enough people would be drawn to it for it ever to pay off. I feel like Sno should aim for a solid park but focus more on the free riding more like Blue and Camelback than Boulder. If you look the places with worse terrain Bear, Boulder, Mountain Creek, are much better at park because they need it to stay competitive. Sno doesn't really need a giant pipe to be competitive, and a superpipe is one of those things that you need to bet the farm on or it won't be good. A half assed superpipe is worse than no superpipe because they just wasted a huge amount of snow that could be used elsewhere. Mountain Creek used to make snow on the pipe at the expense of almost everything else during crunch time because the Grand Prix was coming to town and it would be a disaster if they didn't get the pipe done in time - like last year. And now they lost the Grand Prix and all the publicity that came with it because they screwed up one year.

^^^ This is all speculation on my part.

Millt-weg has the pitch (the trail to viewers right of Big BOulder trail), however it is not wide enough. That trail certainly is in the right location for the hype factor. There is probably too much rock to rough grade economically.

The unused tubing run to the far viewers right does not have enough pitch without major regrading plus it is out the "view" - it does appear to have its own tow rope if my memory serves me right.

The Snowdrift area to viewers left of Big Boulder trail adjacent to the deck that it is midslope appears to be wide enough and long enough and has the lift over head. That trail is unused now. Ideally, a pipe like that should have its own rope toe. Some clearing should be done to make it visible from the access road IMO and it is close to the Park Lodge for better event administration. (Does anyone know that history of that Snowdrift area?) - it appears that it was cleared for something specific years ago, what was in mind when they cleared that?

Boulder has the parent company of Peak Resorts and could easily combine with Mount Snow to pool equipment and labor resources inititally. Mount Snow is Hosting the 3rd event of Skier Pipe Tour in March. Boulder has the fire power and colder weather to blow a sufficient amount required for a pipe early on in the season as evidenced last year and this year, which would be key IMO to a long term success.

1/2 pipe is still living strong as evidenced by several new Skier Tours this season. Even the USSA is behind a Pipe event at Breck at the end of February endorsed by Jon Olsen and Simon Dumont. While it appears that there is no way that Skier pipe will be included at Vancouver 2010 there is a movement to have a separate event showcasing skiers in the pipe at the same time of the Olympics. Those who have a vested interest in seeing skiers in an Olympic Pipe are saying that it is a given for 2014.

SNO does appear to be trying to the local hill to host national events. Certainly, demographically with PHilly, NYC and even Wash/Baltimore helps add to a huge popluation that is untapped as far as snow sports go in our region. Mountain Creeek tried but I believe weather and ownership/management change redirected thier focus on investing in competition features/events.

THe Boulder area is a little lacking in accommodations for a large event - but may be not, its just not loaded with typical hotels and isn't (obviously) established as a destination resort..

Summary - If Boulder wanted to market a super pipe, I believe strongly that they could make it work. It just is a little early yet for them to do that. The park they are producing is very very good and way off the radar. Word is getting out albeit slowly by word of mouth that Boulder has more and better quality park than places well known to the north. While the big names will eventually have bigger parks this season - Boulder has had plenty of park for 2 months now.

What would you want - an epic park for 2 months or a really good park for 5 months?

My instructor at Mount Snow had heard of Boulder. It is starting to gain some rep from the early opening and late closings. They took the killington play book and combined it with Bear Mountain, CA and are winning. I would love a pipe somewhere nothing even comes close but it needs to be done right. Boulder could do it right I'm sure except finding a spot. I think Snowdrift was moguls at one point but I'm not sure. We should move this to the boulder forum. Oh and do you know if they're putting the boarder cross features rollers/banked turns etc back on bunny schuss?

(Does anyone know that history of that Snowdrift area?) - it appears that it was cleared for something specific years ago, what was in mind when they cleared that?

Snowdrift was actually the old location of the pipe. It was graded as a pipe and everything at one point. If you look really closely now that there is a thaw you can probably see some evidence of this. They haven't had a pipe there in at least 5-6 years though.

Snowdrift was actually the old location of the pipe. It was graded as a pipe and everything at one point. If you look really closely now that there is a thaw you can probably see some evidence of this. They haven't had a pipe there in at least 5-6 years though.

Interesting!! Thank you for that info... anyone got any more. And yeah could a mod separate this thread and start a Boulder thread with the title Boulder 1/2 Pipe