MLK morning crowd?

IrishSnow686

I was thinking of heading up to Blue tomorrow or Monday morning at open. Normally I would not go on a weekend let alone a holiday weekend, but I have 2 free passes for a weekend/holiday to blue. Was the crowd today an average weekend crown in the morning or was it worse? I'm hoping w/ the really cold temps tomorrow morning that might help hold off the crowd for a few more minutes then normal. I have to look at the weather again and see which of the 2 days is going to have the colder morning and try to go up on that morning. But if the crowds in the morning are worse than the average weekend, then I'll just hold off my free passes until another time.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking of heading up to Blue tomorrow or Monday morning at open. Normally I would not go on a weekend let alone a holiday weekend, but I have 2 free passes for a weekend/holiday to blue. Was the crowd today an average weekend crown in the morning or was it worse? I'm hoping w/ the really cold temps tomorrow morning that might help hold off the crowd for a few more minutes then normal. I have to look at the weather again and see which of the 2 days is going to have the colder morning and try to go up on that morning. But if the crowds in the morning are worse than the average weekend, then I'll just hold off my free passes until another time.

I booted up at 7:15AM this morning. (had to make an adjustment to my bindings and forgot to last night). All the runs were uber icey until enough people cut the corduroy up. It was rough. Now I know why people tread on the grooming crew. Even first one on some runs there are bumps, humps, and all kinds of stuff still out there. They had they guns blowing on the halfpipe which convienantly shoots right into your face first half of the 6packer. around 9 it started getting a bit crowded and around 11 it was packed. The start of sidewinder park for booting up is HORRIBLE. People just sit there and there's hardly any room. A lot of weaving around people is required after 9am if you plan on going tomorrow. I left at 11:30 (I was in line on the 6-packer at 11:05, and got to the lodge at 11:40 because i had to take crosscut to the double lift which is hella long, esp with the ski schooler kids).

A.D.D. Moment... Someone needs to teach Blue's ski team Smartstyle...It's 7:45am, I am in the minipipe, and 30 of those dirtbags come flying around me on both sides, stopping me dead in my tracks. I wanted to trip one of them. :angry: Also, Blue's Park Crue needs to spend less time watching their buddy do jumps in the minipark and fix the landing to the slant rail, how the hell did they miss that? The friggin mat was fully exposed.

I booted up at 7:15AM this morning. (had to make an adjustment to my bindings and forgot to last night). All the runs were uber icey until enough people cut the corduroy up. It was rough. Now I know why people tread on the grooming crew. Even first one on some runs there are bumps, humps, and all kinds of stuff still out there. They had they guns blowing on the halfpipe which convienantly shoots right into your face first half of the 6packer. around 9 it started getting a bit crowded and around 11 it was packed. The start of sidewinder park for booting up is HORRIBLE. People just sit there and there's hardly any room. A lot of weaving around people is required after 9am if you plan on going tomorrow. I left at 11:30 (I was in line on the 6-packer at 11:05, and got to the lodge at 11:40 because i had to take crosscut to the double lift which is hella long, esp with the ski schooler kids).

A.D.D. Moment... Someone needs to teach Blue's ski team Smartstyle...It's 7:45am, I am in the minipipe, and 30 of those dirtbags come flying around me on both sides, stopping me dead in my tracks. I wanted to trip one of them. :angry: Also, Blue's Park Crue needs to spend less time watching their buddy do jumps in the minipark and fix the landing to the slant rail, how the hell did they miss that? The friggin mat was fully exposed.

yes, the race team kids need to stay the hell out of the park when they have two trails closed to train on. pretty sure there's signs up in ski school that specifically say that...

as for the top of sidewinder, i never had a problem with finding space to step in.

The Blue Mountain race team has as much of a right to the terrain runs if not more then the common skiier or border has. There is no reason for them to have to stay on their hills. In terms of the ski school, as part of our policy we are allowed to get to the front of the lift lines. The students pay for the lesson which includes that right along with other staff members. I held a few clinics on sidewinder today and we seemed to have no problems with people at the top of the mountain. The steps at the top of Sidewinder park are for keeping the trail less crowded. The Park Crue has been doing an excellent job of keeping up with all of our terrain and specialty runs at Blue this year. The reason they do tricks for each other is because skiiers and borders who are not priviliged to come every day ask them to. All in all today was not a bad day and there is no reason to be down on Blue! Hope to see you all on the slopes at BLUE!

M.J.S.

Blue Mountain Snowsports staff

Today the crowd at blue was huge! In my department of ski school we had 138 kids from 9am-3pm. The mountain itself was also very crowded. The liftl lines averaged about a 15 minute wait for the two seaters and the 4 and 6 seaters averaged about a 20 minute wait. We expect similar if not worse crowds tomorrow regardless of the temperatures! Hope to see you at Blue!

M. Stock

Blue Mountain Snowsports

try telling the rest of the instructors to keep their lessons off of sidewinder. saw waaaaay too many lessons in there along with race kids and their coaches.

The Blue Mountain race team has as much of a right to the terrain runs if not more then the common skiier or border has. There is no reason for them to have to stay on their hills. In terms of the ski school, as part of our policy we are allowed to get to the front of the lift lines. The students pay for the lesson which includes that right along with other staff members. I held a few clinics on sidewinder today and we seemed to have no problems with people at the top of the mountain. The steps at the top of Sidewinder park are for keeping the trail less crowded. The Park Crue has been doing an excellent job of keeping up with all of our terrain and specialty runs at Blue this year. The reason they do tricks for each other is because skiiers and borders who are not priviliged to come every day ask them to. All in all today was not a bad day and there is no reason to be down on Blue! Hope to see you all on the slopes at BLUE!

M.J.S.

Blue Mountain Snowsports staff

they have no right. they close a trail every time they want to practice. there is NO need for them to come tearing up the lips of the rails and jumps in the park when they have a trail completely closed off for them. if they have the right to come through the park when they have a trail for themselves, then we all have a right to go do some gate training when they are out.

sidewinder is for EXPERTS. if there is a lesson of kids coming through there, i highly doubt they are experts or even know what the features are used for in there. the rest of the mountain has much more to offer for lessons than a terrain park. the only lessons that belong in there are the ski and board freeride programs.

try telling the rest of the instructors to keep their lessons off of sidewinder. saw waaaaay too many lessons in there along with race kids and their coaches.

they have no right. they close a trail every time they want to practice. there is NO need for them to come tearing up the lips of the rails and jumps in the park when they have a trail completely closed off for them. if they have the right to come through the park when they have a trail for themselves, then we all have a right to go do some gate training when they are out.

The Blue Mountain Race team members pay alot of money for unlimited use of our mountain and for use of closed trails at special times. Every skiier or border can do what they please as long as they are under control. If there is a problem then you should find a less popular mountain.

yea it was pretty packed this morning, by 8:45 the rush of folks came on quick, the conditions were dissapointing after thursday night, i guess it turned to rain later and evrything got chunked up - with the snowmaking it went from chalk to hardpack quickly on any given run, the best was barneys with lotsa of soft snow - thought i was gonna have a season ender when a boarder wiped out on the rainbow rail on ltp, he cougt an edge and shot right into my line on the left of the roller, my right ski caught his binding and i body slammed HARD thinkin i dislocated my shoulder, the kid was OK so i cut my losses and called it a morning. by the time i got home the shoulder felt OK but my leg siezed up with a deep bruise to the thigh, cant support any weight unless my knee is locked - time for the wal-buprofin and ice.......

see you in the gates tomorrow. if they ask, i'll say that MJS told me that i could.

I never stated that you could be in the gates. Closed trails mean you must stay off or it will result in immediate revoking of your pass. What I did say is that you can do whatever you please as long as you are in control and it is a publically opened trail.

I never stated that you could be in the gates. Closed trails mean you must stay off or it will result in immediate revoking of your pass. What I did say is that you can do whatever you please as long as you are in control and it is a publically opened trail.

thanks for clearing that up. i'll see you in the park tomorrow with your lesson following behind you. great.

thanks for clearing that up. i'll see you in the park tomorrow with your lesson following behind you. great.

Our lessons also have the right to be on Sidewinder as I said. There are lessons that focus on terrain and specialty runs. And if you feel that is not right I suggest avoiding Sidewinder.

I'm sorry, but you either must be a sarcastic motherfucking playing a joke on us, or one serious arrogant blind-to-issues son of a bitch that should not be representing the McDonalds in Allentown yet alone Blue Mountain. It frightens me to know that you are making administrative decisions, being a Blue passholder.

Let me explain something to you:

Sidewinder is what we like to call an EXPERT TERRAIN PARK. I believe stated in BIG BOLD FUCKING LETTERS, on the warning sign at the beginning of the trail, FREESTYLE SKILLS REQUIRED, along with a bunch of other precautionary statements regarding the unsafeness of the trail and the fact that you MUST be an expert to ski it. If you are unsure of this, I shall be happy to take a picture for you. The stairs were NOT designed for crowd control, although that's what they serve as. They were designed to DISCOURAGE blatently unskilled skiers/riders from entering the park. Having beginner lessons run through the park completely voids the precautions listed on the sign. I don't have too much of a problem of racers going through Sidewinder, but they still need to obey park etiqutte:

1. STAY AWAY from the jump line if you do not plan on hitting the jumps or leaving the area in a timely manner.

2. DO NOT use rail lips as jumps.

3. DO NOT sit, stop, gather, or otherwise block the landing of ANY feature, especially jumps.

4. DO NOT follow ANYONE in the jump line, give them a 2-3 jump lead as a minimum.

Cheers! If you have any questions just ask!

Ok that was harsh, but with all the explaining above and he still doesn't understand...come on...

The ski school and race teams aren't the only ones who pay to ski that mountain.

The parks are for the jib-honks, if you want to teach someone to jib, have an entry level park setup somewhere on the mountain and use that.

The jib-honks have waited WAY too damn long to be able to even use sidewinder for it to be wasted and torn up by nub'z and people who don't belong there.

Yeah the steps are a great idea, but they just attract the curious george's that much more..

If they have a trail closed off for their use then use the damn thing or let someone else who paid to use the mountain use it.

Just because someone is wearing a blue jacket doesn't give them the right to treat the others on the mountain like they don't belong there.

We all paid to be there, and we all deserve the right to be treated equally. Sure We all can understand closing a trail for private use here and there, and that

certain areas of the mountain are designed for certain use... well Sidewinder is designated as a terrain park meant for experts not for someone in the ski school.

You won't see any experts messing around in the ski school area...

S M A R T S T Y L E

Use it...

Ok that was harsh, but with all the explaining above and he still doesn't understand...come on...

The ski school and race teams aren't the only ones who pay to ski that mountain.

The parks are for the jib-honks, if you want to teach someone to jib, have an entry level park setup somewhere on the mountain and use that.

The jib-honks have waited WAY too damn long to be able to even use sidewinder for it to be wasted and torn up by nub'z and people who don't belong there.

Yeah the steps are a great idea, but they just attract the curious george's that much more..

If they have a trail closed off for their use then use the damn thing or let someone else who paid to use the mountain use it.

Just because someone is wearing a blue jacket doesn't give them the right to treat the others on the mountain like they don't belong there.

We all paid to be there, and we all deserve the right to be treated equally. Sure We all can understand closing a trail for private use here and there, and that

certain areas of the mountain are designed for certain use... well Sidewinder is designated as a terrain park meant for experts not for someone in the ski school.

You won't see any experts messing around in the ski school area...

S M A R T S T Y L E

Use it...

Thank you all for your kind comments and I hope to see you on the slopes at Blue, the Pocono's Best Ski area!!

Thank you all for your kind comments and I hope to see you on the slopes at Blue, the Pocono's Best Ski area!!

In your opinion... reading some of the recent reviews Blue has some work to do to be "the Pocono's Best Ski area!!"

Although better than most, the word "best" is kind of a definitive term that most mountains hardly live up to, especially in PA.

You're so arrogant.

The ski team is ignorant. They ran over my skis in the lift line a few weeks ago. The instructors don't care about anyone except their little kids. I pay to ski Blue Mountain just like the ski team. Why can't I ski the trails they hog up to them selves? The ski team doesn't do anything for the greater good of the mountain. They just take up all trails and use them like they are the only ones there.