New trails?

Ski

Snake was open for a couple days already this year. I think technically you could get to it though the glades yesterday, but you might not have liked what your skis looked like afterwards. I saw a few kids pretty deep in the glades. As for Sidewinder you can see when you pass over on long haul that it still needs a lot more snow. There was a snow gun in the woods, but there are some big stumps they will have to cover.

When they finally open - Snake --> sidewinder --> rattler should be a fun top to bottom run.

What's it like??

Rattler is not a very long trail, but it is a fun change of pace. The trail is only ~15 feet wide (about a cat track). It's tough right away b/c you have a steep headwall which throws you into a curved right turn, then another turn to the left but then its an intermediate pitched runout to cannonball. Other than skiing glades I don't know if I'd skiied a narrower trail.

I'll see if i can dig up a picture or two.

Rattler was open today. Snoskier's description is dead on...they borrowed the netting from the left side, so you have to be careful about those trees, for sure. Upper Runaway was closed this weekend for grooming. They piled up tons of snow and just started grooming it after lunch today. They made snow all over the mountain last night, which I didn't really understand----and I'm sure not complaining. Cannonball had a few inches of smokey powder on top of cord and was amazing. Smoke and WL were bumped up---and the icy spot at the top of Smoke was fixed. Today was much better than yesterday, which just goes to show that cold snowmaking is better than typical PA natural snow.

Heresy, blown then groomed snow is never better than even the moistest freshly fallen snow. Tracked out snow vs. fresh groomed maybe you have a point.

Hehehehe....I suppose it's hard for Colorado locals to know what falls out of PA clouds. Rarely does natural PA snow billow up from your edges and leave a cloud behind, while dry manmade does. That's how I judge new snow. But, then again, I prefer skiing after it's rained, then frozen over...talk about heresy, eh?

It's not snow blowing behind you, it's that soft compression under your feet that makes you feel like your floating. Even an inch or two (if it's heavy enough, which in PA it is) is enough to make you feel lighter than you actually are. At least thats why I love powder. That and being able to jump off stuff that would otherwise break my legs, but you get the idea.

It's not snow blowing behind you, it's that soft compression under your feet that makes you feel like your floating. Even an inch or two (if it's heavy enough, which in PA it is) is enough to make you feel lighter than you actually are. At least thats why I love powder. That and being able to jump off stuff that would otherwise break my legs, but you get the idea.

I'm the worst person on PASR to discuss floating skis. My skis are purposely narrow under foot. But in PA, most big snowfalls come late in the season as Nor'Easters and--by definition--have a lot of Atlantic moisture. I've seen boarders having a great time surfing wet snow, but I just sink in it.

I spent all day Saturday in a pizza wedge slipping snow off the race course. Natural snow is a pain in the butt. And, yes, I recognize the heresy of that on a ski/ride MB.