Ski's Wet TR 3/4/8

Ski

My phone rang yesterday afternoon and it was none other than one of the founding members of PASR, our own Skidude, on a break from the illustrious Green Mountain Valley School, in Vermont. For those that are new to PASR, Skidude was one of the most grateful kids to ThinkSnow, since he was one of the more regularly banned posters on CB's MB. ThinkSnow gave Skidude a home---as well as a place for all of us---otheriwse, I don't know what road the young, impressionable boy would have taken. Prison, most likely. Instead, The 'Dude became a great racer on the CAT team and has been dating a former Shawnee ski racing breezy, who now also attends GMVS.

Here's the conversation:

"Ski!"

"Dude?"

"Yeah, Ski!"

"What's up, Dude?"

"I'm in town and I have free passes to CB! Let's ski tomorrow!"

"It's gonna pour, Dude."

"I know! So what?"

"See you tomorrow, Dude."

So the inaugural Welcome Home Skidude Day was born. Maybe 28 people turned out for the event---eh, not that they knew they were there for it---as heavy rains moved into the Camelback highlands.

What was the ride down like for me? Remember, although I grew up at CB, my last visit was going to be my last. A customer service employee, who later posed as his own supervisor, refused to give me a comp ticket for my daughter, despite her being below the height minimum. Blah, blah, blah...but I was feeling a little like I was going to visit my first ex wife. My evil, first ex wife.

The 40 minute ride went from drizzle to downpour and I wasn't even sure the lifts would be running. I was early for our 1pm meeting and I didn't see another skier...just a ancient snowboarder with a long-ass beard and a blue Labatt Beer snowboard.

Dude booted up in the lodge and we started the afternoon on Marjie's, which turned out to be the best slope of the day. We did a few more runs on the west side, then Dude suggested we hit the east side before the lifts closed over there. CB was closing at 4pm. Cliffy was okay, with just one thin spot at the top flat area. Pharaoh was pretty good, especially below the lift crossing. Back on the east side, we hit the bumps on Rocket, which is now a dedicated bump run. How are the bumps? Well, the weather made them lousy today, but I can say that it is an awesome bump run. The moguls have rhythm, are well set, and you have a good choice of lines. I'd say it's the best bump run I've skied in the Poconos. Ever.

Hump was fun, but the rain was really having a bad effect on the headwall---it was as if the snow was washing off. A really strange thing. You edge your ski and you could feel water instead of slush or snow. Asp was pretty good, too. We hit Big Pocono and The Dude showed me an awesome jump out of Dromedary.

We skied in the downpour for nearly two hours, making close to 20 runs. We were both drenched. The Dude taught me a trick: instead of wiping your goggles, you just jerk your head really fast and the water flies off. It's a little disconcerting at 40mph, though. I recommend only doing it at low speeds.

I'm sure Craig is a little curious about my opinion of CB...and here's the deal: skiing is, or at least should be, more about the people you are with than the mountain you're on. I was mad at CB because I forgot that---I let one guy in some office ruin something for me, which is my own fault. Without the crowds, CB is a great place. I was skiing with an old friend today and it really couldn't have gotten any better. Rain? What rain?

Some pics:

Rain on Rt.380

The mountain shrouded in clouds

Rob was obviously not in the house

Did Craig report machine groomed packed powder?

Variable?

I wanna check out Monica Lewinsky night

Lift window inspector

They come for the skiing, but stay for the tubing

View from the lift: like the French Alps (when someone spills a bag of Skittles)

The 'Dude on Marjie's

The 'Dude on Cliffy

I see dead people

A tribute to Doug

Me and The 'Dude

It was still raining on the way home

Edited by ski

I'm sure Craig is a little curious about my opinion of CB...and here's the deal: skiing is, or at least should be, more about the people you are with than the mountain you're on. I was mad at CB because I forgot that---I let one guy in some office ruin something for me, which is my own fault. Without the crowds, CB is a great place. I was skiing with an old friend today and it really couldn't have gotten any better. Rain? What rain?

That is so true, I let Camelback's employees & park deter me from going there for 2 years after having gone there nearly every weekend of every winter as a child. I went back this year 3 times to meet up with people I knew, and had a blast each time. Camelback still has the best on trail free riding in the poconos. Blue may be steeper in a few places, Jack Frost might have some better stuff that is unmarked, but combine Camelback's terrain with high speed lifts on a weekday with no crowds and it can not be beat anywhere in the Poconos.

Great report. One might think that you were once a ski reporter. Your captions are second to none. I'd love to give you the picture writing prompts for the 5th grade state test. Your responses could probably be published.

Ha, thanks Poc. I was in a great mood after spending the afternoon hangin' with the 'Dude.

Hey Ski,

Back in your CB days were you day tripping from NJ or did you have a house in the Pokes?

This house was our vacation home and became our full time home during my fairly recent CB days when I was getting my oldest to CAT practice. CB's kind of a rough ride from here---just under 45 minutes, but the first 23 miles are winding country roads.

But very doable, Poc ;)

Back in November when Atomic Jeff and I were at Mount Snow we skied a few runs with Skidude and also KrazyK2 from on here. Apparently Skimom has been MIA..Missing in Action for quite some time. I met her at the Tanglewood Go-Pro event almost two years ago..and back then she was a total vert whore and really into skiing..then she and Papasteeze hooked up..just kidding..and she bought a horse and that's all I know so far. I think Metz and Skimom might have had a fling..just a rumor though..lol..

Skimom is a patroller :o I can say no more. Eh, except to say "Thanks for the tickets, 'Mom. We miss you!"

:)