Camelback TR 3-26-08

RidgeRacer

Hey all

Got to Camelback today a little after 11. I called first because it was windy and I wanted to make sure the lifts were running. They said yes so I made my way over there. Booted up, walked into the welcome center to get my ticket. I thought I heard someone mention that they will be open until April 6th...so I asked the lady behind the counter and she said that they will in fact be open until April 6th. My jaw nearly dropped to the floor. This also makes me a bit angry that Jack Frost easily could have done the same. Yes I know BB opened on 11-10 and I know BB is still open (on weekends only) but I didn't purchase a JFBB pass to ski at BB. Anyway thats for another thread...onto the TR...

Made my way up the Sullivan and took my first run on the Rocket. The base near the lift as well as the top is getting really thin. The trails themselves still have good cover. Conditons were fast mashed potatoes all over the Mt, a typical spring day. After the Rocket I headed to the East side and did laps on Phaoroe (sp?) and Cliffhanger. Cliffhanger really didn't have any icy spots today as yesterday it was full of ice. Cliffy was easily the run of the day. Nile Mile had a "Thin Cover" sign at the entrance so I stayed of it. After a number of laps off the the Stevenson I made my way back to the West side. The entrance to the Stevenson quad was becoming straight slush and water. The crossover trails are also really thin and the ground was starting to appear in spots. I did laps on Margies, Rocket, The Hump and just after 1 the snow was becoming really grabby and slow especially on the run outs...plus a snowsnake got me on The Rocket so I called it a day.

Overall a great spring day at CB. There is still lots of snow in spots but there are also real thin / sketchy areas as well. If they push it around and the weather cooperates they should have no problem making it until the 6th...and props to them if that does happen. That would be sweet. :clap

Hey all

Got to Camelback today a little after 11. I called first because it was windy and I wanted to make sure the lifts were running. They said yes so I made my way over there. Booted up, walked into the welcome center to get my ticket. I thought I heard someone mention that they will be open until April 6th...so I asked the lady behind the counter and she said that they will in fact be open until April 6th. My jaw nearly dropped to the floor. This also makes me a bit angry that Jack Frost easily could have done the same. Yes I know BB opened on 11-10 and I know BB is still open (on weekends only) but I didn't purchase a JFBB pass to ski at BB. Anyway thats for another thread...onto the TR...

Made my way up the Sullivan and took my first run on the Rocket. The base near the lift as well as the top is getting really thin. The trails themselves still have good cover. Conditons were fast mashed potatoes all over the Mt, a typical spring day. After the Rocket I headed to the East side and did laps on Phaoroe (sp?) and Cliffhanger. Cliffhanger really didn't have any icy spots today as yesterday it was full of ice. Cliffy was easily the run of the day. Nile Mile had a "Thin Cover" sign at the entrance so I stayed of it. After a number of laps off the the Stevenson I made my way back to the West side. The entrance to the Stevenson quad was becoming straight slush and water. The crossover trails are also really thin and the ground was starting to appear in spots. I did laps on Margies, Rocket, The Hump and just after 1 the snow was becoming really grabby and slow especially on the run outs...plus a snowsnake got me on The Rocket so I called it a day.

Overall a great spring day at CB. There is still lots of snow in spots but there are also real thin / sketchy areas as well. If they push it around and the weather cooperates they should have no problem making it until the 6th...and props to them if that does happen. That would be sweet. :clap

Indeed.

...they will be open until April 6th...so I asked the lady behind the counter and she said that they will in fact be open until April 6th. My jaw nearly dropped to the floor. This also makes me a bit angry that Jack Frost easily could have done the same. ...

JF lost their customers after the bad rain storms and didn't do any promotions (excluding the last week, which was too late). CB also has a lot more snow than what JF has.

... Conditons were fast mashed potatoes all over the Mt, a typical spring day. ...

This time of the year, you have to get their at opening, for really good conditions. I got there at 9 and the snow was already starting to get soft and heavy.

Looks like Saturday (unless its pouring rain) is CB day for me. Even got my ski bud rolling up there with me. I think we're doin crimes and goin totally ghetto. Park in Handicapper spot for clutch VIP parking, bring a case of PBR pounders and brownbag lunches for the deck, flasks filled with shots of undetermined booze, and then just try to sneak on the lift til Wayne busts our asses. Might even try to use an old season pass. What's the holder strap color for this year? Alternatively, calls are going out to a few patroller buds that might have comp tix they'll scalp for a few sheckles. B) Stokeage..........