3 quad lifts at Bear?

ColoradoHigh

if they put the quad that has half as many chairs but runs twice as fast there are gonna but should lift rides but longer waits in the lines meaning that your gonna have the same amount of runs... i think someone said something like that before.... this is assuming that it will be twice as fast with half as many chairs... however im thinking alot more new people are gonna mess up on a highspeed because a lot do already on regular so bear prob shouldnt put in one when they can spend it elsewhere...

if they put the quad that has half as many chairs but runs twice as fast there are gonna but should lift rides but longer waits in the lines meaning that your gonna have the same amount of runs... i think someone said something like that before.... this is assuming that it will be twice as fast with half as many chairs... however im thinking alot more new people are gonna mess up on a highspeed because a lot do already on regular so bear prob shouldnt put in one when they can spend it elsewhere...

yeah thats why the double was so nice becuase they didnt have to stop it all the time from people falling getting on/off or forgetting to get off. even with a large group the double was still nice a little waiting at the top but it was still chill.

like where are they gonna spend it. they already have a hotel and beutiful lodge. i say horray for quads!

like where are they gonna spend it. they already have a hotel and beutiful lodge. i say horray for quads!

im not saying the new regular quad is a bad idea but a new high speed quad .... but they probably didnt even need it because they opened the double lift on weekends and even then there wasnt much of a line....

besides they should invest in that plastic fiber material for snowboarding in the summer i cant remember what its called but i heard they tried to get it before

im not saying the new regular quad is a bad idea but a new high speed quad .... but they probably didnt even need it because they opened the double lift on weekends and even then there wasnt much of a line....

besides they should invest in that plastic fiber material for snowboarding in the summer i cant remember what its called but i heard they tried to get it before

snowflex, the groomers would crush the irrigation system blah blah blah

screw that, put in a gondola so i can keep my ass warm on the ride up. although it is kinda short! maybe they'd let me just stay on for a few laps! haha

I was comparing the old challenge double to the new six pack...grapes to coconuts..but a high speed detachable quad and a fixed grip quad have about the same hourly campacity..I'm good at math so don't try to argue numbers with me...it's like this..

Fixed Grip quad...runs about 500 feet per minute..chairs are spaced about 50 feet apart..10 chairs per minute with four per chair and 60 minutes in an hour and the hourly uphill capacity is.....2400 skiers/riders...

High Speed Detachable quad..runs about 1,000 feet per minute..chairs are spaced about 100 feet apart..10 chairs per minute with four per chair and 60 minutes in an hour and the hourly uphill capacity is...2,400 skiers/riders..

Loading and unloading chairs at less than 5 second intervals...(closer chair spacing) can lead to serious carnage..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detachable_chairlift

"The significance of detachable chairlift technology is primarily the speed and capacity. Detachable chairlifts move far faster than their fixed-grip brethren, averaging 1200 feet per minute (13.6 mph, 6 m/s) versus a typical fix-grip speed of 500 ft/min (5.5 mph, 2.5 m/s). Because the cable moves faster than most passengers could safely disembark and load, each chair is connected to the cable by a powerful spring-loaded cable grip which detaches at terminals and slows considerably for convenient loading and unloading, typically 200 ft/min (2.2 mph, 1 m/s), a speed slower even than fixed-grip bunny chairlifts."

thats the first error in the math. HSDQ's run at 1200 feet/min rather than 1000. however i cant find how many chairs unload a minute so its hard to complete the math. so who knows???

I was comparing the old challenge double to the new six pack...grapes to coconuts..but a high speed detachable quad and a fixed grip quad have about the same hourly campacity..I'm good at math so don't try to argue numbers with me...it's like this..

Fixed Grip quad...runs about 500 feet per minute..chairs are spaced about 50 feet apart..10 chairs per minute with four per chair and 60 minutes in an hour and the hourly uphill capacity is.....2400 skiers/riders...

High Speed Detachable quad..runs about 1,000 feet per minute..chairs are spaced about 100 feet apart..10 chairs per minute with four per chair and 60 minutes in an hour and the hourly uphill capacity is...2,400 skiers/riders..

Loading and unloading chairs at less than 5 second intervals...(closer chair spacing) can lead to serious carnage..

Math is easy when you make up your own numbers. :wiggle

i would of gladly not have had them install a new quad in favor of replanting trees and regrading timberline so its the old timberline. bear needs a longer trail, and i honestly dont think they will ever have one due to the geography. old timberline was their only shot...

Think about it, assuming equal number of total people on the lift and in the queue. For example a 100 chair HSDQ has 400 people on the lift, and 600 in the line and runs at 5m/s. A 200 chair FG Quad has 800 people on the lift, and 200 in line and runs at 2.5m/s. That 200th person, is going to get to the top of the mountain just as fast as the person at the back of the 600 person line.

Sure, the HSDQ moves people up the mountain 2x as fast, but it needs to, because it's line has 400 more people in it. Likewise, the FG is twice as slow, but has twice as many people on the lift.

I love HSDQ's, especially when it's not crowded, but they don't necessarily increase uphill capacity. Maybe effective capacity, but not the actual. capacity

Because you decided to ignore my first post and continue to post more bs you made up, I will again remind you that your just plain wrong. First 5/ms is on the very low end of what high speeds do, they can travel as fast as 12m/s additionally your chair spacing is off. The only way they are more efficient is if you look at it as cost/capacity, even then you would need multiple cheap fixed grips.

Mad River did the lift installation at BC last time and probably this time as well, Eric who works for MRL is a friend of mine who has 20 years experience working on lifts for Garaventa, CTEC and Doppel I'm not making these numbers up.

BC will never see a High Speed or Gondy, unless they use my idea to turn the place into a landfill.....Hello 500 more vert.

Here is some stuff straight from Doppelmayr/CTEC:

"Detachable Chairlifts...carriers for two, four, six or eight passengers...transport capacities for up to 4,000 pph...can be operated at line speeds of up to 5 m/s."

"Fixed Grip chairlifts...double, quad or six-seater...rope speeds up to 3 m/s. Transport capacity can reach 3200 persons per hour."

My math:

4000 pph/8 seats = 500 pph/seat for detachable

3200 pph/6 seats = 533 pph/seat for fixed grip

Granted, this is not comparing one quad to another per se, but one brand's greatest capacity on a fixed vs. detachable.

Hope this helps.

(I would deduce that the two capacities are essentially the same.)

Edited by Phil

Here is some stuff straight from Doppelmayr/CTEC:

"Detachable Chairlifts...carriers for two, four, six or eight passengers...transport capacities for up to 4,000 pph...can be operated at line speeds of up to 5 m/s."

"Fixed Grip chairlifts...double, quad or six-seater...rope speeds up to 3 m/s. Transport capacity can reach 3200 persons per hour."

My math:

4000 pph/8 seats = 500 pph/seat for detachable

3200 pph/6 seats = 533 pph/seat for fixed grip

Granted, this is not comparing one quad to another per se, but one brand's greatest capacity on a fixed vs. detachable.

Hope this helps.

(I would deduce that the two capacities are essentially the same.)

Thanks for the real numbers.

It is well known that at maximum capacity the fixed grip and detachable move about the same number of people up the hill. As people have said, the chairs are spaced out further.

While a lot is said about spacing the chairs out evenly - a bigger problem is loading and unloading the people at a safe rate. You really can't load/unload people much faster than they do. Thats why you go to 4,6,8 person chairs rather than doubles, and then above that gondolas. Loading a chair is inherently serial, while loading a gondola can be done in parallel.

So why install them? Because customers like them. The ride IS shorter per person, so when you are on an exposed lift in frigid wind (note - do not go to camelback to experience this effect) you won't be frozen to the core by the time you get off. And if the chair isn't at max capacity, you get several more runs per day. They are also easier for noobs to get on and off of. And a lot of people also think they ARE faster.

It looks like you guys are correct. Below is a response from a friend in the lift industry. I would have never thought this to be true but Brad would know. :bow

"Hi FGT,

The capacity of a FGQ and HSQ are the same...the maximum allowed being 2,400 pph. A high speed model allows resorts to provide a faster trip for skiers, while a fixed grip allows more skiers to be absorbed riding the chair. Chair spacing is limited to an interval of say 10 seconds or so (I can't tell you the exact # without looking at ANSI), hence why chairs are closer spaced on fixed models and farther on HSQs. As you can expect, resorts have theirs reasons for selecting either.

Hope this helps,

Brad"

It looks like you guys are correct. Below is a response from a friend in the lift industry. I would have never thought this to be true but Brad would know. :bow

"Hi FGT,

The capacity of a FGQ and HSQ are the same...the maximum allowed being 2,400 pph. A high speed model allows resorts to provide a faster trip for skiers, while a fixed grip allows more skiers to be absorbed riding the chair. Chair spacing is limited to an interval of say 10 seconds or so (I can't tell you the exact # without looking at ANSI), hence why chairs are closer spaced on fixed models and farther on HSQs. As you can expect, resorts have theirs reasons for selecting either.

Hope this helps,

Brad"

Humans are always the limiting factor in engineering,

Of course these are the theoretical maximum capacity, every time the lift stops you go below that. Since people fall a lot less often getting on and off high speed detach lifts they run closer to their theoretical maximum than a regular lift.