Jay Peak

train36

I have never been here but am constantly checking their website during the season and amazed at the amount of snow they get. I would like to try to get there this year. How long does it take from Philly? Who has been there ? The reason I bing this up is I just watched a pretty cool video on the website , check it out : Jay Peak

Rode there last year. Wasn't super impressed with the terrain, nothing really that difficult at least in my mind. Would be awesome if you got there in the middle of a storm cycle. When i was there it was icy. It's cheaper then stowe, but i think Stowe is a much better place to go. Terrain is much better.

Rode there last year. Wasn't super impressed with the terrain, nothing really that difficult at least in my mind. Would be awesome if you got there in the middle of a storm cycle. When i was there it was icy. It's cheaper then stowe, but i think Stowe is a much better place to go. Terrain is much better.

Ignore this, Stowe has better terrain but not by a whole lot and its mad more $$$. They are also owned by AIG so their getting sold, I bet it just gets more expensive.

The Face is pretty gnar for NE, Big Jay is good too, but its 9-10 hours from Philly, regardless of what Map Quest says the last 60 or so miles are really slow. The best way from philly is what GSS said but the 87 way isn't too bad either.

Two years ago I had a day there with 27", twas good.

Jay Peak is awesome. Good runs and excellent trees. Certainly worth checking out.

Problem is it can get cold. Real cold.

Last year I went end of the season, and it was pretty much perfect. If your willing to wait, they have these slope side condos which during the regular season cost some ungodly amount of money, but the day late season starts they get dramatically reduced to about the price of a regular motel room. I had an nice long weekend of jumping off my balcony right onto the slopes.

I heard Jay gets real cold but for great snow I will freeze. Stowe is definitely on my short list as well, I want to try to make it there there this year. Jay is more of a long shot but a possibility. Stowe and Mount Snow are two that I definitely want to hit up this year.

I've been going to Jay Peak for the past 2 years. This year will be my third. We go with a bunch of people and stay at the Inglenook Lodge. Its not to expensive, and its uber nice. The food is good, and its only about a 3 minute drive to Jay.

The terrain is really fun for me. I like it. My favorite trails there are The Jet, the trails next to the Jet just cause you can straight line the entire trail and get uber speeds, and I also like the trail from the Tram to Ullr's Dream, and Ullrs dream it self.

It never really gets busy on weekdays, even around Christmas time (when I go), lift lines don't get long at all. The longest lift line I got in last year was 5 minutes. There about 3 high speed quads, a tram, and a few more fixed grips. The farthest quad on the right (if you are looking towards the mountain), can get shut down often if its high winds. The lift gets shut down because of cross winds, and the lift line swings violently. Not fun to be on. But its usually open. They are even planning to expand with 10-12 trails to the right of the mountain, and 2, maybe 3 more HSQ's.

The snow they get is amazing. Very great powder. It snows very often because of the "Jay" cloud. Last year, by Christmas, they had over 7-8 feet of snow. The lodge I stayed in has a deck. The deck door was snowed in cause of the drifted snow. It does indeed get very cold. But just dress in layers, and you'll be set.

I recommend Jay Peak to EVERYONE. Its a hidden gem with plenty of snow, and plenty of skiing. Its great, and I really enjoy going up every year.

what is your familiarity with the rest of the mountains in VT?

I haven't been to any of the other VT mountains, but i know that the other mountains are much more commercialized and have more people living around those mountains.

Jay Peak isn't as commercialized and have less people living around Jay, and the mountain is usually never crowded.

I haven't been to any of the other VT mountains, but i know that the other mountains are much more commercialized and have more people living around those mountains.

Jay Peak isn't as commercialized and have less people living around Jay, and the mountain is usually never crowded.

Ever been to Burke or Magic ?

Regardless your mostly right but they are ramping up development at Jay, so go now if you like it the way it is.

Ever been to Burke or Magic ?

Regardless your mostly right but they are ramping up development at Jay, so go now if you like it the way it is.

They are, thats because its gaining popularity. Maybe its a good thing, so they will have a larger revenue, and expand the mountain.

I don't know what some of these people are talking about, Jay blows stowe away... the whole damn place is woods and you can ski all of it!! And the best part is that even with the better terrain, it is like a solid $30 cheaper a day. Seriously, leave stowe, drive an extra hour or two and go ski jay

I don't know what some of these people are talking about, Jay blows stowe away... the whole damn place is woods and you can ski all of it!! And the best part is that even with the better terrain, it is like a solid $30 cheaper a day. Seriously, leave stowe, drive an extra hour or two and go ski jay

You've clearly never explored stowe then.

I've been going to Jay Peak for the past 2 years. This year will be my third. We go with a bunch of people and stay at the Inglenook Lodge. Its not to expensive, and its uber nice. The food is good, and its only about a 3 minute drive to Jay.

The terrain is really fun for me. I like it. My favorite trails there are The Jet, the trails next to the Jet just cause you can straight line the entire trail and get uber speeds, and I also like the trail from the Tram to Ullr's Dream, and Ullrs dream it self.

It never really gets busy on weekdays, even around Christmas time (when I go), lift lines don't get long at all. The longest lift line I got in last year was 5 minutes. There about 3 high speed quads, a tram, and a few more fixed grips. The farthest quad on the right (if you are looking towards the mountain), can get shut down often if its high winds. The lift gets shut down because of cross winds, and the lift line swings violently. Not fun to be on. But its usually open. They are even planning to expand with 10-12 trails to the right of the mountain, and 2, maybe 3 more HSQ's.

The snow they get is amazing. Very great powder. It snows very often because of the "Jay" cloud. Last year, by Christmas, they had over 7-8 feet of snow. The lodge I stayed in has a deck. The deck door was snowed in cause of the drifted snow. It does indeed get very cold. But just dress in layers, and you'll be set.

I recommend Jay Peak to EVERYONE. Its a hidden gem with plenty of snow, and plenty of skiing. Its great, and I really enjoy going up every year.

What's the tuypical snowfall at Christmas? We are looking for somewhere to spend the holiday this year but booking a trip for me guarantees no snow. :P

No, unless you hike up to the top of mansfield and ski back down to the top of the trails, I stand by my opinion that jay beats stowe... don't get me wong stowe is great and has some awesome woods,drops,etc. But i think jays are just more fun and even though we are arguing about terrain, price always matters!

Your leaving out the whole area of the chin...

I agree, Jay is one of my favorite places on the East Coast but Stowe and the Notch (the area not the resort) have much more gnar gnar terrain. Besides the face Jay doesn't have the terrain like stowe.

Erin808 - Christmas...... go West....occasionally VT is worth traveling for around Christmas but most years things haven't really started cooking yet. 06 I think was almost a total wash out.

What's the tuypical snowfall at Christmas? We are looking for somewhere to spend the holiday this year but booking a trip for me guarantees no snow. :P

Uhh, i would say between 1-3 feet for a week. Snowed every day last winter. About 4 inches per day.

I agree, Jay is one of my favorite places on the East Coast but Stowe and the Notch (the area not the resort) have much more gnar gnar terrain. Besides the face Jay doesn't have the terrain like stowe.

Erin808 - Christmas...... go West....occasionally VT is worth traveling for around Christmas but most years things haven't really started cooking yet. 06 I think was almost a total wash out.

:( Everything's so expensive at Christmas and its not even that good out West. It's just by the time you know its going to be good, there are NO accomodations in VT. We need to save money anyway...