CB expansion?

joeskier

so ussually by this time CB annouces their new attraction for the summer? is there going to be one or could they save some money for some ski area expansion? maybe those east side trails that have been planned for years, i know this topic comes up once a year. but i think its long overdue they do something new for the ski area!! Camelbeach already has the most waterslides in PA i think this is the summer to expand the ski area. :confused

Well they haven't come out with a new summer ride...Or even had mention of one yet...>Which is a good thing. I guess it would be some time in summer they would say if they were cutting more trails. However I don't think they can easily cut more trails since they don't really own the land that they would be cutting on.

I guess we will have to wait and see....

cb owns a lot of good ski land to the east of the mountian their used to be another ski resort their many years ago, befor camleback bought it and the land that cb is useing currently. i think you can still see one of the lifts among the trees during the day.

The last rumor I heard was a another "bowl" slide similar to that of the spin cycle/vortex type slides. I also heard a log flume rumor, there are plenty of them (rumors), but I'm sure they'll add something to disperse the summer crowds to another attraction.

cb owns a lot of good ski land to the east of the mountian their used to be another ski resort their many years ago, befor camleback bought it and the land that cb is useing currently. i think you can still see one of the lifts among the trees during the day.

really, im pretty sure almost positve that land east of nile mile is state game land. i have never heard of this, tell me more about this though.

Edited by lineski2007

I am pretty sure that, although that old ski area is east of CB somewhere, that the area to the east of upper Nile is state land. We've hiked there in the summer. I think the old ski area is quite a bit down the hill from Nile, possibly just above and to the west of that condo neighborhood.

I am pretty sure that, although that old ski area is east of CB somewhere, that the area to the east of upper Nile is state land.  We've hiked there in the summer.  I think the old ski area is quite a bit down the hill from Nile, possibly just above and to the west of that condo neighborhood.

Hmm, I could have sworn some threads back on the official CB mb that claimed CB owned what used to be big pocono ski area. I know the top of the mountain and to the west of CB (past the housing) is state game land, but didn't know it came around to the east of CB as well.

Hmm, I could have sworn some threads back on the official CB mb that claimed CB owned what used to be big pocono ski area. I know the top of the mountain and to the west of CB (past the housing) is state game land, but didn't know it came around to the east of CB as well.

yeah i thought i saw that too on the other board. its too bad if they don't own it. the state should let them expand on it anyway. they need to do something though to keep us regulars amused. i think the once a year weekend skiers could care less.

After I reading the post last night I kept looking off the side of Nile Mile for signs of an old ski area. No old lift posts were found as per one of the previous posts. But, there is an old lodge visible from the Nile Mile and even from the top of Cliff.

While going down Nile look toward the bottom toward the tubing park and you will see a white building. Someone told me that building used to be the old ski lodge and it was called Big Pocono Ski Area.

I remember seeing some old photos and stuff on the wall in the back of the cafeteria, next to old skis and stuff. I'll have to check that area of the cafeteria to see if there are any photos or history of the previous ski area up on the wall.

This topo map is interesting. I think it was last updated prior to Nile Mile.

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=18&n=454...315&datum=nad83

The wide trail must be raceway and to the right is Bactrain.

Toward the bottom of Bactrain you see a black dot in the area of that white building in the woods today, possibly the old ski lodge.

There are some hiking/biking trails in the summer to the left (looking up at the mountain), but they are all on state land, and deffinatly would need to be widened A LOT before skiers could get down them with out killing themselves.

Not so. On the rare ocaisons that we get a decent of snow, my friends and I ski the south trail (To the left of Nile). What you do is as soon as you get off the Stevenson, you click out and bolt up the hill there into the forest. You bushwack for a little bit and come to the road in the state game lands that's above CB. You then make a left and find the old south trail.

You need to know the right turns to make to get back to CB though, or you'll end up far away. If you play things right, you end up on and old railroad bed, which you then make a left on and walk about a mile back to Nile. Then it's just a matter of sneaking back onto the trail.

Ah yes, Good Times. If you've ever wanted to play secret agent, and ski at the same time try this trail. You get to hide from Rangers by diving down into the snow, and ski fun uncharted trails at the same time! Fun for everyone :D!

Ah yes, Good Times.  If you've ever wanted to play secret agent, and ski at the same time try this trail.  You get to hide from Rangers by diving down into the snow, and ski fun uncharted trails at the same time!  Fun for everyone :D!

Just remember if you go out of bounds and leave ski area boundaries you are back country skiing/boarding and on your own if you get lost or hurt. Just don't end up like those dudes at Killington last month that spent the night lost in the woods.

But I hear there is a trail from the top of CB that heads down to the Loft. You'll have to hitch a ride back or have someone pick you up.

The white areas moving from top to bottom are the trails. It's just a topo map not a trail map. Its kinda cool to see how the trails changed though. If you look birches used to be a top to bottom run that stayed to skiiers left of meadows. Lots of other real narrow twisting trails through the middle too.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah...the old buildings that are visible above the tubing area are from an old Jewish Camp.

All of the land that Camelback sits on is actually State land, they just lease it out. The state let them develop on the land. The surrounding area is a state park.

Here is link to Big Pocono State Park's map.

State Park Map

There is a north and south trail, but I don't think they were ever used as part of a ski resort. Like said before, they are pretty narrow. Backcountry style would be cool, but I think they were meant mostly for hiking, perhaps some cross-country skiing.