Medivac

skidude

I hadn't heard about a death, so let's hope that's not the case. I've been keeping track of the recent skier/boarder deaths this year through some articles I've kept up on snowboard.com. I am amazed at the the number of non-avalance related deaths there have been this year in the US. It's quite sad.

Scariest one was a kid up in Mass a few weeks ago who hit a kicker, caught and edge on his landing and died from a brain stem injury....and he WAS wearing a helmet. Gotsa be careful out there kiddies...

I hadn't heard about a death, so let's hope that's not the case.  I've been keeping track of the recent skier/boarder deaths this year through some articles I've kept up on snowboard.com.  I am amazed at the the number of non-avalance related deaths there have been this year in the US.  It's quite sad.

Scariest one was a kid up in Mass a few weeks ago who hit a kicker, caught and edge on his landing and died from a brain stem injury....and he WAS wearing a helmet.  Gotsa be careful out there kiddies...

holy crap, that really sucks......i myself, when i boarded took some nasty spills after landing a jump and catching an edge

Quite a few medivacs so far this season. At least 4 or 5 I can remember when I've been there. They've gotten it down to a science to sneak in and out pretty quickly. I haven't heard about any deaths. I think maybe they've lowered the criteria for calling for the chopper, that's why it's there so often. I think whenever there is a head or neck injury they now get the person out as fast as possible. Maybe to cover their liability butts, as usual.

The last few weekends at blue medivac was there. I think the one day when I was there the chopper showed up four times!

Does camelback have a landing pad like Blue does? Blue has that nice fenced off pad with the big H on it, pretty cool, yea, the MedEvac (the proper name) flys in there often

The last few weekends at blue medivac was there. I think the one day when I was there the chopper showed up four times!

Does camelback have a landing pad like Blue does? Blue has that nice fenced off pad with the big H on it, pretty cool, yea, the MedEvac (the proper name) flys in there often

I never saw one at camelback and I never saw one land there either but yeah I know that blue has one down by the valley lodge next to the one school hill. The one time I was in line for the quad and all the dirt from the driveway blew everywhere from the choppers blades and everyone was covered in dirt.

Hey guys, I'm a Paramedic (hence my name: emtp-short for EMT-Paramedic). The criteria for flying Medevac is simple. Pocono Medical Center is the closest hospital, but it is not a Regional Trauma Center. Any significant head injury (ie- with visual trauma suck as deformity, blood from ears, racoon eyes, confirmed loss of consciousness, etc) or any other major trauma (ie chest or abdominal trauma) needs to be taken to a Trauma Center. What basically sets a trauma center apart from a local hospital, such as Pocono, is that there are specialty trauma surgeons and nurses AT THE HOSPITAL 24/7 with an operating room set up and ready to go at all times. A local hospital has these people on-call from home. The are three levels of trauma center (Level I, II, and III), the highest being level 1. I don't want to get in to the details in what distinguishes a level I from a level III, but Pocono Hospital is one of THE WORST hospitals in the area. I wouldn't send my dog there.

There are three aeromedical helicoptors that operate in the area. Medevac II is based at the airport in Stroud Twp and is the primary helicoptor for Monroe County. Medevac is ran by Lehigh Valley Hospital Center in Salisbury Twp. (Allentown) and every patient flown by Medevac is taken there. If Medevac II is out on a flight, Medevac I is called in. Medevac I is based at Lehigh Valley Hospital Center.

If both Medevacs are on flights, the third helicoptor in is PennStar. PennStar is based in Nazareth and is the primary helicoptor for Northampton County. If Medevac is out, PennStar is dispatched to Camelback. PennStar is owned by St. Luke's Hospital. If you are flown by PennStar, yuou are taken to St. Luke's Hospital in Fountain Hill (Bethlehem).

Scan the archives for the Pocono Record online. There is no mention of any deaths at Camelback so far this year, or for 2003. Camelback keeps this information under wraps, obviously. Another reason to dislike Camelback ;-)

Hey guys, I'm a Paramedic (hence my name: emtp-short for EMT-Paramedic).  The criteria for flying Medevac is simple.  Pocono Medical Center is the closest hospital, but it is not a Regional Trauma Center.  Any significant head injury (ie- with visual trauma suck as deformity, blood from ears, racoon eyes, confirmed loss of consciousness, etc) or any other major trauma (ie chest or abdominal trauma) needs to be taken to a Trauma Center.  What basically sets a trauma center apart from a local hospital, such as Pocono, is that there are specialty trauma surgeons and nurses AT THE HOSPITAL 24/7 with an operating room set up and ready to go at all times.  A local hospital has these people on-call from home.  The are three levels of trauma center (Level I, II, and III), the highest being level 1.  I don't want to get in to the details in what distinguishes a level I from a level III, but Pocono Hospital is one of THE WORST hospitals in the area.  I wouldn't send my dog there.

There are three aeromedical helicoptors that operate in the area.  Medevac II is based at the airport in Stroud Twp and is the primary helicoptor for Monroe County.  Medevac is ran by Lehigh Valley Hospital Center in Salisbury Twp. (Allentown) and every patient flown by Medevac is taken there.  If Medevac II is out on a flight, Medevac I is called in.  Medevac I is based at Lehigh Valley Hospital Center.

If both Medevacs are on flights, the third helicoptor in is PennStar.  PennStar is based in Nazareth and is the primary helicoptor for Northampton County.  If Medevac is out, PennStar is dispatched to Camelback.  PennStar is owned by St. Luke's Hospital.  If you are flown by PennStar, yuou are taken to St. Luke's Hospital in Fountain Hill (Bethlehem).

Scan the archives for the Pocono Record online.  There is no mention of any deaths at Camelback so far this year, or for 2003.  Camelback keeps this information under wraps, obviously.  Another reason to dislike Camelback ;-)

You sure about PennStar being based in Nazerth? I thought it was in a hanger at ABE. What I do know is that they HAVE to be airborn within 5, or maybe 10 minutes of the call, as required by the hospital. PennStar can get to CB from Bethlehem in under 15 (maybe it was 9?) minutes i remember them telling us. I know a guy that is a paramedic on PennStar :P

PennStar used to be at ABE. Northampton County built them a landing pad AND a hangar at the Northampton County Gov't Center at the Greystone Complex in Nazareth. That is their new official home (as of last Spring). It is located next door to the new 911 Center and Gracedale. Who do you know on PennStar? I know all of the guys (and gals).

Edited by emtp563

PennStar used to be at ABE.  Northampton County built them a landing pad AND a hangar at the Northampton County Gov't Center at the Greystone Complex in Nazareth.  That is their new official home (as of last Spring).  It is located next door to the new 911 Center and Gracedale.  Who do you know on PennStar?  I know all of the guys (and gals).

ahh ok...gotcha! ;)