Planning a trip

Rowsdower

Over semester break I was thinking: what would be better than a trip to some awesome mountain with awesome conditions, where it would just be awesome, all the time, upside down, on fire.

Well I've been mulling this over for a while now. What I've figured is that I am definitely going by car, flying isn't gonna work. That basically means, no west coast, so I've got to stick to the right coast for this adventure. Now that I've narrowed down my options that far, I've gotta be economical about this. I was thinking New Hampshire, I heard Loon was going off last year so I wanted to check that out, and I hear New Hampshire gets more snow than Vermont, amounts that are comparable to some western resorts.

Well anyways, my questions are:

1. Are their any kick ass places in Vermont that are affordable?

2. Is New Hampshire worth the extra jog north?

3. Are you allowed to sleep in your car by the side of the road?

I shred too, but I'm really looking for a balance between a happening shred scene and some really nice snow and terrain to cruise about. Which is why I thought Loon might be ideal.

cabt speak for NH but i rode Stowe last year. Stayed with 2 other PASRs and the hotel wasnt that expensive for two nights although we did stay about 25 mins away. The lift tickets were a little pricey but u get a more of a discount the more days you ride.

The terrain is great. They have some awesome cruisers that are long, good bump runs if ur into it, lots of tree skiing, and a decent terrain park. Pretty much something for everyone.

im pretty sure sleeping in your car is "illegal" but its not something cops are going to search for. as long as you dont do it on the side of the highway and make sure you can dig yourself out if you need to haha i doubt you will unless you really get hit with snow. when will you be going?

wouldn't you freeze your ass off sleeping in your car in VT?

I'll bring a blanket? I only thought this would be necessary if I absolutely couldn't make the trip in one day and had to stop short. I guess that should be my next question then: how long does it usually take to get up to Vermont/New Hampshire? Has anyone driven it that can tell me?

Oh, and I'll be going in January during semester break. I thought about December but I thought it was best to avoid the holiday crowds.

it takes me 8 hours to get to plymouth nh, which is basically the hub for loon, waterville, and cannon.

stowe is about 7 hours, killington about 6, and mt snow around 4 and a half.

whiteface is really affordable and there are good deals on lodging in the town of lake placid with a free shuttle to the mountain. id reccomend. takes about 6 hours to get there. ive slept in my car at killington and had no problem, just dress appropriately.

Ok so I've narrowed it down to two destinations: Stowe/Smuggler's Notch, and Whiteface. Stowe has a reputation for being gnarly and it gets a ton of snow. Whiteface is a bit of a mystery, and I kinda feel like it'd be fun to see what its all about. It also gets a lot of snow, and it has 3,430 feet of vert... which is a hell of a lot of vert. Stowe would be about 30-40 dollars more expensive for two days. I haven't looked into lodging however.

Anyone got feedback on the two?

I'd be weary of Whiteface, unless your hitting it during a storm that place can be extremely icy, and windy. Although it can be really fun, just have to hit it right. If your staying around stowe, you can hit a few different resorts. Stowe, Sugarbush, Bolton, Smuggs, and Jay are all within an hour. Just something to consider.

I've never had stellar conditions at whiteface. Their parks are much worse than PA but they do have bigger features. The mountain is huge and even if you ride everyday in PA you will probably give up due to exhaustion by noon if you start at anywhere within the first hour. The steeps are steep, the grooming isn't great, and there are huge wind exposure issues. Still, it's a huge mountain, and the top is pretty steep stuff. If you can get comfortable going fast on this mountain, you can ride some pretty insane stuff. For cheap lodging you can check out http://www.adkbyowner.com/ I was talking with some people on the gondola this weekend and they found a place for $70 a night studio apt. with full kitchen and a hot tub. Most of the rentals will be in the middle of no where, so if you want the town scene you have to stay in Lake Placid. I hear there is a brewery in town with a big selection, but I have a hard time believing that it's a clubbers town. I haven't really sampled the night life there.

Whiteface is on the wrong side of the lake for the snow you want, but it is a gnarly mountain.

If you can find a cheap place to stay at Jay, by all means go for it. Jays lift tickets are half of what Stowe's cost. In my opinion i don't think the terrain is as good as stowe's, but Jay generally will get more snow, and be a bit less crowded.

Anything in Vermont with good snow and terrain that's comparatively cheap? Like Whiteface cheap?

If your flexible, Magic. Magic is in S. Vt and is a gnar gnar little mountain. Crowds are non-existent, lots of excellent trees and very cheap. Lots of additional terrain around back that used to be another mountain.

Wens is group night 80$ for as many as you can fit in your car, I think the limit is 7 so that's like 11 bucks a ticket. Regular ticket is 39-54, if you don't mind earning your turns Magic is free.

The issue with Magic is they don't make snow so you have to be vigilant in watching their base and when snow is going to fall. If you hit it right though it will be a day for the record books.

Burke is $57 and MRG is 39 -60....the burliest mt. in the N.E. Cochran is only $20 all day every day.

Some of the best deals are right at the resorts midweek. Stratton, Okemo, and Mt. Snow have $59.00 ski and stay specials. Why stay in the Fleabag Motel then pay $70-$80 for a lift ticket? Even for $99.00 each, it beats sleeping in the car. The deals might require double occupancy but they may allow just a single last minute, or find some one to go with you. People will often go if you do the planning. I'm planning a trip to CO between New Years and MLK. There is only one weekend between and the bookings midweek are slow so there should be deals in VT as well. If you are looking for cruisers, S. VT is the place for you. Shorter drive and Mt. Snow, Stratton, Okemo, Bromley, and Magic are all close by. Bromley and Magic have $39.00 midweek tickets. Only go to Magic if it snows. They're old school VT skiing, no high speed lifts and grooming is minimal. The bottom line is, just go! It's not expensive if you do your homework. Check out some ski and stay specials on line and some off site places have deals with more than one area, so you can stay at the same place and ski two areas.