TR: Blue 12/17/08

RootDKJ

Date(s) Skied: 12/17/2008

Resort or Ski Area: Blue Mountain Ski Area

Conditions: Groomed granular, but very soft under the top layer

Trip Report: I had a bit of a rough start this morning, first over slept and then as I was loading up the car, I saw the my wife left her interior light on all night. Fortunatly, I didn't need to jump it, but I had to run back inside to make sure here car would start as she was leaving for Dallas today.

I pulled in the lower parking lot around 8:40 and there were only 5 or 6 cars there. I was able to park right next to the fence post that has all the stickers on it. By time I got booted up on the 6 pack, there was a light mist falling. Lifts were coated with ice in parts. Some of it was over 1/2 inch thick.

First run was Tut's to Lazy Mile to Falls. Super fast and carvable today. Lazy was so sweet man. Best part was I could really lay the speed on because the place was deserted. I looked around for Toast, but since I was late, I couldn't find him.

Second run was Challenge. Eh...nothing special going on there today. Very crispy run of frozen corduroy, again carvable and very fast. I probabily skied Challenge 3 or 4 times to see if softened up at any point. It hadn't.

Twice I had to duck inside when the rain was really coming down, which was ok by me to dry off a little bit.

Rest of the day I was lapping Lazy Mile. Super sweet today. I never made it over to Main Street or Burma. For my last two runs, the clouds finally lifted and visability was much improved. On a side note, they were exercising the quad lift today. Getting ready to open Paradise maybe??? As I was leaving, the sun came out and there were maybe 25 cars in the lot.

Total for today was 15 runs for a total of 16,496 vertical feet. I had an awesome time. I'm glad I took a vacation day today. I didn't take many pictures because I wound up putting my camera in my pack as not to get it wet. Here's four though. Enjoy!

Ski-2008-12-17BlueMt001.jpg

Ski-2008-12-17BlueMt002.jpg

Challenge looking towards Falls

Ski-2008-12-17BlueMt003.jpg

Looking up Challenge (about midpoint)

Ski-2008-12-17BlueMt004.jpg

Visibility was pretty bad, but the good thing was there was nobody there so you didn't really need to worry about hitting anyone.

When I first pulled the pics off the camera I really had to think hard and try to remember where the hell I took them.

I went to AC. Screw skiing in the rain! You blew a vacation day for that?

Ok, well I'm not a fair weather skier. Fantastic skiing today. :downhill: Too bad you missed out on it.

who blew a vaca day?

I did. I still have 3 more to blow before the end of the year or else I loose them.

Lost about $300.

Oh yeah, loosing $300 is WAY better than skiing in the rain :banghead:screwy

Excellent report Root..I was at work earlier thinking,"Root must be getting wet out there"...then I thought,"Wait a minute..Root is skiing and you're here assisting customers and funeral directors".. :wacko::wacko: I had a nice session this evening skiing with Atomic Jeff and AngryHugo..I'll post a report in a little bit after I get my bearings. I stopped into Grumpys BBQ on the way back from Blue and the guy getting next to me was getting married and I bought him a shot and of course had to take a shot as well....Tullimore Dew..well anyway..I'm home safe and feeling the dew..I need to start saying I'm engaged for free shots..lol..

What a great start to the season at Blue and Root's BBQ and ski TRs are great.. :band:clap2

Time to update my vert..

Thanks. Yeah it was wet, but I was skiing so what does it matter?

I don't understand why everyone hates on skiing in the rain, if your gear is good it really isn't that big a deal. Whatever you do, do not take a break where you take your jacket and everything off. As soon as you take it off and your body isn't heating it anymore, the temperature of it all drops down to 75 or whatever the lodge is, and when you put it back on your body has to warm it back up to normal temperature and even if it is water proof, it is still coated with water.

But it is great, empty trails, decently fast snow if you have wax, grippy as all hell.