1/6 Stormtracker and updates

moe ghoul

Live from Wind Gap...

Been up since around 4:30 and have watched it sleet, freezing rain, and plain rain. There is at least a quarter inch of ice (looks like closer to half an inch) on the car and thick icicles that go from the headlights all the way to the ground and fuse onto the asphalt. It is now just raining, but it doesn't seem to be doing anything to the ice.

Earlier, I warmed up the car and tried to get to 33. Once I got the ice off, I slid down the driveway and turned onto the road. I was going at a crawl and no further than 100 feet down the road my car seemed to glide on a cushion of air right into the neighbors front yard. It was pretty much impossible to stay on the road. I wanted to get some speed up to see if I could do a 1080 in my car, but decided against it. It is a little better now, I just drove down the block to see if I could get out, but it is still extremely slippery.

I was trying to get down to Whitetail today but don't know if that is gonna happen. I-78 looks and sounds pretty sketchy in spots, and from what I hear it is pouring rain at Whitetail with more rain expected through the day.

No tailgating/drafting today...

Thanks for the real time report, I was checking out PENNDOT highway cams. Highways are prolly OK, but secondary roads are dicey. Gonna wait until after lunch to head out. So far, pre-season has been waaaaaay better than this BS. I really thought this winter would be different for a change.

Thanks for the real time report

My pleasure.

I forgot to mention driving last night. I tried to beat the storm yesterday as I had to go to Albany and back. I kind of did... I left Albany around 4pm and got back here close to 9pm. Normally its about a three hour hike. On the return it was snowing with just wet roads for a good portion of 87. Things were a little slick coming across 80, but PA is where it got real fun.

The roads were already covered in a real thin glaze, and as soon as I got on 611 south it started sleeting like I've never seen it sleet in my life. Pretty much a torrential downpour of sleet. I was chatting on the phone with someone right before it started, and I was almost yelling just to be heard. I got on 512 to go from the river over to Wind Gap, and what normally takes 15-20 minutes took closer to 45. It was uber slippery, definitely ball bearing road surface. I was trying to make it a bit closer to Harrisburg, but I was getting fatigued from the trip and it just wasn't worth it.

... WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM SATURDAY MORNING THROUGH SUNDAY MORNING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MOUNT HOLLY HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WATCH... WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM SATURDAY MORNING THROUGH SUNDAY MORNING. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS IN EFFECT FOR THE PENNSYLVANIA COUNTIES OF CARBON... MONROE... BERKS... LEHIGH... NORTHAMPTON... CHESTER... MONTGOMERY AND BUCKS. THE WATCH ALSO INCLUDES THE NEW JERSEY COUNTIES OF SUSSEX ... WARREN... MORRIS... HUNTERDON... SOMERSET... MERCER AND MIDDLESEX.

THE SNOW IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN EARLY SATURDAY MORNING THEN SPREAD EAST WHILE BEGINNING TO ACCUMULATE IN THE AFTERNOON HOURS. BY THE END OF THE STORM ON SUNDAY MORNING, THERE WILL BE SOME MIXED SLEET FALLING IN THE WATCH AREA WHILE MAINLY RAIN AND SOME WET SNOW WILL FALL OVER THE SOUTHERN AREAS.

SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS COULD RANGE BETWEEN FOUR AND SEVEN INCHES ACROSS THE WATCH AREA WITH THE HIGHER AMOUNTS FROM THE LEHIGH VALLEY TO THE POCONOS AND NORTHWEST NEW JERSEY.

THESE AMOUNTS COULD BE LESS DEPENDING UPON WHEN THE MIX WITH SLEET OCCURS. IN ANY EVENT CONDITIONS ARE GOING TO TURN HAZARDOUS LATE SATURDAY INTO SUNDAY MORNING.

A WINTER STORM WATCH MEANS THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT SNOW... SLEET... OR ICE ACCUMULATIONS THAT MAY IMPACT TRAVEL. CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS.