1/10 TR

Santa Clauss

Ok where do I start, Got to the mountain at about 10:30 wanted to try the ski's in the fresh stuff but quickly realized that they aren't really meant for the loose stuff, so I strapped on the banana and started lapping the park, I met up with a friend, we lapped the park for about 4 hours, New features on spike, i'll post a list at the end. So the conditions were decent, steady snow mixed with guns blazing, northface has a ton of heavy loose stuff making it a workout to get through.

Park was nice except for this, the park crew today, closing off a feature, taking there sweet ass time, to groom it. then stopping to talk to people while feature is closed while they knew me and 4 other people were waiting to hit it, (He was standing there, just standing, talking, not doing anything. after a about 3 min of idleness we were screaming YO! AE! he even saw us sitting there waiting, just ignored us) come on guys, have some respect and decency. I wouldn't rip on the park crew unless I was really pissed, and we were quite pissed.

Lift attendant's checking passes like crazy, I guess some people are making fake passes and they are finding them, so they are now getting close up and some even pull the pass out to make sure its real. even the lifty's who know me and see me every day checked my pass! So good job guy's. FYI this isn't just a weekend thing, they have all been requested to check passes like crazy from now on.

Quad lift broke down when I was getting off the chair, it literally broke as I was getting off, I heard a loud crash up there, but thats usually the emergency stop, so I proceeded to go up top and do a full mountain run, figured it would be fine by the time I got back down, when I was about to head down the second half of the mt. to go to the bottom, sno's safety patrol stopped me before I went too far, thank god, it was down for quite some time, my brother called me when I was driving home said he heard it on the news! apparently someone got hypo and had to go to the hospital. Shit happens, lifts break down, but come on, it was really cold out and snowing all day, so you should dress really REALLY warm, duh, there were ton's of people who were wearing jeans and hoody's today! so good job to sno's safety patrol for saving me from getting stuck down there. and they had a huge crew of ski Patrol waiting to help the people getting off.

spike features

A-frame

flat long or urban down box

two wide flat boxes in an A-frame configuration

20-25ft jump (Could be wrong on the size don't quote me!)

Mainline features same and fun, defiantly worth lapping for a while.

I'm calling it an early night so I can get up there early in the morning...

I'm not sure, could have used back up motor to get the folks off, regardless, they'll probably open long haul, but I guess that would close off smoke boomer and lightning. i'll call tomorrow before i leave, conditions should be epic...

anyone else hear anything about the lift? anyone see it on the news?

i'll bet all the top to bottom trails will be opened tomorrow, they even had rattler open today (the one going to cannonball I think thats rattler)

Edited by davieclauss

The quad has already opened back up. I think it was down for about an hour before they got everyone off. They didn't evac people but the lift was restarted and everyone was off loaded normally. I heard there were some cold people but I don't think anyone needed first aid let alone to go to hospital. When I left everyone was skiing the northface so I don't think there is any more issues going forward.

As for the trails everything was open except for lower fast track. Upper runway needed to be regroomed as it was a little chunky underneath. Everything was awsome it was very powdery and very very nice.

White - bumped in the middle very powdery on the sides. I am eyeing the woods to the L and R... I'm very tempted if there is enough snow.

Boomer - bumps on skiers right - nice carving powder / little bumps (i'm sure it will be groomed tom on skiers left - it always is...)

Smoke - cut up powder little bumps at the bottom was like skiing crud at times.

C-Ball - carveable powder

Rattler - very icy and got skied off fast.

U-Runway - very chunky underneath 2-4 new snow but when you carve you hit the chunks underneath.

L - Runway - very nice - Whistler to LRunway was my favorite run all day. -Did it about four and there was snow everywhere my legs were burning by the time i got to the bottom.

U-Fasttrack - another great trail today - blowing a ton of snow + no one skis it.

I don't do park stuff but looks like some jumps on spike

They didn't as much snow as I expected . It was only a couple inches maybe three... I can't imagine they will pick up more than a couple more by the a.m. But they had the guns blowing all day and they were blowing when I left. Tomorrow will be an epic NEPA day.

snoskier

I doubt the cable ran off but it could have tripped or broken a sensor which would cause it to stop. as for the guy getting hypo, thats what my brother told me after hearing it on the news...

I checked there website and I couldn't find anything, it was WNEP right?

When I worked at the hideout something like this happened, if you look up at the wheels for the cable you'll see these things that look like a long u, those are the sensors, if a chair is tilted too much or bounces it can actually break the sensor off (In extreme conditions) and that stops the drive system until the sensor was ither repaired, or lol hot wired (Thats what my boss did) I'm not sure this is exactly how it works and i'm not an expert on the subject. if someone knows more and if i'm wrong, I would welcome a correction.

Usually when i see kids rocking on the chairs I scream at them to stop, i don't care if i appear to be an ass, getting stuck on a lift for an hour would not be a good time and i'll ask that if any of you ever encounter this situation to scream at them, and report them to the lift attendant at the top.

Edited by davieclauss

I heard that it was caused by a few people bouncing the chair really hard, to the point that it tripped one of the sensors that detects if the cable is still on it's sheave. It's my understanding that once a sensor trips, all of the towers need to be inspected before it can safely be started again, which is what took so long. I don't think the haul rope actually came off any of the sheaves, but I could be wrong.

Yeah, After thinking it over, there is no way the cable fell off the wheels, thats what the sensors are for, to stop the lift before it happens, if you are going up the lift, just look at how the chairs are suspended and think if the cable was removed from one tower, the chairs would quite possibly hit the ground (Depending on the load) and injure many people, if the cable came off it would could likely cause considerable damage to a ton of components, the fact that they had the lift running immediately after the ordeal to me says that it was NOTHING serious.

If you look closely there are at least two sets of wheels on both sides of the tower that rock back and forth to allow for the arm of the chair to go over, there is a bar sticking out from the side of the wheels, under this bar is a sensor, if the wheels rock too far they'll hit the sensor causing the lift to stop.

END OF STORY (unless someone on there staff really knows what happened and i'm wrong)

If you look along the sides of the "wheels" you will see brackets: |__| -Cable catchers, which will hopefully catch the cable in the event that it actually does come off the "wheels"..thus preventing the lift from dropping towards the ground. The bar you are talking about (i think) is the actual "sensor" itself. If anything is out of the ordinary it will break, stopping the lift.