SNO MOUNTAIN PARK

sjb269

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup...

I'll try to remember correctly don't hate if its wrong.

Spike:

A-frame now flat down or podiem

Step up jump don't know size

down flat down, urban down box or flat to headwall in order from right to left

two long flat set up a frame style (I think thats what you'de call it)

bigger jump

they pulled out the large rainbow and two 25ft single rails maybe they'll be in tonight

Mainline

small up rail or small rainbow

Flat box up to barrel bonk

picnic table sideways in the snow

two kickers staggered next to eachother

barrel bonk

Left is a (Cant remember what its called, shit i should know cant come to me) jump and right is the flat down, flat, or double urban rail

spine at the end

I'f Im wrong please someone correct me!

Yup...

I'll try to remember correctly don't hate if its wrong.

Spike:

A-frame now flat down or podiem

Step up jump don't know size

down flat down, urban down box or flat to headwall in order from right to left

two long flat set up a frame style (I think thats what you'de call it)

bigger jump

they pulled out the large rainbow and two 25ft single rails maybe they'll be in tonight

I'f Im wrong please someone correct me!

i think there is a battle ship single barrel rail up now too?

Also there are now 2 wedge jumps (biggest that's ever been at Sno) after the step down boxes. The first wedge was widened it seems and the second was added today.

*Left is a (Cant remember what its called, shit i should know cant come to me) jump and right is the flat down, flat, or double urban rail

spine at the end*

Tabletop..? Also the bottom section next to the magic carpet where the rail jam was is now gone and closed off in preparation for some piles of snow being blown.

Thanks man, Yeah I forgot about the battleship rail and yes your right its a tabletop, I just couldn't come up with the name!

Maybe they'll start to work on the pipe

It would be really nice if they could put a really simple beginer somethin in, i'm tryin to learn jibbin on ski's but I'm having a hard time with what they got...

Well I'm goin up soon, I'll be wearing green pants and a brown coat with fur hood, maybe a black helmet, maybe not. Idk if i'll be skiing or riding, I'll probably hit the park on the board first.

Thanks man, Yeah I forgot about the battleship rail and yes your right its a tabletop, I just couldn't come up with the name!

Maybe they'll start to work on the pipe

It would be really nice if they could put a really simple beginer somethin in, i'm tryin to learn jibbin on ski's but I'm having a hard time with what they got...

Well I'm goin up soon, I'll be wearing green pants and a brown coat with fur hood, maybe a black helmet, maybe not. Idk if i'll be skiing or riding, I'll probably hit the park on the board first.

Has Sno done a beginner park in the past? The one thing I (and my son) was disappointed with in my first visit to Sno was the lack of beginner features. My 7 year old is trying to learn to ride boxes, etc. but it's hard unless their are beginner features. Boulder has nice progression parks where the features get a little harder down the run and Bear Creek sets up a few beginner features on some beginner trails. Might be something for Sno to consider.

Yeah i think it'd be nice to see some of those easier features also. Most of the things on Mainline are easier but...you aren't going to get many new riders learning how to hit boxes with a bonk at the end... as of right now the only thing to really learn on is the small rainbow. They definitely need some flat boxes in that park..and not 3 boxes sitting upside down, stacked in steps, with a gap onto them. Nice forgiving long flat boxes and some low rails. Having some fun things to mess around on is fine, but there has to be those easier features.

Yea so... those jumps are RETARTED lol so like... there... REALLY NASTY, you know what, there basically the biggest jumps i've ever seen, and completely unnecessary, I was there for maybe 2 hours lapping the parks and I only saw one skier hit it, yeah nice dude you made an enormous fucking jump that 3 people can hit? thanks... I have a job, a brand new car (with a standard tranny so I cant break any limbs) and responsibilities, I don't hit jumps too often, too much risk, especially at night, but when you have to bomb 2 headwalls straight with no speed check in order to clear the fucking jump, its too big... I'm sorry i'm not a park rat and I don't travel around, I don't go to boulder, or anywhere else because I don't have the time, I'm not a freeken expert but I have fun riding in the park. i'm not that good but i'm trying, plus I'm an absolute beginner in the park on my ski's and I wish I can find something to learn on, its almost the end of january and the park's still sketchy, with a lack of flow there are a ton of kids that are looking for something to start on and if they try on some of the shit they have they'll get hurt, Its all about having fun, not saying look at this crazy feature, yeah its sketchy but it looks cool.

If your experienced and you see the stuff up there you wouldn't think of it being sketchy, but if you've been skiing for only 3 weeks and and your looking for something to do, believe me, it is.

The up box to bonk is cool but you land flat and it crushes the landing, but its still cool.

Look lets face it, sno mountain is NOT loaded with highly skilled and sponsored riders and skiers, there are a couple good kids, but a lot of kids in the park are just starting and need features that, are more versatile? I can see how he wants shit to be different, the bonk is still awesome but the table sideways is kinda getting old, you can get messed up pretty bad if you screw up sliding the top (I know)

What happened to like flat box and picnic table? classics!

I said all this basically because I didn't have a very good night up there, screwed up things I shouldn't have fell doing stupid shit, my fault though, i'm just in a shitty mood now and i'm taking it out on my keyboard.

Yeah i think it'd be nice to see some of those easier features also. Most of the things on Mainline are easier but...you aren't going to get many new riders learning how to hit boxes with a bonk at the end... as of right now the only thing to really learn on is the small rainbow. They definitely need some flat boxes in that park..and not 3 boxes sitting upside down, stacked in steps, with a gap onto them. Nice forgiving long flat boxes and some low rails. Having some fun things to mess around on is fine, but there has to be those easier features.

Plus, my kid's old man doesn't want to look like a fool when he goes into the park with him (like the first time I tried to ride a box sideways and almost separated my shoulder). The rainbow isn't too bad (I actually hit that succesfully 50/50) but just as an example, that is the fourth feature in Boulder's beginner park (first they have a super low wide flat box, then a higher wide flat box, then a skinier box, then a rainbow). Sorry if my terminology is way off, I'm no park rat.

The jumps looked to be a pretty decent size on Spike. There may not be a whole lot of people that regularly ride Sno that will be hitting those jumps, but the idea is to cater to those that do have the skill. As long as there are smaller jumps for those not willing to hit the bigger ones (which there are, although a smaller table top to learn on would be a nice addition) then i don't see a problem with having large jumps. Sure it might be a "waste" if you judge by usage within the first week...hell even the first year. But with a consistent solid park, with progressive and large features, more and more people will be drawn in. It might take a while as i said, but i'm sure the idea is to try to start winning over some of those that drive right past Sno and the extra half hour (or more) to go to Boulder or other places for a good park. Give it some time and with some constructive criticism things are only getting better up at Sno. Management obviously listens, and this is a good outlet for customer opinions, good or bad. Keep them flowing and they are bound to listen.

That said...progress seems painfully slow this year. I know it takes a lot of snow to get a jump line on Spike up and running, but i'm not really concerned about that. It's already the end of January and there has yet to be a full park run...even a maze of rails. It would have been nice to throw some new things in on Mainline before putting the attention towards Spike. Now that the bottom section of Mainline is closed off, if nothing gets added over the night (which is my guess, but hopefully i'm wrong), that leaves 4 features and two jumps for a run. A total of 3 jumps and 5 rails/boxes, but all can't be hit in the same run. That's pretty weak for the end of January on a trail that's been open for good amount of time. As already stated, the picnic table was alright when it was first put in but now, 3 weeks later(..just a guess)..it's pretty beat. Especially with how low it is in the snow. Some low flat boxes, the wide flat box, picnic tables, another small wedge at the top of the first headwall.. something. A smaller table top would probably be nice also, like the one that was at the bottom of the first headwall last year towards the end of the year.

WOOOO. Big jumps, cant wait. Im gonna be up there for the first time tommorow 11-3. Ill be wearing a green suit from 3 yearsago, orange beanie, skullcandy headphones. I will be lapping the park the whole day and nothing else.

You may want to call first before you head up just to make sure they aren't working on the park during the day...they were yesterday but i think you'll be good today.

Just so you guys know... The jumps on spike are there and pretty big, but they arent groomed out with lips yet! They are just flat ramps, so hopefully they are working on shaping the jump properly. There are a few good rails set up around spike and mainline....

What do you know, they are grooming the park all day. It shoudlnt be open till 3. I asked why they didnt do it at night, and the lady said they cant do the whole mtn at night. I then said well what about weekends when its all groomed by 800. She was stunned.

Also it makes no sense not to have your parked groomed early. Theres roughly 18 long trails for people to ski. Theres 2 parks, if takes a little longer to open 1/18 then who gives a fuck. I would have went to boulder today, but since they have crazy hours I cant go there.

Clauss your baby and you should go ride elk where they dont care about park..Im trying to bring progressive riding and skiing back to sno mountain. 2 years ago when planet snow tools first came to sno there were so many people constantly riding in the park because our mountain had never seen an actual park before. Bad news is Planet never kept the park progressing and people got sick of hitting lame ass true table tops and the typical set ups for rails. Well that time is over and I'm trying to bring that progressive edge back to sno mountain! Those jumps are not really that big. Have you ever been to any real resorts like bear mountain or mammoth lakes? Their jumps tower these at sno. See the thing is not everyone is a pussy like you and alot of kids want big jumps so they can have the time in the air to throw bigger and cleaner tricks rather than a hucked out 720 over a 20 foot table. Alot of good riders and skiers have left sno mountain because of these reasons and hopefully we'll start getting a good park scene going here where kids can progress off of each other because i know now there is none of that. As for beginner features...Im trying to get some flat boxes back out that were just recently fixed. See 97% off skiers and snowboarders do not realize the abuse rails take esp after being beaten on for 3 years. Top sheets are constantly breaking and its very expensive to fix them. The rail jam set up next to tubing has been removed for the 13 foot pipe. Ill get those rails set back in the ground hopefully next week. Also there will be another jump after the 2 that are on spike Im not too sure which way im going to go with it. Id really like to put a nice hip to quarter set up at the end, we'll see what happens tho. The flat after the jumps will be filled with rails soon it just takes a little time. We don't have a 20 man crew at sno so things may take a tad longer.

sincerely,

- Sno Mtn Park Mgmt

oh and btw those 2 new jumps are awesome! Just come into that roller before them with some decent speed, pump it, take a setup check and your golden for the first one then after you land take another speed check or 2 and your fine for the second. Also I see alot of people just going for jumps with out checking how big they are, this is a big reason why alot of people get hurt in parks. If your not familiar with the features or when something new is built roll up to it and check it out before you hit it. Know how the snow is too...some days its quick some days its fast. You have to put all those perspectives in before you go for a big jump...it could determine making it or not.

Tonight there should be some small boxes and a small rail being put out on mainlines park.

Enjoy.

Hey carl, its cool man, sorry I'm a pussy but I have a REAL job, car payment, insurance, credit card bills, student loans, saving up to move out and cant afford to risk getting hurt, I really don't care, build big jumps, I honestly love the progressive features your making and I really hope it brings business to Sno, I really do...

Look, the people I ride with are not able to fucking progress in the park because of the features you had, there practically afraid to go down it. They're your current customers, i'm your current customer. In my opinion, you should cadre to us before you go all out and risk trying to build a big name for the mountain on YOUR FIRST YEAR, when management fucked you on snowmaking, and its a little late. Yea, it would be really awesome if you could get some really good riders to sno, but first, maybe you should focus on building a reputation of being dependable, ya know, a GOOD reputation?

People got sick of sno for a lot of reasons, the park not progressing is probably on the bottom of there list. and people are getting hurt in the parks because there was nothing small and safe for them to learn on.

I wish I could say shit like that when I was working park...

Hey, I don't say much on here but I think clauss is right, the park this year has been pretty crappy, Im not a real park rat but I like to learn and it makes no sense your trying to create a big name for your self the first chance you get, my friend stopped going to Sno because the shitty lights and slow lifts, I know I'm not a cool park kid but I wish I was and I saved up all summer so I could buy a season pass and I'm really dissipointed

Hey, I didn't say the park was crappy, I honestly don't think its there fault, its upper management, but I'm sure they have there reasons too, I haven't been up this weekend because were shooting my friends music video but the park manager said they were going to put small features for you to learn on so maybe you should give the park another chance.

Wait a min,Sean, dude your a fucking manager, i'm a customer who paid $550 for a pass and your telling me i'm a baby and a pussy and I should go ride at elk? well fuck you! and if you thought I was ripping on the mountain before? I was being fair dude, if something was fucked up I posted it to let management know because I know they read it, If things were going well I bragged about it and tried to get people pumped up because I wanted the mountain to do well because I cared, what i post is my opinion and people can take it or leave it, after reading what you said again, it really pissed me off dude, and It was really unnecessary, if you want to tell me i'm a pussy fine I know you hate me, but you shouldn't have done it representing your self as a manager of the park.

SO I WAS UP AT SNO TODAY AND SKIIED THE PARK FOR AWHILE. I WAS LOOKING FORWARD TO FINALLY HITTING SOME NICE JUMPS... (OR SO I THOUGHT). I HAVE BEEN SKIING THE PARK FOR YEARS, SO I KNOW HOW JUMPS ARE SUPPOSED TO BE CONSTRUCTED. I AM GOING TO LIST THE ISSUES WITH THE PARK AS IT WAS ON SUNDAY. THEY ALL HAVE TO DO WITH THE JUMP SETUP. THE FIRST JUMP IS SUPPOSED TO BE SOME KIND OF STEP UP. THAT IS JUST SIMPLY A WASTE OF SNOW. IN ORDER TO CLEAR THE KNUCKLE, YOU HAVE TO OVERSHOOT THE LANDING. THIS IS NOT SAFE AT ALL. YOU CAN ONLY GET ABOUT A FOOT OR TWO OVER THE KNUCKLE WITHOUT SEVERLY OVERSHOOTING THE LANDING AND LANDING FLAT. THE NEXT ISSUE IS THE GIGANTIC MOUND OF SNOW INFRONT OF THE NEXT JUMP. WHAT IS THE DEAL WITH THAT? YOU CANT TAKE OFF FROM THE TOP OF THAT AND EXPECT TO MAKE IT TO THE LANDING. I SAW ABOUT 1O KIDS TRY TO DO THAT AND JUST DROPPED OFF THE END OF THE JUMP. I FELT KINDA BAD FOR THEM TOO! THE NEXT ISSUE IS THE ACTUAL SETUP OF THE LAST TWO JUMPS. THERE IS NOT ANY LIP ON THE JUMPS AND THEY SHOULD BE MOVED BACK 10-20 FT. FROM THE LANDING AND HAVE A PROPER LIP ON THEM FOR POP. FINALLY THE LAST TWO JUMPS ARE WAY TOO CLOSE TOGETHER TO RECOVER FROM THE 1ST AND SETUP FOR THE SECOND. WHOEVER IS IN CHARGE OF THE PARK SHOULD FOLLOW THE FORMULAS FOR JUMP BUILDING AND JUST NOT BUILD RANDOM SHIT. I AM A SEASON PASS HOLDER, AND IF THIS PLACE DOESNT STEP UP, I AM GETTING A PASS TO BOULDER NEXT YEAR FO SHO! I MEAN ITS ALMOST FEBRUARY AND I HAVENT EVEN HIT A GOOD JUMP YET, THAT MEANS NO PROGRESSION AT ALL THIS YEAR, AND ITS HALF WAY OVER. ANYONE ELSE THAT ACTUALLY KNOWS HOW TO SKI / RIDE PARK AGREE WITH ME ON THIS?

SO I WAS UP AT SNO TODAY AND SKIIED THE PARK FOR AWHILE. I WAS LOOKING FORWARD TO FINALLY HITTING SOME NICE JUMPS... (OR SO I THOUGHT). I HAVE BEEN SKIING THE PARK FOR YEARS, SO I KNOW HOW JUMPS ARE SUPPOSED TO BE CONSTRUCTED. I AM GOING TO LIST THE ISSUES WITH THE PARK AS IT WAS ON SUNDAY. THEY ALL HAVE TO DO WITH THE JUMP SETUP. THE FIRST JUMP IS SUPPOSED TO BE SOME KIND OF STEP UP. THAT IS JUST SIMPLY A WASTE OF SNOW. IN ORDER TO CLEAR THE KNUCKLE, YOU HAVE TO OVERSHOOT THE LANDING. THIS IS NOT SAFE AT ALL. YOU CAN ONLY GET ABOUT A FOOT OR TWO OVER THE KNUCKLE WITHOUT SEVERLY OVERSHOOTING THE LANDING AND LANDING FLAT. THE NEXT ISSUE IS THE GIGANTIC MOUND OF SNOW INFRONT OF THE NEXT JUMP. WHAT IS THE DEAL WITH THAT? YOU CANT TAKE OFF FROM THE TOP OF THAT AND EXPECT TO MAKE IT TO THE LANDING. I SAW ABOUT 1O KIDS TRY TO DO THAT AND JUST DROPPED OFF THE END OF THE JUMP. I FELT KINDA BAD FOR THEM TOO! THE NEXT ISSUE IS THE ACTUAL SETUP OF THE LAST TWO JUMPS. THERE IS NOT ANY LIP ON THE JUMPS AND THEY SHOULD BE MOVED BACK 10-20 FT. FROM THE LANDING AND HAVE A PROPER LIP ON THEM FOR POP. FINALLY THE LAST TWO JUMPS ARE WAY TOO CLOSE TOGETHER TO RECOVER FROM THE 1ST AND SETUP FOR THE SECOND. WHOEVER IS IN CHARGE OF THE PARK SHOULD FOLLOW THE FORMULAS FOR JUMP BUILDING AND JUST NOT BUILD RANDOM SHIT. I AM A SEASON PASS HOLDER, AND IF THIS PLACE DOESNT STEP UP, I AM GETTING A PASS TO BOULDER NEXT YEAR FO SHO! I MEAN ITS ALMOST FEBRUARY AND I HAVENT EVEN HIT A GOOD JUMP YET, THAT MEANS NO PROGRESSION AT ALL THIS YEAR, AND ITS HALF WAY OVER. ANYONE ELSE THAT ACTUALLY KNOWS HOW TO SKI / RIDE PARK AGREE WITH ME ON THIS?

Everything you said I agree with. The only good from this park is they are trying to build different jumps. They have never had a wedge type jump. I mean it really isnt a wedge, but thats what they were going for.

I know when I rode up the lift the first time looking at the jumps, I said What the fuck. And then a couple hours later rode up the lift with a couple kids seeing the park for the first time,and they said the same thing.

In response to Holdenstepchilds post, I agree with Clauss that it is completely unprofessional of you to come on here representing yourself as a sno employee and call people pussies and babies. In regards to the jump stuff, and making sno's park "progressive", thats cool, but you have to start somewhere, and it seems to me that building huge jumps is not progressing many people, and most people are just unhappy. Sure other mountains have much bigger jumps, but they are usually on much bigger mountains, with bigger park crews, and with a larger constant customer base who can utilize such features to their fullest instead of getting hurt on them. I understand that having a progressive park will attract more customers, but rome wasn't built in a day. It seems to me that having a consistently good park with moderate features that change somewhat often would be a better place to start. I have been trying to progress my park skills this season, but I find many of the features to be too difficult for someone who doesn't ride park much. I guess maybe I am a pussy too who should go ride at Elk.

Edit: I would also like to add that you mentioned planet bringing alot of people in because they had never seen a real park....well im pretty sure that those lame ass features are what got people up there to ride. Maybe adding to such features would be better than trying to cater to riders and skiers who supposedly have already "left sno" because they could no longer progress. Maybe the focus should be on what people like myself, Clauss, and sjb, who paid $550 for a pass.

Edited by rastasquid

Im The park manager at sno and I do agree with your thoughts on the first step up jump. Its a trial and error thing and It is a little sketchy so it will be fixed..as for the other 2 jumps the Mound of snow in front of the jumps is used as a speed holder not a start ramp. That being there lets you hit the rails before the jump and still make it instead of bypassing the rails to make the jump. Anyone with any sense would know that you cannot make that jump from the top of that roller. As for the lips they could be a little more poppier but not really that much. They are built pretty high so in all reality it evens itself out being semi mellow. The jumps are kind of close but there is not much room on that head wall to spread them out...Ive been freestyle riding for a decently long time and those jumps are pretty fun and I know alot of ppl who have been hitting them who think the same. They're quick and a little more challenging to setup but just feel them out a bit. Things are slow on the park building but we only have ONE cat driver in the park and he does a pretty good job! There is no more planet snow tools where there was 2 or 3 guys in cats pushing snow around all night. I appologize for not meeting your needs but it is very hard to please everyone. I also appreciate your criticism and hopefully improve the park some more.