Conditions?

GolfingOwl

Any one been to Elk in the past couple days? Heading up Tuesday and wondering how the conditions are. I know most PA mountains are icy due to last weeks weather.

Should be decent by Tuesday. Get there first thing. I plan on heading somewhere else, on Tuesday. Elk was one of my options. I'm debating Windham, or a day trip to Killington.

I couldn't even get motivated for a day trip to the Pocs this weekend.

i feel for you guys far away. i don't know what i would do if i didnt live 10 minutes from Blue. I can handle a 30 minute drive like i did when i was in school, but more than that i would die. i wouldn't be able to have those hour sessions when the crowds suck and conditions suck.

i feel for you guys far away. i don't know what i would do if i didnt live 10 minutes from Blue. I can handle a 30 minute drive like i did when i was in school, but more than that i would die. i wouldn't be able to have those hour sessions when the crowds suck and conditions suck.

It's not bad during the week, but driving up for the day on a holiday weekend is brutal. Eagle Rock probably had great conditions today but it's 3 hours away. Once my 1 year old is 3 I'll rent the place up there till March 1st and have a longer winter.

Any one been to Elk in the past couple days? Heading up Tuesday and wondering how the conditions are. I know most PA mountains are icy due to last weeks weather.

I would expect conditions to be pretty good on Tuesday. I was at Greek Peak on Sat. and conditions were excellent! :D

Elk had a little bit of snow last week and their grooming is much better than GP. There is still some natural snow cover above the Pokes. They likely blew some snow for Pres. Day weekend.

Give us a report when you get back.

Conditions were pretty good at Elk on Tuesday, much better than aniticipated. More crowded than exppected but never waited more than a couple minutes at any lift. Conditions were firm, but not icy and well groomed. Only a little ice late afternoon on some of the busier trails. Bumps were very firm with lots of ice in the troughs. Overall, though, great day at Elk. There is really no question that it is best mountain in PA.

Just back from Elk.

Packed powder, groomed corduroy, had to look hard to find ice. Fresh blown snow on Tunks' bumps, but only the true experts were playing around in them due to ice in the valleys. It started snowing at 11:15AM, with a few white-out squalls coming through. It was still snowing heavily when we left around 6:30PM. Probably 3"--4" of slow new snow.

Lots of NY school kids and their families skiing, as well as the annual trip of NY firefighters. Lift lines weren't bad, if only the goofs wouldn't congregate at the entrances to the corrals. Needed a parking pass to get up to the top parking lot today, first time I saw that this season during the week.

Should be good the rest of the week and weekend.

Bluebird day at Elk Sat. 2/21. Packed powder all over the mountain. Only ice was in the valleys on Tunkannock. Nice soft bumps on Chippewa. Longest liftline was 5 minutes. Trails were uncrowded. Susquehanna was high speed packed powder all day. Best terrain in PA. Terrain parks aren't what Elk's about. They had two nice jumps and a few rails. If that's what you're into, go to BC. If you like bumps, steeps and long cruisers, get up there.

I went to Elk today and conditions were pretty good. It looked like they blew more snow on various trails.

Conditions were amazing that day! I was up for shop Demo Days and got to try about 10 pairs of skis. Packed powder everywhere (except the mogul trails). Cold though (12 degrees or so).

Surprise winner in skis? K2 Obsethed, 105 mm underfoot. I am buying that ski next year as my East Coast ski (no, I'm not joking. Give it a try and read the reviews as well).

Justin