stupid binding question

krs1pitt

so after years of boarding i'm back to skiing and just picked up some 08 ar6's from a member on these boards, i'm looking at bindings online (found a great deal on some marker 11 twin cam free's), and was wondering what size brake i should get. The spec's i've seen online say that this ski has a waste of 84. would i be covered with a brake with of 90 or should i bump it to 100? is there a big difference? thanks in advance for the help.

if the ski has a waist of 84, then obviously a brake for up to a 90 would fit.

wider brakes make no difference, its just a piece of metal/rubber that flops down when you release so your skis don't go flying down the hill.

really? people online are bitching about a pre-release problem with them. but honestly as someone who already has one blown out knee pre-release may not be a bad thing.

Trees are hard, so are rocks. Think about the "Marker Philosophy" next time your perched on a real sketchy line.

Jester/Duke's are ok.

Turntables are the real deal.

Trees are hard, so are rocks. Think about the "Marker Philosophy" next time your perched on a real sketchy line.

Jester/Duke's are ok.

Turntables are the real deal.

what's the marker philosophy? i'm making a move on some rossi axial 120ti's so i'm steering clear of the twin cams.

what's the marker philosophy? i'm making a move on some rossi axial 120ti's so i'm steering clear of the twin cams.

Markers are built to favor release over retention, which is fine for rental fleets and noobs but horrible for anyone that rides with speed. What ends up happening is people max out the DIN to compensate for their poor retention, thus adding unnecessary risk to your knees and leg bones.

Marker for a while sold a 30 din racing binding, for anyone other than WC racers you might as well have bolted your boots to the ski but they needed the insanely high DIN to compensate for the fact that their bindings sucked.

With a rossi/look, 4frnt or tyrolia you can run a safer DIN while still maintaining excellent retention.

Yea the rossi turntables where the shit, we stock piled them at our shop when they switched the heel piece, but finally ran out. The number of people hurt by setting their DIN too high is a lot greater than by pre-release - especially on the east coast, but for those truly concerned about pre-release it is a life or death thing. I can't think of too many lines on the east coast that if you pop out you will DIE, but they are out there. But I've had more than one person who we tried to get them to put a sane DIN setting on, come back on crutches.

Yea the rossi turntables where the shit, we stock piled them at our shop when they switched the heel piece, but finally ran out. The number of people hurt by setting their DIN too high is a lot greater than by pre-release - especially on the east coast, but for those truly concerned about pre-release it is a life or death thing. I can't think of too many lines on the east coast that if you pop out you will DIE, but they are out there. But I've had more than one person who we tried to get them to put a sane DIN setting on, come back on crutches.

at first i thought the p/axial heel was much better than the new px/axial2 heel when the new ones first came out. i was completely sold on the fact that since the new ones didn't 'pivot' they were not as good. having skied the new version on my disorderlys this season, i was wrong. the only way the old binding was better was that it sits lower to the ski and has a slightly shorter mounting pattern. retention is better on the new ones, release is better, and they ski much much better.