Is Atomic playing games?

Papasteeze

Here is what I got.

2 Brand new sets marked 140cm R14m 94-63-83 Both Graphics are the same with one exception. One says GS:II on the tail, the other says GS:II.21 One was priced at $99 the other at $269 (ski shop pricing)

BTW - the Atomic website lists the GS:II.2 as a R17m

Why would the tail numbers be embellished on one set, and why the wide variation in cost along with consistent sizing. Which set is the real Mcoy and why in heavens nature would such a name brand play such games?

Someone educate me, before I start badmouthing Atomic.

Here is what I got.

2 Brand new sets marked 140cm R14m 94-63-83 Both Graphics are the same with one exception. One says GS:II on the tail, the other says GS:II.21 One was priced at $99 the other at $269 (ski shop pricing)

BTW - the Atomic website lists the GS:II.2 as a R17m

Why would the tail numbers be embellished on one set, and why the wide variation in cost along with consistent sizing.  Which set is the real Mcoy and why in heavens nature would such a name brand play such games?

Someone educate me, before I start badmouthing Atomic.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...ssPageName=WDVW

it has the GS:11.21 at the tail, and its a 17m radius. have pics of this 14m one?

Yep - that is one of the pair, however the tail graphics are sightly different and the pair 11.21 I have are clearly marked R14m -

that now makes 3 distinctly different marked pairs - WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll be sure to bring both of them with me this weekend. I ain't buying that 3rd pair on Ebay unless Atomic is going to give me double my money back!!

I have no way of measuring the radius accurately to see if it is a typo on the ski and they are actually a 17m radius..

There can not be a good explanation for this.

it is possible that the tail graphics are different because of different model years, as they changed the tails of the GS:11s between years, while keep the whole rest of the ski the same. If they are both 14m, they are the same ski. And I think that 17m radius is for the new GS:11's...

if you're gunna be at blue on sunday, i'll take a look, see what i can make of it.

i think i've figured it out.  There are both GS:11,2 and GS:11,1's.  The GS:11,2's have a 17m radius, where as the GS:11,1's have a 14m radius.  That could explain the radius issue.  And the differnet tail graphics could be different years.  :)

Nope... the skis you listed above are not the ones I have..

GS:11 = 14m radius - no decimal point no nothing....

GS:11.21 = 14m radius

Different years?? that brings up a whole nother issue I haven't even started yet.. These skis look nothing like the ones on Atomics website for this year's version which is what I thought I ordered..

Are you saying that I have 2003 and 2002 models? I think not. They didnt have that aerorfoil top sheet thingy then. Or maybe they did..

it has the GS:11.21 at the tail, and its a 17m radius.  have pics of this 14m one?

Just to make this whole thing more confusing I just noticed that on the Ebay post

"03" Atomic GS:11 Junior Race ski,

140cm With Plate NEW

You are bidding on a BRAND NEW pair of Atomic GS:11 Junior Race skis, 140cm with a Plate still in the plastic. These skis have a sidecut of 99-63-79 and a turn radius of 17 meters. The racing plate is 15mm thick at the heel and 12mm at the toe.

The ones I have are 93-63-83 and the graphics all look the same!!! That is a huge difference in my opinion..

I am starting to get... where is the pissed off smiley button???

I have had enogh for now...

Nope... the skis you listed above are not the ones I have..

GS:11 = 14m radius - no decimal point no nothing....

GS:11.21 = 14m radius

Different years??  that brings up a whole nother issue I haven't even started yet..  These skis look nothing like the ones on Atomics website for this year's version which is what I thought I ordered.. 

Are you saying that I have 2003 and 2002 models?  I think not.  They didnt have that aerorfoil top sheet thingy then. Or maybe they did..

the ones you see on atomics site are the 2005s. It is possible you have 03's and 04's. The 2004's have the GS:11.21 marking, as shown here:

http://images.auctionworks.com/fullView.as.../EVK13445-4.jpg

Nope although it is getting closer. Mine have a big barcode under the topsheet above the GS11.21 and then the size information is layed out differently -

I wish I had a digital handy .. I am going to visit some shop owners and get this straightened out or I am going to leave there with free skies.

Either way I am feeling ripped off by the ol bait and switch!!

One last irritating thought about Atomic

DO NOT TAKE THIS AS DIG TOWARDS YOU --

I have now viewed 2 sets of race skis with clearly the same model number GS:11.21 with two different radius.. BULL SHIT!!

I have viewed 2 different model numbers GS:11 & GS:11.21 with the exact same size.

DOUBLE BULL SHIT!!!

I won't get fooled again...

Bummer. I though this thread was you taunting Jeff.

I can tell you this, if Atomics Graphics and Marketing of Model numbers is this screwed up then I can only presume that the skis don't even measure to what is stated on them.

Take it from someone in the know. These indescrepancies are a symptom of larger problem!!

One last irritating thought about Atomic 

DO NOT TAKE THIS AS DIG TOWARDS YOU -- 

I have now viewed 2 sets of race skis with clearly the same model number  GS:11.21 with two different radius..  BULL SHIT!!

I have viewed 2 different model numbers GS:11 & GS:11.21 with the exact same size.

DOUBLE BULL SHIT!!!

I won't get fooled again...

I've explained this before, they make TWO SETS of identical looking GS:11's....One is the Model 2 which has the 17m radius, the Model 1 which has the 14m radius (hence the ,2 and ,1 after the GS:11 in one of my previous post). My skis are 2003's, they DO NOT have a barcode. Atomic added barcodes in 2004. And yes, they changed the tail markings in 2004.

I've explained this before, they make TWO SETS of identical looking GS:11's....One is the Model 2 which has the 17m radius, the Model 1 which has the 14m radius (hence the ,2 and ,1 after the GS:11 in one of my previous post).  My skis are 2003's, they DO NOT have a barcode.  Atomic added barcodes in 2004.  And yes, they changed the tail markings in 2004.

OK - but imagine my dismay when I order what I thought was a 17m an i received a 14m or that one ski is 3 times the price or that there are other that there are other variations. it makes me wonder what they truly measure, probably somethig all together different.... ahhh just forget it.. I will get it straighted out today..

it has the GS:11.21 at the tail, and its a 17m radius.  have pics of this 14m one?

Can't forget it..

Can you tell me what year they started making the GS:11.21 and at what year they decided to change the radius but not the model number?

Here is what I got.

2 Brand new IDENTICAL sets marked 140cm R14m 94-63-83 Both Graphics are the same with one exception. One says GS:II on the tail, the other says GS:II.21 One was priced at $99 the other at $269 (ski shop pricing)

Which set is which year? What is the real difference between the skis - the price?

Greg - please delete this string at the end of today. I thought someone would be able to provide confirmation of of what I suspect. I will find and contact an ATOMIC rep today and travel with skis in hand and will express my sentiments..

I am in the sales and marketing business and let me tell you...........

I am really disappointed in this form of Capitalism...

I've explained this before, they make TWO SETS of identical looking GS:11's....One is the Model 2 which has the 17m radius, the Model 1 which has the 14m radius (hence the ,2 and ,1 after the GS:11 in one of my previous post).  My skis are 2003's, they DO NOT have a barcode.  Atomic added barcodes in 2004.  And yes, they changed the tail markings in 2004.

What you wrote above is wrong!

Let me see if I have this right..

The GS:11.21 at r17m is from 2003 - viewed on ebay and auctionworks

The GS:11.21 at r14m is from 2004 - in my possession w/ barcode

The GS:11.2 at r17m is from 2005 - Atomic website

The GS:11.1 at r14m is from 2005 - Atomic website

The GS:11 at 14m is from when?- in my possession w/ barcode

Am I getting close?

Which ski would you buy?

Understand my frustration? This information is not available before the purchase unless you do what I did. Why would I purchase 2 sets, you ask? One set every day use, one set race only..

Confirmed...

The Atomic model numbers mean little to actual sizes.. Only buy the specification when buying this type of atomics, don't rely on the model number.

While they do change the construction every so often. Unless you want the cool graphics or unless there is a major design change.. Buy last years model.... It will save you a ton of money.... And that is that.... They play the name game because they can...

Ok - I am done ranting and raving. Going to Race Stock and avoid all the Marketing Hype next year..

Wont get fooled again - at least not by Atomic :nono

Edited by rlarick

It's industry wide. Go buy a Rossi 9X GS ski. Or a Fischer RC4. I don't think the ski manufacturer's plan is to con anyone out of 3 meters of turn radius. In fact, I needed a specific sidecut for a Rossi ski for Super G. There's no official Rossi website to research it; just message boards.