Is Atomic playing games?

Papasteeze

Atomic sponsorship for racers in the United States are considered for sub-35 USSA points, but more likely closer to 30. If 'Dude wins the PA Cup title next season, then goes to J2 Finals and beats all the New England kids, including all from the ski academies, then does really well in some Eastern FIS races...top 3, with times very close to the winner, then Atomic would start to consider 'Dude more than just a customer.

Race sponsorship is all about USSA/FIS points. Same for college scholarships, or even having a college race coach bother to recruit you. Kids are defined by their points. It's like an SAT score and it didn't matter that you were also in the chess club. Just the points.

Atomic sponsorship for racers in the United States are considered for sub-35 USSA points, but more likely closer to 30. If 'Dude wins the PA Cup title next season, then goes to J2 Finals and beats all the New England kids, including all from the ski academies, then does really well in some Eastern FIS races...top 3, with times very close to the winner, then Atomic would start to consider 'Dude more than just a customer.

Race sponsorship is all about USSA/FIS points. Same for college scholarships, or even having a college race coach bother to recruit you. Kids are defined by their points. It's like an SAT score and it didn't matter that you were also in the chess club. Just the points.

Understood - that is helpful to know. I think that it may be, that a full blown race sponsorship is one thing, swag for a 10 yr old is another. Could be nothing more than a carrot to appease my confusion with with their lableling of skis. It helps to know that for future reference. Thanks for the input.

Rob

Edited by rlarick

I'm sure 'Dude will be happy to give his input on Mt. Hood summer race camps. MHSSC was founded for racing, but also has a freestyle program. One session is just fine for the first year. They managed to keep my crazy daughter in line and she always had current World Cup racers from foreign nations as coaches in a low ratio.

You haven't even begun to spend money...

I'm sure 'Dude will be happy to give his input on Mt. Hood summer race camps. MHSSC was founded for racing, but also has a freestyle program. One session is just fine for the first year. They managed to keep my crazy daughter in line and she always had current World Cup racers from foreign nations as coaches in a low ratio.

You haven't even begun to spend money...

More great advice... Ridge's brother his headed for COC this summer - I was hoping to find a similar camp for Ridge. I would love to talk to some of you that have experience with sort of thing. PM me with a phone number!!

Well, siblet's boy toy is sponsored by Rossignol and just reached the lower 100's. He got picked up because he finished in the top 10 at JO's last year.

Edited by sibhusky

A top 10 in GS or SL at JO's and he's just now in the low 100's? How is that mathematically possible? He sure didn't stumble into JO's if he ended up in the top 10, so he had to have good points going in. The top 20 racers at JO's scored under 100 for those races. DH and SG are a whole different subject, since there are 200 tech events for every DH in the US.

A note about sponsorship: high school athletes in many states lose interscholastic eligibilty for accepting sponsorship and face being banned from regular school competition.

A top 10 in GS or SL at JO's and he's just now in the low 100's? How is that mathematically possible? He sure didn't stumble into JO's if he ended up in the top 10, so he had to have good points going in. The top 20 racers at JO's scored under 100 for those races. DH and SG are a whole different subject, since there are 200 tech events for every DH in the US.

A note about sponsorship: high school athletes in many states lose interscholastic eligibilty for accepting sponsorship and face being banned from regular school competition.

Went and looked up the stats. It seems my information wasn't quite right. He was fourth for our division, but not for the race. He wasn't even in the top 25 for the overall race.

Anyway, his points are not below 100 in anything last I checked.

Not sure if sponsorship is an issue for HS here as skiing not a HS sport in this state.

Edited by sibhusky

It doesn't matter what sport a kid is sponsored for. In most states, if a kid takes sponsorship in the form of money or gear, the kid loses interscholastic eligibility. It could be water polo in a YMCA league...if Speedo gives him a batch of free swimsuits and expects him to wear them in competition, then he loses his ability to play high school football in most states.

Ski Mag just did a story on Jeremy Bloom. Bloom is a World Cup mogul skier that also made the Colorado football team. He unsuccessfuly sued the NCAA to be able to keep his ski sponsors. Bloom took money and gear in order to train, while living in his parents basement. Most high school interscholastic sports associations mirror the NCAA rules.

For a kid attending Holderness School, it's no big deal...they are there to race and don't need to worry about losing high school eligibility; at most, they play intermural soccer in the few weeks of non-ski racing time.

In MT, a student may:

5. Participate in sports during the summer or during a season when the player is not a member of a regular high school team, providing monetary compensation is not received for services.

and

B. A student who becomes a professional in an MHSA-sponsored sport is

considered a professional in that sport only and is ineligible for further high school

athletic competition in that sport only until such time as returned to amateur status in that sport.

Presumably if the sport isn't an MHSA sport it's even less of an issue.