Ridge

skimom

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a drill that my coach at Mt. Hood had everyone do for a few runs at the beggining of the day, to get foward, if anyone wants it...

25754[/snapback]

I do, I do !!

Can anyone tell I didn't ski last weekend? :confused

Edited by Papasteeze

Ski999

I totally ignored the comment about having my skis too far apart. It made no sense.

I, too, was taught to pressure the downhill ski to turn and it works beautifully. But maybe I'm putting way too much pressure on the downhill ski and inadvertently bending one knee more than the other which creates that A-frame look in my shins.

btw, thanks for the invite to Sugarbush.

I did order that video - can't wait to see how ski instruction has changed with the introduction of the shaped skis.

Even from one coach to another, you will be told completly different things. I am realizing that I should listen to what the coaches say, and then just get out and try different things and see what works the best for me. Thats really what you have to do.

I have a drill that my coach at Mt. Hood had everyone do for a few runs at the beggining of the day, to get foward, if anyone wants it...

25754[/snapback]

I want it too. Whatsa Mom gotta do to get some help around here? :rofl

Edited by skimom

I was told that "javelin turns" are a thing of the past.

25791[/snapback]

Yes, for sure, they went to way of the wedl (sp?), but it's a good drill for keeping your upper body down the fall line. A lot of basic drills (like gorilla turning) are for isolating and doing one thing to an extreme, while other things are done wrong.

Even some of the older drills are sometimes good to do once in a while. Considering you do not do one type of turn, with the exact same amount of pressure on both skis, and stuff around every gate, it is good to know how to do a lot of things.

Skidude, I agree completely.  I've had many different instructors and each has their own ways and I give them all a try and stick with what works for me.

Of course when you hit the trails I find I forget 90% of what I was taught.  Too much to remember until it becomes second nature.

25807[/snapback]

Uh de ja vu!

This string reminds me of all of the different types of lessons I have had with all the different terminology and techniques given by all types of ages, genders and personalities with widely varying experience while I was simply trying to improve my golf/skiing/tennis/baseball/math/science/art/business.... IMO there are no right ways and no wrong ways - all the lessons are good and have taught me more the bad ones taught me even more.. BTW - all the instruction in the world is only as good as the student is capable of. I suck at all the aforementioned stuff!

"Great ski racers are made, not born" is the credo of places like CVA.

The biggest turnoff for most young skiers is the absolute regimine of training. Coaches may have different personalities they bring to training, but among the variety of different turns needed for various terrain and gate sets, there's only one "best" way to ski a race course. The world imitated Michael Von Gr

"Great ski racers are made, not born" is the credo of places like CVA.

The biggest turnoff for most young skiers is the absolute regimine of training. Coaches may have different personalities they bring to training, but among the variety of different turns needed for various terrain Days of specializing in one discipline are pretty much over. Crossing over tech and speed events is great for the sport.

25823[/snapback]

Now if we can just get Tanner on a slalom and Bode in the pipe.. ;) Talk about cross training!! :woot

The biggest dilemna in all of this is how to keep kids from becoming the basket cases like I see here in Wilmington DE skating programs. Ridge wants to race and that is what I'll do my best to provide for him next season. However, he did want to drive monster trucks last year, he will probably want to scuba dive the following.. I need to digest all of this info for awhile..

Papasteeze,

Hey, keep on letting us know your thought process as its been a real learning experience for all us parents. I can't wait to see what Ridge does next winter.

But I've always been impressed that you realize that the important thing is that Ridge makes the choice and at his age there's all kinds of things he wants to do.

You're right - its so sad to see young kids get burned out or discouraged.

Papasteeze,

Hey, keep on letting us know your thought process as its been a real learning experience for all us parents.  I can't wait to see what Ridge does next winter.

But I've always been impressed that you realize that the important thing is that Ridge makes the choice and at his age there's all kinds of things he wants to do.

You're right - its so sad to see young kids get burned out or discouraged.

25853[/snapback]

I'll probably be as active and vocal as time and priorities will allow, for well into next year. It should be fun and enlightening next year as I take the boys through the paces. If its not, we'll go back to what we always have done ski everywhere anytime we can.

Funny - Ridge just told me he wants to slide rails Friday night.. I told him "thats cool" but only on your brothers skis!!

Not really burned out - but more overscheduled. Kids playing multiple sports in the same season (like doing both baseball and soccer). These are kids in elementary school. Or parents signing up their kids for sports where the kid obviously don't want to be there.

My son's baseball coach told me a story where he coached a kid who would leave the game after the third inning because he had to go play in a soccer match.

Not really burned out - but more overscheduled.  Kids playing multiple sports in the same season (like doing both baseball and soccer).  These are kids in elementary school.  Or parents signing up their kids for sports where the kid obviously don't want to be there.

My son's baseball coach told me a story where he coached a kid who would leave the game after the third inning because he had to go play in a soccer match.

25879[/snapback]

This thread makes it seem that skiing is unique in how specialized kids have to be to reach a high level, but I covered a high school soccer game last week where eight starters on one team play soccer at least eight months out of the year. They were awesome...

Being in high school is one thing but isn't Ridge only 10 years old?  My only comment to Rob is not to be upset if Ridge suddenly announces half way through next winter that he wants to play basketball on the weekends and not ski race.

Not that I expect that to happen but you never know.

25887[/snapback]

The University of Delaware has a very strong olympic ski program within its confines.. The stories are numerous of about stressed out kids and parents around here. My OS was warning me about the balancing act this week. BTW - it looks like they are having to cut me again :(

I won't be upset, it will be a relief, if Ridge decides not to want to race competitively.... At the beginning of February I had no idea of how good he was. This has all been a whirlwind. Believe me when I say that it is highly likely that he will change his mind to other things as time goes on. Traveling has alway been part of our life since the day they were born - so they are very accustomed to road trips, so that part doesn't bother me. The compromise would be NASTAR every year - get some lessons and focus on kicking but at the Nationals. That is still quite an accomplishment in everyones eyes except the hard core racing community.

Is it winter yet? I forgot to mention that more than a million seconds have elapsed since the clock was added.

We are wallpapering Steezemachines room with trailmaps - it's looking pretty cool!!!

The University of Delaware has a very strong olympic ski program within its confines..  The stories are numerous of about stressed out kids and parents around here.

25901[/snapback]

The University of Delaware is one of our accounts and I was only aware of their ski/snowboard club that meets at Blue Mountain. I've shot their drunken outings four or five times for the yearbook. I didn't know they even had a ski team, or were you kidding?