Another end of season was question

JollyJake99

Has anyone found a wax that prevents or reduces the build-up of the black soot-like gunk that accumulates on the ski bases as the weather warms up? Am I wrong to blame this stuff for the ski-stopping jerking that seems to accompany the warming weather at the end of the season? And sibhusky, not that you've left the east coast, do you encounter thisstuff in the Rockies?

Has anyone found a wax that prevents or reduces the build-up of the black soot-like gunk that accumulates on the ski bases as the weather warms up? Am I wrong to blame this stuff for the ski-stopping jerking that seems to accompany the warming weather at the end of the season? And sibhusky, not that you've left the east coast, do you encounter thisstuff in the Rockies?

It's the mositure content of the snow and water laying on it, that causes the jerking of your skis.

• 4 months later...

The black stuff that builds up on your bases is dirt, tree sap, and all that other gunk that gets mixed in with snow as a season goes on. The reason it gets worse in the spring is because the snowpack is melting, so the top layer of the snow not only has the gunk that got mixed in with it, it has all the gunk that was mixed in with the layers of snow that used to be on top of it, but melted. It's like when that snow pile in the parking lot is completely black with sand on the outside. While it does effect how your ski slides, it slows you down overall, not jerking around. Like was said, that has to do with different densities/moisture level of the snow.

One season I had the issue, but I've learned that conditions overall are dangerous then, so I go home early in the day when I feel that grabbing starting and I avoid the parts of the hill where it happens. The past two seasons I haven't seen it and the season before that I hit a tree first.