Skis for my wife

OutCold

I am looking to get my wife some skis for christmas. She is just going into her third season skiing. She gets out at most 5 days a year. She is comfortable on green trails, but is progressing towards blues at this point. She likes her skis short, but I'm trying to get her to progress towards some longer skis. I was thinking of something in the 155cm range. I don't really know anything about skis, but she is about 130 and 5'6". I'm not necessarily looking for a new ski or a used, but I don't want to spend much more than $300 for a pair of skis and bindings. I'm gonna get her a nice pair of boots as well, so feel free to give recommendations for that as well. Thanks for the help.

I would go with something like a Metron, big power shovel for different kinds of snow and massive side cut for easy turn initiation and all that shit. Atomic skis are well made and the lower level metron's were pretty forgiving.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001IWHY76

All noobs need something that turns easy and is durable, the metron did this very well.

i'm not super familiar with the metron as far as the ski goes so i can't comment on that, but atomic bindings terrify me. i've never seen so many bindings consistently fail when they're only two or three years old. you might want to check out some of dyanastar's ladies stuff. you might come in a little over 300 for ski and binding for anything decent new though. i wouldn't waste your time on getting an entry level setup if she's interested and moderately athletic; she'll be outskiing it before the season is over. she'd be better served by getting a lower intermediate ski thats a year or two old if you've gotta stick to the $300 budget.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm looking at the Dynastar Exclusive Active Blue & the Volkl Oceana ....... Do you guys think those are two good choices for what I'm looking for?

....btw I threw the $300 guideline out the window I realized I probably wasn't going to find anything good that cheap.

....btw I threw the $300 guideline out the window I realized I probably wasn't going to find anything good that cheap.

Check ebay. You should be able to find a ton of stuff under $300. Here's new pair of K2 Burnin Luv's (advanced ski though) with bindings for $249 shipped. Decent women's skis can be had cheap.

http://cgi.ebay.com/K2-BURNIN-LUV-11-0-Womens-Skis-160-w-Bindings-LOVE-NEW_W0QQitemZ130346836231QQcmdZViewItemQQptZSkiing?hash=item1e5946e107