12/30/2009

AtomicSkier

Rolled into the lot around 2:52pm and the bottom lot was filled, as in almost every spot was taken. Somehow, there happened to be a spot between Rodney and NazerethSkier Jay, who had just pulled in a few seconds before me. We booted up, and hit the snow. Rodney told us the quad VIP line was empty, so we stuck to the quad pretty much the whole day. We skied a little bit of everything, and everything was a sheet of ice, with the exception of the top of main street. Rodney did say, however, the area between Razors and Challenge was nice soft snow, and in fact, it was. So we popped on and off of the trail enjoying the best "snow" on the mountain. Lazy Mile was the worst, and Paradise and Nightmare/Dreamweaver were a close second. Toast met up with us after a few runs. We did a few more runs down Challenge, a run of Paradise, another run on challenge and then headed out. I was there for about 2 hours.

Jay was in front of me on the way out, and as we were on our way back down the mountain on the Lehigh Valley side, we got stopped before the hairpin turn. The traffic light was backed up all the way up the mountain. It took me about 15 minutes to get through the stop light by the BMDI. Once we got through it Jay and I motored along quite nicely. Anyway, any way you slice it or dice it, JADIP.

Oh yea, there had to be at least 10,000 people there today. Both quad and 6 pack lines were almost off of the snow.

Wasn't bad up until noon. After that, all the crowd had finally made their way thru the rental shop and hit the slopes. I left Summit area around 2:30 and there were no spots available. Cars were parked almost all the way down to the Blue Mountain Drive entrance.

I'll repost this here for Shits. This is where it belongs.

The Place was a Shit Hole today man.... Dave said it was a Record setting Day, I believe it! After my 7 Hours of Servitude I did 2 runs top to bottom which was Icy Mile (which it all was, only a fraction of pow on the sides) to Lower Sidewinder which was ice and Central Park to steeze out on the 30 footer which had the best conditions. Did a Vista Midway Main St run which was of course all skied off like Icy Mile only pow on the sides. Then checked out Come Around which was just as icy. And to top it off dodging all the Gapers like Frogger was bad enough. All the snow was skied off every trail I was on... Besides Tuts, Terrain Run & Central Park.

Some Blue Jean mofo and her friend had the nerve to complain while Me and My Buddy were in line for Vista saying quote "I HATE Blue Mountain, It's always crowded and the Trails are always Icy" I overheard her and I said Then don't fucking come on a Holiday Week jackass. Don't put down Blue the True because you can't make it here on a Normal Day when there isn't 23 people per 50 foot Radius to dodge. Pisses me Off.

Wow..I wonder how backed up the light at 248 was...good for Blue for pulling in a ton of business!!!

it was real backed up. the top rental shop ran out of equipment and the valley almost did also. i rode for a while after work and it was crowded as hell. its rad to see tons of snow on the park. that should open soooon. i cant wait till the crowds calm down.

Wow! Seems like I made the right decision to go to Ski Big Bear today. I had planned to go to Elk but they aren't 100% open and I will likely go later this weekend. Wanted to check out Ski Big Bear and today seemed like a good day. Got up early. Was temped to go to Blue on the drive. Drove right past CB on the way. Got to Big Bear at 9:30 and it was all fresh groomed cord. Was the third person down Screamin' Demon. Skied fresh cord until noon. No crowds. It started getting skied off a little around 4:15 when I left. Nothing too difficult. The only real black diamond trail is Screamin' Demon. Blue cruiser paradise. No lift lines. Report to follow with pics (once I figure out hown to post pics here.)

Date(s) Skied: Dec 30, 2009

Resort or Ski Area: Blue Mountain

Conditions: Brutal. Dust on crust and sugar in some parts of the trails. Wind blown boilerplate every where else. Insanely crowded.

Trip Report: What a wild night a Blue. As turn off 946 on to Blue Mountain Drive, I can see the line of cars waiting at the light goes well past the Blue Mountain Drive In. In fact, it goes almost to the driveway entrance of the upper lot (2+ miles). Wow! I continue down to the valley lodge, and as I come over the top of the hill, I can see the lower lot is packed! It's 5:30PM. Wow! So I happen to just get lucky and get a good spot anyway. Line at the 6-pack is full, but the VIP line is empty. I'll have to admit that Blue was going a very good job trying to send up full chairs. They even had lifties by the lift yelling "Two per lane!" over and over again, and the lift guys were telling everyone when to go. Overall, I though Blue did a pretty good job with keeping the line going.

Lazy Mile was mostly boilerplate and in full blown Crazy mode. Main Street was a little better, but there were some huge moguls right where the dark spot is on the lower half of the trail and people were wrecking themselves pretty good since they couldn't see them coming. Gaper central. Nightmare was pretty good, and some parts of Dreamweaver were just ok. Paradise was pretty good. The Blue Mountain Race team was doing their high speed practicing down Paradise (a drill where you ski while holding your poles over your head???). So I did the same thing and the Speed Patrol left me alone.

Rode the Quad most of the night, but then around 7 they shut the Quad down. Line over at the 6-pack was now brutal, but great for the VIP line. Easily ticked holders out numbered pass holders 200 to 1. At 7:30, they re-opened the Quad and I rode that for the rest of the night. Serious snowmaking going on in Sidewinder Park, and Razors.

I felt pretty good out there despite the conditions. Not ideal conditions for the Jet Fuels, my Crossfires would have been a better choice, but I wanted to ski them anyway. Nonetheless, they were still very stable. Even on boilerplate, if you stay in a good form, they (kinda) will hold edge. Again, I pushed myself into speeds that I'm not normally comfortable with and railed it. I'm pretty happy about that.

Had a few safety meetings while riding the Quad, but it was way to cold out for that, so I gave up. On one ride on the 6 pack, a guy I met last season night skiing gave me a can of Bud and a swig of jungle juice. Nice. I stayed until a little after 8pm and decided to call it a night. I had a total blast night skiing, something I need to do more often.

Lazy Mile (from the lift)

IMG_0011.jpg

Snowmaking in Sidewinder Park

IMG_0015.jpg

IMG_0017.jpg

Main Street

IMG_0023.jpg

IMG_0024.jpg

Snowmaking on Razor's Edge

IMG_0034.jpg

IMG_0035.jpg

IMG_0053.jpg