Simon Dumont

insomniac

World Cup men are now reaching 98mph. At Wengen there was a marker for 60 meters from the lip of the takeoff and a few racers went past the marker. That's 197+ feet. Consider the downhiller is launching and landing on ice; is also going off three or more other jumps of 100 to 150 feet druing the same two mile run; is racing against 60 other people against the clock.

Some cliff jumpers may be crazier, but there is no comparison to who is ballsier. I'd still love to see Tanner take Rahlves up on the challenge of just skiing down the Hahnenkamm.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

World Cup men are now reaching 98mph. At Wengen there was a marker for 60 meters from the lip of the takeoff and a few racers went past the marker. That's 197+ feet. Consider the downhiller is launching and landing on ice; is also going off three or more other jumps of 100 to 150 feet druing the same two mile run; is racing against 60 other people against the clock.

Some cliff jumpers may be crazier, but there is no comparison to who is ballsier. I'd still love to see Tanner take Rahlves up on the challenge of just skiing down the Hahnenkamm.

Hmm, there must be some factors I did not consider. Maybe the speed at which the go airbourne is not 80 mph (aka not as close to the top speed possible as I initially thought) or maybe wind resistance plays a much bigger factor than I anticipated. According to my calculations they should have been WELL past the 197 foot mark if the "jump" had any kind of significant pitch after it.

Hmm, there must be some factors I did not consider. Maybe the speed at which the go airbourne is not 80 mph (aka not as close to the top speed possible as I initially thought) or maybe wind resistance plays a much bigger factor than I anticipated. According to my calculations they should have been WELL past the 197 foot mark if the "jump" had any kind of significant pitch after it.

Average speed for a downhill course is about 60mph. They hit jumps at a variety of speeds. Some are 45mph and some are at 75mph, or faster. But taking air is slow, so a racer squashes the takeoff and presses his hands down and tries to get back to the snow as soon as possible. The longest jumps are usually fairly high speed and the terrain simply drops away, then the skier has to land and hit a turn.

Average speed for a downhill course is about 60mph. They hit jumps at a variety of speeds. Some are 45mph and some are at 75mph, or faster. But taking air is slow, so a racer squashes the takeoff and presses his hands down and tries to get back to the snow as soon as possible. The longest jumps are usually fairly high speed and the terrain simply drops away, then the skier has to land and hit a turn.

Right I forgot to take into account the "dampening" they do. I'm sure that accounts for alot. Also I didn't think the speeds would be that much lower. Nevertheless... assuming they wanted to go for distance... poping off a headwall at those speeds instead of absorbing the lip, I would imagine they would still get significant distance.

lineski, i dont think chads is quite 190 feet, its more like 110 or 120 or so, which is still huge, but not nearly 200 feet. also, tanner was not the first to hit it switch. eric pollard tried a zero over it last year but didnt land it, and andy mahre and pep fujas both hit it switch earlier this year, before tanner i believe.