This Weekend at Blue

Metz the Jersey boy

Heyoo, I'll be at Blue on Sunday for the Eastern PA Ski Council Cup Race. I'll have some time to ski around and I'm hoping to see a few familiar faces, as well as some I haven't met before. If you're going to be around, I'll have on a red spyder jacket with black spyder pants and a silver carerra helmet/red lens goggles. If I'm in my speedsuit its a black spyder with red web all over it. I'll be skiing on -gulp- a pair of red and white Atomics or MAYBE my silver Nordicas. Hit me up for some turns. My girlfriend will be with me since she's racing too. If you want to ski don't worry, she'll keep up easily. I'm pretty sure I'll be there for the morning until 4 or 5.

Edited by Metz the Jersey boy

Yeah, I'll be there pretty early since the council cup race registration includes a booter mountain breakfast. haha. We'll be in the top lodge but I'll definitely be looking out for you on the mountain doug. You still wear the same jacket? I think you were skiing on atomic supercrosses last time I saw you?

EDIT: Oh yeah, it also includes free beers after. Well, not free, but they get a keg and we can have all we'd like. haha. Not a bad deal for 50 bucks- breakfast, lift ticket, race registration, beer. Love it.

I think I have been through a couple jackets since I skied with you last and I now ski on fat skis. Yeah back then I was on the Atomic LT11s. Anyway if it is warm ( over 25 degrees) I will probably be wearing a green fleece. If you wait at the top of the 6-pack it is guarenteed you will see some PASRs including myself within 10 minutes. Seems like a good deal...I guess the race is on raceway.

forecast is for high 30s and mostly sunny on sunday. i think the fleece will be a safe bet.

oh, and the bumps on mainstreet were incredible today. top to bottom run of the best bumps i have ever skied in PA, and maybe even the whole northeast. they are doing a great job with them. the 3 inches of wet snow that setting on them made them great this morning. i probably took 8 or 9 runs on them and then hit some on nightmare. then called it quits.

Yeah, hopefully I can meet some of the guys I've never met. Unfortunately I don't have any PASR stickers on my race helmet, but I'm sure you'll have a few guys in tow Doug. Like I said, I'll be in my same red spyder jacket and my girl wears a magenta/purple north face jacket. I'll make sure I camp out at the top of the 6-er for a bit to try and find you.

Ahhh, its refreshing to see we all picked up right where we left off. Me? Gaper? You guys are the ones skiing fat skis in the poconos. lol. Thats not gaper-esque, but (even though I know you're not) it looks quite poseur-ish. haha. And come on Jeff... I'm not short and stocky. Just average height and stocky. :nana

LOL, I had those Karma's for less than a season and I sold them. They were a nice ski, but just too much for the poconos. They had an 84mm waist I believe. I'm getting a new quiver for next season... but nothing that wide. No reason. Most of these fat skis don't have shovels any bigger than normal carvers, so they'll handle crud and sugar just as well. I dunno, you ski what you wanna ski. I know you and A-Jeff ski out west, so its not posing... I just wouldn't buy those skis considering I ski in the east.

PS- Hey hot chick who's lurking.

Damn buddy... those things are huge. Next year I'm thinking of taking a big step up for my freeride skis... to a 78mm waist, just so I have something for when its not boilerplate.

Almost 1/2 of my days skied at Blue are on my Volkl Gotamas...190cm long and 105mm under foot with a 29m radius. They're better on ice then my PEs :wiggle

LOL, I had those Karma's for less than a season and I sold them. They were a nice ski, but just too much for the poconos. They had an 84mm waist I believe. I'm getting a new quiver for next season... but nothing that wide. No reason. Most of these fat skis don't have shovels any bigger than normal carvers, so they'll handle crud and sugar just as well. I dunno, you ski what you wanna ski. I know you and A-Jeff ski out west, so its not posing... I just wouldn't buy those skis considering I ski in the east.

PS- Hey hot chick who's lurking.

my carving skis are 105mm in the waist. i've been skiing for 22 years. there's no reason not to ski something wide. unless you're on a pair of slalom skis, i'll stay right in your tracks on 105mm waisted rockered skis.

Just saying, those wide skis aren't as maneuverable on eastern snow. The Goats are great skis, but just not made for this stuff out here. As for rockered skis... yeah... I'm not a fan. Everyone is making them next year... and K2's entire line is rockered with the exception of a few models. Rocker is great in knee-deep powder, but the only reason to ski something rockered out here is if you need help turning or staying out of the back seat. I'm not saying you all should change your skis... just saying its a bit of overkill for 99% of the ski days in the east. Just my humble opinion, but Blue isn't exactly what they had in mind when they started making "big mountain" skis like those fatties you guys like to get on.

Just average height and stocky. nana.gif

Skinny guys always wanna bring up height.rolleyes.gif Need I remind some of ya of Mike Tyson or BJ Penn.biggrin.gif Shit, Shaun White looked like a ballerina when met him last year.

I recall some size comments on this site from others with different body types as well.blink.gif

Edited by TT C6

Just saying, those wide skis aren't as maneuverable on eastern snow. The Goats are great skis, but just not made for this stuff out here. As for rockered skis... yeah... I'm not a fan. Everyone is making them next year... and K2's entire line is rockered with the exception of a few models. Rocker is great in knee-deep powder, but the only reason to ski something rockered out here is if you need help turning or staying out of the back seat. I'm not saying you all should change your skis... just saying its a bit of overkill for 99% of the ski days in the east. Just my humble opinion, but Blue isn't exactly what they had in mind when they started making "big mountain" skis like those fatties you guys like to get on.

I have last years which are non rockered. But, for 95% of the time at Blue, race skis suck. They don't absorb bumps, they don't plow through piles. My 179cm 85mm waist 21m Public Enemies are like slalom skis to me and are the smallest radius I want to ski at Blue. The Got's simply are like a beefy GS ski that will go through anything. Nothing phases them. You're a little behind the times if you're still skiing something <70mm in the waist :nana

Jeff isn't even really that skinny though. He's not fat, but he's a pretty big dude. Me, yeah, I'm pretty stocky. haha. but 5'9" isn't really short last time I checked... Damn you Jeff for starting this convo. You better be at Blue Sunday for some turns.

Jeff isn't even really that skinny though. He's not fat, but he's a pretty big dude. Me, yeah, I'm pretty stocky. haha. but 5'9" isn't really short last time I checked... Damn you Jeff for starting this convo. You better be at Blue Sunday for some turns.

LOL you're a clown. I've lost 50 lbs.

The narrowest skis I own are 85 at the waist...lol

(waist skis in my quiver... 85.91.105.115 and I like the 115's the best I think)

I used to rock skiboards at one time and now I'm balling on some 115 waisted skis in a 190....

there are days they suck, but the majority of the time they kick arse!!

The narrowest skis I own are 85 at the waist...lol

(waist skis in my quiver... 85.91.105.115 and I like the 115's the best I think)

I used to rock skiboards at one time and now I'm balling on some 115 waisted skis in a 190....

there are days they suck, but the majority of the time they kick arse!!

hell yea! :nana

I recall some size comments on this site from others with different body types as well.blink.gif

Look, I'm sorry I'm taller than almost everyone on here. I can't help it people. Haha.

I used to rock skiboards at one time

I would have loved to see that. If you come to Gaper Day bring them.

That's part of the joy of skiing. To each their own. And Jeff, congrats on the weight loss. I'm working on my own. All I gotta say is that my Nordica Dobermanns are 64mm in the waist (I think maybe 62 or 63) and they ride on rails. I'm trying to decide on an every day ski for next season... Its either going to be the Stockli Laser Cross Pros or the Head Peak 78's. I'm leaning towards the Heads.

And I'm not really behind the times here. I just ski pretty specialized stuff. I don't travel out west. I race 1-2 days a week. If I get something other than race skis it'll be something a little fatter that can ski multiple turn shapes, hit bumps if I want to, and maneuver in the trees. I just don't have any need for something with a 25m radius.

Yeah it has Doug. Too long. And Jeff, why do you need FIS legal skis? lol. For the record, mine WERE FIS legal when they were made haha. I believe they're still legal for masters, just not international competition. All i know now is that I'll have to bring them to keep up with you guys since you'll be on these surfboard sized skis lol

And yes, I'm quite stoked to ski with you guys this weekend too