conditions 1/19/11

rummy

On mtn around 10:15AM, very slow start as BS was thrown until 2:00AM. We were pleasently surprised by the conditions. Packed powder with a dusting of fresh on the groomed trails. No ice or hard pack as expected. The mogul trails were different however, ungroomed they were coated with about 1.5" of crusty, crunchy, somewhat icy snow. The real challenge was the spooky movie fog blanketing the top 1/3rd of the mtn. One run you couldn't see 40' in front of you and the next run the fog would let up and visibility wasn't too bad. By 2:00pm the fog had lifted completely. There were 2 buses, one from the Huntington Valley ski club and another one filled with dentists who make an annual trip to Elk. No lift lines all day.

Elk should be really sweet this weekend despite the cold temps... The 6 inches they picked up last night should make for a really sweet topping... Especially on the ungroomed bump trails... There should even be some really good little side tracks on the sides of the trails... However, I doubt the mythical Elk woods are ready to be traversed...

Elk knows how to groom. Blue should hire away one of their groomers.

Planning on hitting Elk this weekend. The cold should keep the masses away or at least in the lodge.

Often the general manager Greg Confer is running a groomer, I don't think you'll be able to persuade him to leave. Another operator is the head of mtn maintenance and has been there a looooong time. He's not leaving anytime soon either. They are really and truly expert operators of some great up to date equiptment. Binghamton weatherman was saying this morning, lows on Monday should hit -15 to -20. The trails should be real empty then.

the new radio ad for Elk says that it was rated top 10 in snow conditions in the east..

Get to Elk early this weekend and see why they have the best grooming. You get to Blue a half hr. early to get first chair for 2hrs. on a weekend morning to race up and down the mountain before it gets skied off. Go to Elk and the conditions last all day. Elk has the best terrain in PA. Best bump run and best steeps. Expand your horizons and enjoy what each area has to offer. No, they don't have any high speed lifts and don't need any. For me the ride down is more important than the ride up and Elk blows Blue and CB away in that category. I'll be there for first chair on Sunday. Should be great. The cold will keep people home or in the lodge. I was at Okemo on Monday and it was -5F at the top and the masses were heading home while the conditions were great and it was ski right on the lifts. pm me if anyone wants to meet up.