Elk Sunday 1-23-11

trackbiker

Skied Elk today. Pulled into the lot at 8:30. Took my time getting there because the guy I was going to meet backed out when his wife wouldn't let his 6 yr. old go because she thought it would be too cold. I thought it would be uncrowded for a weekend day but it was more like a busy weekday. I didn't see many cars heading north on the PA Tpk. and I couldn't believe how empty the lot was when I pulled in. Parked in the first row by the Elk Wagon, third car in. Elk Wagon driver said it was zero degrees. Booted up in the lodge and even got one of the few cubbies on the main floor.

Got on the slopes around 8:50. They were only loading one of the doubles in front of the lodge and it was ski right on. They started loading the other one around 10:00 but there were lots of singles and empty chairs on the lifts. First run was straight down Susquehanna. Plenty of fresh groomed cord left. Skied all the trails on the east side then headed over to the west side. Skied all the trails on the west side except Tunkhannock ( not a good bump skier and didn't have anyone to drive me home if I got hurt.) I did ski the bumps on Chippewa and Iroquois. All in all a great uncrowded day. Even Tioga was a lot of fun. Without the usual hoard of gapers on it you could ski it fast and turn off on Tioga Spur. Cold but more sun than clouds. Took a morning and afternoon break in addition to lunch to warm up. They never ran the double on the double-quad on the west side. No need to. They stopped running the other double in front of the lodge around 2:30. Not many pics due to the cold...my hands and the batteries in the camera dying. Skied 'till 3:30 and took I81, I380, PA33, I78, PA309 home in the same time it took to get there without the $6.95 in tolls and better roads than the PA Tpk.

4d3cdea5f042d.jpg

Not much wind today but when there is Elk is a good place to ski due to all the spruce trees they've been planting for years.

4d3cde892384a.jpg

Tunkhannock is their signature bump run. The last few years they let Chippewa bump up and this year they added Iroquois to the mix.

4d3cdf2a6ceed.jpg

That's awesome!!! Can't wait to get up there later this year... It was awesome when I went in December, so with all this good weather, I'm betting its getting better every day... Glad to see more people on PASR are getting out there to ski and board this year... Its well worth it... Great quality and conditions... Little pricey, but you pay for what you get...

Little pricey, but you pay for what you get...

$52.00 if you buy the ticket at a local townwship recreation department for a weekend day. $42.00 for a weekday ticket or $43.00 for a weekday if you print out the coupon on skipa.com. Well worth it when you consider VT tickets are in the mid $70's to mid $80's.

Wednesdays are $20.00 for college students with an I.D. Wish I still had one!

$52.00 if you buy the ticket at a local townwship recreation department for a weekend day. $42.00 for a weekday ticket or $43.00 for a weekday if you print out the coupon on skipa.com. Well worth it when you consider VT tickets are in the mid $70's to mid $80's.

Wednesdays are $20.00 for college students with an I.D. Wish I still had one!

Also, if you buy a case of Coors light at the local beer outlets, you should see a coupon for a $20 lift ticket attached. Good on "Wild Wednesdays" through mid-March I believe.