ninthward a-team pants and jacket

Wolverine21

im thinkin about gettin these clothes for next year but they are only 8000mm waterproofing. people say dont buy under 10000mm. does the 2000mm make a difference, or not? thanks

26957[/snapback]

I've ridden in a cotton hoodie in everything from rain to snow. I really don't know why all this fuss about water proofing, just layer and make sure your bottom layer doesn't attract water. Besides we don't really get that precipitation around here to warrant anything over the top. Just don't sit around on the snow/ice/rain and you should be ok.

I think I asked dthmtl everytime we skied/rode together why he wore a hoodie each time. I mean, I love to wear mine when it gets warmer out and the sun is nice and high, nothings better, but at BC it was pouring rain, he had his hoodie. At CB when it was freakin cold, he had the hoodie. :confused:P

I ride in a hoodie everyday too. I just wear at least to layers of under armour. Except there was that one time I regret wearing a hoodie, these two times we got a lot of snow and I just kept getting hit with the powder. I was soaking wet that day.

I used to ski in the rain quite a bit at CB. Unfortunately, although I used "all conditions" Goretex, I found that the main point of system failure was my gloves. I've even tried Playtex dishwashing gloves, but couldn't get them big enough to put Polartec liners under them. The result was either my hands were freezing due to no insulation or my hands were freezing due to wetness. On top of that, I always got water creeping UP my arms from the cuffs of my jacket. If you put the cuff of the glove OUTSIDE the jacket, the water ran into the glove. If you put them INSIDE the jacket, then it would dribble in each time you raised your arm a bit.

So, the solution was to pack a lot of normal winter Polartec gloves and keep changing them AND to make sure that the Goretex cuff of the jacket was snugged against my skin, with no underlayers in the cuff area.

Then, of course, you are left with it coming down your neck..... Face it, you won't get in a whole day of skiing and still be dry.

I have a pretty beat pair of mittens and unless I ride for more than 3 hours I don't have issues with wet gloves. Maybe there is more snow contact with skiing?!?! I don't think so though. I'm always using my hands to stand up after strapping in at the top of the lift and such. If I spend all day at the mountain, most everything will be wet, but if its just 3 hours or less I'm pretty much dry as a bone, minus any sweating.

Sib, I have the problem of the water creeping up my arm, even with my Gortex golf stuff, it creeps up my arm. however, the rest of the jacket stays perfectly dry. When we were at BC this year, it was raining, but I've had weather 20x worse at Okemo, and when i took my jacket off, I was perfectly dry. Gortex is amazing.

• 2 weeks later...