Montage on news

Glenn

Tonight at 10 pm on fox 56 (don't know who gets it) they are doing a piece on montage traffic issues and why they are trying to sell... and why they haven't accepted any offers yet. Just FYI

27857[/snapback]

Thanks for the heads up...

10 second story: didn't sell; want someone as manager. It was a sidebar to the Red Barons and Dave "The Poop" Matthews Band traffic story.

County Commissioners are looking for someone to come in and turn Montage into a profitable ski area...perhaps so more money can be raised in order to pay for the incredible deficit the stadium down the hill leaves.

It started out at $9 million last year, but was assessed by Snowtime Inc. at roughly half that amount. Here's the Commissioner's link:

http://www.lackawannacounty.org/viewDepartment.aspx?DeptID=8

This guy has been the Commission office spokeperson:

Robert C. Cordaro

Phone: 570-963-6800

Fax: 570-963-6812

E-mail: Cordaror@lackawannacounty.org

Administrative Assistant: Jill Sensi

Edited by ski999

4m - who owns the ground now? Any idea if it will support condos adjacent to the property?

27929[/snapback]

It's owned by Lackawanna County, along with the Ford Pavillion (where Missy saw Dave Matthews last night---near the ski hill), and Lackawanna Stadium (where the Philly farm team plays). The stadium is at the bottom of the access road.

There are various townhouse, condo, and single family developments on the access road, as well as a decent golf course. Those are privately held properties, separate from the ski area.

There are several hundred acres for sale along the access road.

Wherein CB has had to fight for every acre of expansion, Lackawanna County wants to throw land at prospective builders.

The Lackawanna County Commissioners have screwed up every aspect of the area. They had a chance to cash in and sell the stadium name when the Red Barons were a hot property. Instead, they bickered and jerked around some interested big companies. They ended up having to settle on some low revenue deal with a local tire company.

Montage made money for six consecutive seasons (due mainly to the snow tubing addition), but then ran into bad weather for XMas week two years ago and they went crazy trying to sell it. The county is in financial ruin, with something like a 48% property tax increase to help the deficit.

Montage has such an amazingly low overhead compared to other ski areas that it will eventually sell. If you recall an earlier thread, they spent $20,000 or so to advertise it in USA Today and The Wall Street Journal for $9 million, which was absurd.

I've been reading that China has been buying everything, from IBM's laptop division to Maytag. Hmmmm....I'd support a Chinese takeover.

Mmmmm...Chinese....

pupu.gif

I put this in here just for the history of the subject.

MONTAGE SKI AREA FOR SALE

May 10, 2004

SAM Magazine--Scranton, Pa., May 10, 2004--Montage Mountain Ski Area, owned by Lackawanna County, is for sale. The minimum sale price is $9.6 million in cash. Three potential bidders have shown interest, including one group led by Joe Aichholz Jr., owner of nearby Blue Marsh Ski Area. A northern Poconos ski area is also said to be interested. The county commisioners have asked bidders to submit offers by June 4.

Montage opened in 1984 and has been county-owned since 1991. The 400-acre resort in the northwestern Poconos offers day and night skiing on 140 acres and a 1,000 vertical. The area has 21 trails, 5 chairs, two surface lifts, plus a waterslide and tubing hill. The trails are 100 percent covered by snowmaking, but county commissioners estimate the system needs $4 million to $5 million in improvements.

Interested buyers must guarantee they will operate the ski resort for a minimum of 10 years, retain 20 full-time employees, make needed capital improvements and detail family recreation programs for county residents.

papasteeze dont tell your company about the land across the street. then i wont have anywhere to ride my quad :banghead:nono. the land is for sale. a friend of mine spraypainted over the signs so you cant see that the land is for sale. hopefully noone buys and builds back there. the county seems not to care much about tresspassing. i never got caught riding. :wiggle the only place i've seent tresspassing signs is along the road goin up montage and near the dam. they even put gates up near the dam. that didnt stop me :lol