Sunday River and Jay Peak to Make Snow this Week

VTSKI

From Sunday River's website:

Sunday night, we're going to do what we do best; provide the most dependable snow in New England. How? We're turning on the snowguns baby! Yes, that is not a typo or a brain-fart. We really, truly are. Where? We're going to start up high on Barker and Locke and as temps allow we'll cover South Ridge. Why are we doing this? Isn't it a waste of money? The truth is, we're doing this because it's our dedication to you. This is why we have the most dependable snow in New England. This is why we open before Halloween four years in a row. This is why we are known to have the longest season in the East. This is why we're your Happy Place.

From Jay Peak's Face Book Site:

Looks cold enough to us--we're turning the guns back on. Lighting things up for a good 24 hour period or so Monday into Tuesday. More details to follow today. Spring huh?

This is good news. As expected, they are going to concentrate on the high traffic areas with good base lodges. They did some great grooming when the temps dropped last night and it looks completely different out there... It's nice to see the growing coverage, even if it is from moving snow around...

I don't have to work the next four days, so I figured I would go out and free ride a bit to log my 100th day. That being said, I got some more pics of the snowmaking underway. There were very few people shredding today, so no action pics.

I got to the mountain at 8:50 to 22 degree temps. I took my time booting up and got on the lift at 9:10. Guns were blazing and there was a significant difference from yesterday. With the limited terrain I decided to hit all the trails on spruce today, with the intention of hitting the trails on barker tomorrow. Everything below the South Ridge Quad had snowmaking. Some guns were wet, some were dry. The groomed snow was also soft. The snow above the Quad was very firm and borderline unedgable in some places. Wind was still blowing and made it quite chilly. No wind holds like yesterday.

Pics: (the first one is the same shot as yesterday so that you can compare)

35456db8.jpg

02f0f0f0.jpg

3a30c34d.jpg

Pretty impressive efforts for this time of year, makes K-ton look pathetic.

I don't know about pathetic, frugal maybe. Not very "Beastly", that's for sure. I'm sure they could have afforded to throw 1 or 2 fan guns around the base of Superstar to help out.

• Like 1

I don't know about pathetic, frugal maybe. Not very "Beastly", that's for sure. I'm sure they could have afforded to throw 1 or 2 fan guns around the base of Superstar to help out.

They would have had to use fan guns... All of their compressors are rented, and they shipped the last pair out nearly two weeks ago... SR is fortunate in that we own our compressors and they are permanently on site... We also have an unlimited use permit from the Sunday River for water supply... Therefore, if we have the budget and the snowmakers, we can light them up when need be...

With all that being said, I came in to free ride again this morning around 10 am, and the guns were off. We also received 2 inches of snow overnight. That snow was wet, but not a super high density. The snow covered a bunch of hazards and I wiped out hard. Really banged up my arm on some rocks. That will be sore tomorrow. On the flip side, Meathead Films was filming and I got to ride the lift and take 3 runs with Radio Ron. That was fun. All in all, a good day. Hopefully the next couple days will be just as good...

• Like 2

They would have had to use fan guns... All of their compressors are rented, and they shipped the last pair out nearly two weeks ago...

WRONG

Electric Compressors at Killington

South Ridge: (2) 3600 CFM, 800 HP Ingersoll-Rand Centacs 7200 CFM

Killington Base: (3) 6000 CFM, 1250 HP Ingersoll-Rand Centacs 18000 CFM

Snowshed: (2) 6000 CFM, 1250 HP Ingersoll-Rand Centacs 12000 CFM

Total Electric Compressor CFM’s: 37200

Before Diesel Rentals were taken off line/returned. Total CFM’s approximately 100000

Most of the rentals left the first week of February.

Edited by VTSKI