TR BC 1/21/13

guitar73

cold and icy....that about sums it up last nite, lol. best snow to be had was on grizzly and sasquatch where little bumplets had developed from the holiday skier traffic. the best part of last nite was seeing lots of people biffing it on the bulletproof ice; kinda reminded me of the burma road carnage!

we rolled in about 7:15PM and got a primo spot right infront of the ticket office. the holiday crowds had all but dissapeared, which was fine by us. run of the nite was sasquatch....felt kinda flat after doing the canyon area at k-mart. skier's right was rutted up, but skier's left had a nice loose cruddy layer to get in some desecnt turns. turned in in at 9:30PM to grab some coffee and a twix bar.

Glad to hear you enjoyed it. The park had a lot of bulletproof spots last night from the crowds and temps. I still watched a kid double tip slam to faceplant trying a backflip on the jump though.......three times in a row. It was entertaining to watch actually, we just kept a radio in hand in case anybody got messed too bad. Had to call in one dude that requested patrol and a sled ride.

Gotta love the dirty looks from kids because they can't hit the jump when we're blocking it cause ski patrol is working in the landing. Like it's the end of the world if they have to wait one run to hit the jump again.

Even saw a couple of snowflakes last night.

• Like 1

Glad to hear you enjoyed it. The park had a lot of bulletproof spots last night from the crowds and temps. I still watched a kid double tip slam to faceplant trying a backflip on the jump though.......three times in a row. It was entertaining to watch actually, we just kept a radio in hand in case anybody got messed too bad. Had to call in one dude that requested patrol and a sled ride.Gotta love the dirty looks from kids because they can't hit the jump when we're blocking it cause ski patrol is working in the landing. Like it's the end of the world if they have to wait one run to hit the jump again.Even saw a couple of snowflakes last night.

Watched a kid last year land straight on his back off one of the jumps so me and a couple other people blocked it off, I believe justo was there?, any kids were telling us to get off the jump while there was a patroller up there with us whistling and waving them to the right. I don't understand how people can be so oblivious

Patrollers usually aren't very good skiers at least in PA.

We are definitely human... I'm not afraid to admit that I fall every once in awhile pretty good... However, you'll often find that while we are not the most technically skilled on the mountain, we aren't afraid of much, and can ski many things better than those who have better technical skills...

We are definitely human... I'm not afraid to admit that I fall every once in awhile pretty good... However, you'll often find that while we are not the most technically skilled on the mountain, we aren't afraid of much, and can ski many things better than those who have better technical skills...

Yea right, I saw one that sucked so bad last night he couldn't even get speed going down hill. He had to hold onto that rope on the back of the toboggon just so he could get down the hill ha.

Yea right, I saw one that sucked so bad last night he couldn't even get speed going down hill. He had to hold onto that rope on the back of the toboggon just so he could get down the hill ha.

Like I said, "often are." It sounds like this guy was holding onto a tail rope... I don't see any need for a tail rope... We barely use them up here...

Because skiing in pa is serious business!

I have done training on them, but I haven't actually had to use one in every day service... They are typically reserved for steep icy trails and bumps runs, just in case the person in the handles loses the tobo...

I have done training on them, but I haven't actually had to use one in every day service... They are typically reserved for steep icy trails and bumps runs, just in case the person in the handles loses the tobo...

I was being completely sarcastic.

The guys at Montage use that when they are on the Northface. It's a 3 patroller job to get someone off of those trails.

I know, I was just trying to describe when they are used, and for that reason, why they wouldn't be used in PA too often...

Better to be safe than sorry. Can you imagine if a single patroller taking someone down razors had to pull a toboggan by himself? Idc how good of a skier you are if you have a 300 pound New Yorker in your sled its going to be tough to control alone.

• Like 1

Better to be safe than sorry. Can you imagine if a single patroller taking someone down razors had to pull a toboggan by himself? Idc how good of a skier you are if you have a 300 pound New Yorker in your sled its going to be tough to control alone.

That's what you have a chain for... Ride your edges and push down on the chain...

• Like 1