Montage 3/1

Schif

I went up this morning to one of the only mountains around where I knew I wouldn't run into any PASRs in the parking lot. Since it's Montage I didn't feel any need to be up at the crack of dawn so I rolled into the lot leisurely around 10am.Temps were around 25 in the about half full lot, but I managed to snag a spot about 6 rows back from the Phoebe Snow unloading area. The snow was fantastic today, perfectly groomed "packed powder" or whatever the kids are calling it nowadays. Edgeable, smooth, and fast. No slick spots to be found all day. All the bumps had been mowed down on Smoke, Boomer and White Lightning, leaving smooth fresh surfaces to tear up. They made snow the past two nights, and it led to some fantastic conditions. White Lightning was dare I say it, very manageable. It's still steep as hell, but wasn't nearly as technical as usual, it was more of a bomb the hell out of it, carve some big turns and hold on to your hat.

There was an ASRA race on Switch today, and I rode the lift with a British chap who lives in Jersey and travels all around for races, I knew he was serious because he had one of those little single bar facemasks on his helmet like a field goal kicker. The top of the mountain was just as good as the bottom, and I even ventured over to the lodge area and hit up Mainline and Easy Street for some good turns, at one point as I passed the lodge, I counted 3 people basking in the sun and apparently asleep in the Adirondack chairs on the deck by the fire pits, really taking in that "I'm on vacation" kind of attitude. After Easy Street, I cut across the top of the bunny slope, much to the chagrin of people jealous of someone on that trail that knew how to work a snowboard properly, and cruised down Cannonball for a sweet top to bottom run. A few more laps on the Northface, and I took off around 2 with temps around 34. There was still tons of great snow and moderate crowds at best, so I realistically could have stayed there all day, but I had some stuff to take care of so I left.

As I'm driving down Montage Mountain road I get a call from my mom saying she was at the Shoppes at Montage just down the hill (It's very visible from the trails), and so I met her there, cruised around a shoe store wearing snowpants, and then I took her to lunch at Panera Bread. I'm hoping to convince some fair weather skiers to come out with me tomorrow, and then I'll have another report to write.

• Like 2