magna traction

Timeless

So this one mostly for boarders but the technical side (bullsh!t?) may interest the skiers too.

I womdered if anyone else has seen the new Lib Tech "revolutionary" board design with the crinkles down the side. Lots of claims made about better edge hold, control etc.

Does the theory, which is explained somewhat vaguely on their website, make sense to anyone with a technical knowledge of how a ski / board turns?

Anyone seen one?

Anyone tried one?

Should I buy one?

:confused

I really like lib-tech stuff, and have been looking at a "dark" as an alternative to my M3 discord, but now I'm wondering about one of these.....

I thik its a cool idea and I am prety sure more of their boards will be fearturing this system this year. The idea is that there is more than one effective edge, the effective edge goes in and out so you havce a bunch of small contact points, kind of like a bunch of small hockey skates on the side of your board. Form what I have heard the board rides real good and excels in bad conditions. I would like to demo one before I went out and bought one though. With the edges going in and out like they do I would think it would be very diffficult to tune.

• 3 months later...

this technology is actually being used by many companies under different labels. burton's variation is called "pressure distribution edges." it is not as dramatic as magna traction, but it was designed and functions with the same theory.

burtons a bunch of assholes that steal everyones ideas because they have money

but anyway, the lib tech rep that came to our shop was telling us how amazing the magna traction is. everyone i know who has tried one has loved it and will never go back to a regular board. lib is so seroius with this idea that they are actually thinking about how long it will take until they get rid of traditional edges on boards and have only magna traction. i plan on demoing it this year, and most likely will be buying a board with it next year.

and for you skiers, you'll definetely be excited with what lib has to offer next year....

Saw a few up at hood this summer. Some of the kids I know rode them and liked them, but it's still a Lib Tech. In my experiences, Mervin Mfg. isn't the most solid construction. I'm a little short on time, will post more later.

I have a Lib and after two seasons its BEAT.

I thik its a cool idea and I am prety sure more of their boards will be fearturing this system this year. The idea is that there is more than one effective edge, the effective edge goes in and out so you havce a bunch of small contact points, kind of like a bunch of small hockey skates on the side of your board. Form what I have heard the board rides real good and excels in bad conditions. I would like to demo one before I went out and bought one though. With the edges going in and out like they do I would think it would be very diffficult to tune.

Yeah, how the hell would you tune your edges? I can see doing the base edge, but what about the side edge?

but anyway, the lib tech rep that came to our shop was telling us how amazing the magna traction is. everyone i know who has tried one has loved it and will never go back to a regular board. lib is so seroius with this idea that they are actually thinking about how long it will take until they get rid of traditional edges on boards and have only magna traction. i plan on demoing it this year, and most likely will be buying a board with it next year.

and for you skiers, you'll definetely be excited with what lib has to offer next year....

Yeah, just like the thing with the baltimore toe strap and the capstrap. I heard somewhere that they both came up with the idea at the same time, and agreed to share the patent- You know that burton put out some money for that. I think it was technine's idea. What about the skiers- Is lib going to start making skis or something with the magne traction?

I think it was technine's idea. What about the skiers- Is lib going to start making skis or something with the magne traction?

yeah it was technines idea, and burton ended up buying it out of them so they could claim it as theirs, although technine still makes their bindings with a capstrap. and yeah lib will be making skis next year with the magna traction, the rep had one of them with him, twin tip of course

Uhhh, Burton's been making boards with "Magna-Traction" for a few years now. If anything, it's LibTech that's ripping off Burton. If you really think that Burton is comprised of a "bunch of rich assholes who steal tech," you're a moron. Burton has developed more snowboard technology by themselves than the rest of the industry combined.

I think it's absolutely hilarious that Mervin Mfg. has been screaming "DON'T BUY SNOWBOARDS FROM SKI COMPANIES" for the last 15 years. Now they're doing the exact same thing that ski companies have been doing.

Yeah, just like the thing with the baltimore toe strap and the capstrap. I heard somewhere that they both came up with the idea at the same time, and agreed to share the patent- You know that burton put out some money for that. I think it was technine's idea.

yeah it was technines idea, and burton ended up buying it out of them so they could claim it as theirs, although technine still makes their bindings with a capstrap.

You're both wrong. Both companies developed their own capstraps independently from each other. Nobody stole any tech. Rumor has it that MFM spearheaded the Technine capstrap, while Burton capstraps were developed from rudimentary hockey chin straps at Mt. Hood. Both (TN MFM and Burton Mission OLS and Greed) were unveiled at the 2003 SIA tradeshow, and Burton and Technine are now working together to get a collective patent on the technology. Burton will own the patent once it clears, but both companies will own exclusive rights to produce "cap straps" (or licence the technology to other binding companies, in Burton's case).

Please stop shitting on Burton because you don't like how sucessful they've become.

You're both wrong. Both companies developed their own capstraps independently from each other. Nobody stole any tech. Rumor has it that MFM spearheaded the Technine capstrap,

I heard it came from Justin Hebbel (hence the name "baltimore", where he's from), MFM just adopted it .

Uhhh, Burton's been making boards with "Magna-Traction" for a few years now. If anything, it's LibTech that's ripping off Burton.

:confused I must have missed that one, which models have this?

I would have thought they would have jumped all over Lib Tech for infringement if this were true.

I think with the new wave of freestylers, LT making ski's will be a huge success for them.

:confused I must have missed that one, which models have this?

I would have thought they would have jumped all over Lib Tech for infringement if this were true.

I think with the new wave of freestylers, LT making ski's will be a huge success for them.

the vapor, t6, custom x, baron es, feelgood es, idiom, and shag.

Edited by skitzo

the vapor, t6, custom x, baron es, feelgood es, idiom, and shag.

I guess thats the "pressure distribution edge", the idea (as explained on their website) is somewhat different to the lib-tech idea, though it has enough similarity to allow Burton to play "me too".

I dunno why people feel the need to criticise Burton generally for being successful, it's not like they've sold out and started making ski's or anything... <_<

I heard it came from Justin Hebbel (hence the name "baltimore", where he's from), MFM just adopted it .

Riders have been using their toe straps as "cap straps" for years before either Burton or Technine started developing the technology. Hebbel may have been riding his toe straps lower, and MFM noticed. MFM is widely regarded as the person to bring the idea of a specfic "cap strap" to Technine R&D.

I guess thats the "pressure distribution edge", the idea (as explained on their website) is somewhat different to the lib-tech idea, though it has enough similarity to allow Burton to play "me too".

I dunno why people feel the need to criticise Burton generally for being successful, it's not like they've sold out and started making ski's or anything... <_<

seems like exactly the same idea with different numbers and sizes of serrations.

Riders have been using their toe straps as "cap straps" for years before either Burton or Technine started developing the technology. Hebbel may have been riding his toe straps lower, and MFM noticed. MFM is widely regarded as the person to bring the idea of a specfic "cap strap" to Technine R&D.

mfm has been keeping technine afloat. yes, its an overstatement, but you know what im getting at.

im not ragging on burton for being successful, its just that it is true that they steal ideas because they have money. another example is palmer's honeycomb. palmer was the first to invent the honeycomb core and has been doing it for quite a few years and burtom comes along with the t6 and claims that they invented it, which is not one bit true. and dont be ragging on mervin either. at least their boards are hand made in the usa by snowboarders, not by some 10 year old asian in indonesia getting paid 20 cents an hour to run a factory machine.

and its not just me, talk to just about anyone in retail who does not deal with burton and they'll give you tons of reasons why they dont. talk to any rep from any other company as well, and they will most likely all not have much good things to say about burton. props to jake for pushing the sport and all, but now it seems its more about the money to them than the riders. their line is well overpriced, their vapor goes for $900 while other companys have boards out with the same exact technology, if not better, for around $600

and my bad for going on a rant about burton, thats just what i think about them. i believe they are wayyyy overrated

oh yeah lib tech got their idea for the magna traction when one of their reps was eating crinkle cut french fries

Edited by NITRO_rider

im not ragging on burton for being successful, its just that it is true that they steal ideas because they have money. another example is palmer's honeycomb. palmer was the first to invent the honeycomb core and has been doing it for quite a few years and burtom comes along with the t6 and claims that they invented it, which is not one bit true. and dont be ragging on mervin either. at least their boards are hand made in the usa by snowboarders, not by some 10 year old asian in indonesia getting paid 20 cents an hour to run a factory machine.

and its not just me, talk to just about anyone in retail who does not deal with burton and they'll give you tons of reasons why they dont. talk to any rep from any other company as well, and they will most likely all not have much good things to say about burton. props to jake for pushing the sport and all, but now it seems its more about the money to them than the riders. their line is well overpriced, their vapor goes for $900 while other companys have boards out with the same exact technology, if not better, for around $600

and my bad for going on a rant about burton, thats just what i think about them. i believe they are wayyyy overrated

oh yeah lib tech got their idea for the magna traction when one of their reps was eating crinkle cut french fries

burton definitely invented aluminum honeycomb cores. its rather lame.

mervin produces low end product in china.

burton boards are pressed in vermont, canada, and austria. i believe they too produce low end product in china. burton outwear is produced in asia, but whos isnt?

vapor is definitely overpriced. period.

also, i have heard that crinkle fry story and it may be true. however, it was a board designer not a rep.

Edited by skitzo