JF 12-14

larrytbull

This thread touches on a lot of points. Time for a brain dump.

Anybody can go fast. Obviously I can ski fast, I'm the best skier on the mountain. I totally get that riding fast is exciting, and it's definitely an adrenaline rush when you can cleanly rip a difficult line fast and feel comfortable and in control while looking like a badass. Case in point, Cody Townsend in AK.

I don't really understand the tripod maneuver, it seems like you're using your hands as a crutch. I've seen people do it before, but from a completely novice snowboarder's aesthetic perspective, it looks goofy. If it helps build core skills, then cool, I get it I guess, but it seems like just trying to figure out how to actually butter and press would be more beneficial.

Ultimately what it comes down to is, do whatever allows you to have the most fun on snow. Isn't that why we all do this crap? Some people get off on skiing fast and getting in as many runs as possible. Some people take things slower and focus on technique and skill building. Some people think ice is nice, some people prefer soft spring conditions. If you really want to become a better rider though, you've gotta embrace it all to become well rounded.

This thread touches on a lot of points. Time for a brain dump.

I don't really understand the tripod maneuver, it seems like you're using your hands as a crutch. I've seen people do it before, but from a completely novice snowboarder's aesthetic perspective, it looks goofy. If it helps build core skills, then cool, I get it I guess, but it seems like just trying to figure out how to actually butter and press would be more beneficial.

Ultimately what it comes down to is, do whatever allows you to have the most fun on snow. Isn't that why we all do this crap? Some people get off on skiing fast and getting in as many runs as possible. Some people take things slower and focus on technique and skill building. Some people think ice is nice, some people prefer soft spring conditions. If you really want to become a better rider though, you've gotta embrace it all to become well rounded.

To the first part,

The trick is not so much about the hands as it is to be able to get the board on either tail or nose to be able to touch the snow as you are riding, this takes an extreme level of balance and control to do in motion.  this is not just a standing still butter to a tripod, this is riding, as you are riding, get the nose /tail press going while in motion and keeping the snowboard straight enough to be able to then get back up on it while still moving .  it is the starting point for a lot of ground tricks and a core technique developer

To the second part.

Amen,

The more techniques you can master, the better rider you will be. Able to adapt to the many different terrain options on the mountain.  There are alot of people out thier enjoying themselves each in their own way, and by being confident in your abilities, and in control.  you are safer, and the other riders are also safer as you won't go careened uncontrollably into them

To the first part,

The trick is not so much about the hands as it is to be able to get the board on either tail or nose to be able to touch the snow as you are riding, this takes an extreme level of balance and control to do in motion. this is not just a standing still butter to a tripod, this is riding, as you are riding, get the nose /tail press going while in motion and keeping the snowboard straight enough to be able to then get back up on it while still moving . it is the starting point for a lot of ground tricks and a core technique developer

Yeah I kinda figured that was the case, but what makes this better for developing that skill that being able to nose butter and then ride in a switch nose press at cruising speed? Same thing minus the crutch, no? Not knocking it, I do all sorts of dumb crap on my skis that's similar to this. I'm just genuinely curious.

Dudes just trying to say he had a good day at JF with his son and ass clown shits all over him, its a wonder new posters dont make it longer than 3 weeks.... Wow just wow... SMH... Rack it

Your cuddie buddy Toast was the one who was first questioning the tripods...

And LarryBird has been posting for three months.

Yeah I kinda figured that was the case, but what makes this better for developing that skill that being able to nose butter and then ride in a switch nose press at cruising speed? Same thing minus the crutch, no? Not knocking it, I do all sorts of dumb crap on my skis that's similar to this. I'm just genuinely curious.

It isn't so much a crutch as its just different a different trick.  Getting into and out of them are similar but tripods are all about extending your legs and getting onto the tip of the board while nose presses are about finding and holding your balance against the flex of the board.

Personally I like nose presses better but both are a lot fun....especially at speed in powder. 

• Like 1

Dudes just trying to say he had a good day at JF with his son and ass clown shits all over him, its a wonder new posters dont make it longer than 3 weeks.... Wow just wow... SMH... Rack it 

It's all good.  I was just educating the speedsters on two snowboards, that there is more depth to sliding on snow pointing down  the fall line as  long as you can .  anyone can do that.  It takes more skill to be able to truly control the stick they are riding ;( :downhill:

• Like 1

It's all good. I was just educating the speedsters on two snowboards, that there is more depth to sliding on snow pointing down the fall line as long as you can . anyone can do that. It takes more skill to be able to truly control the stick they are riding ;( :downhill:

Must be talking about GrilledSteeze [emoji106]

• Like 1

Wow that is pure gold plain and simple anyway you slice it or dice it. Shit back in the 80s there was always that pesky paperboy going after you for $2. But I was a paperboy in the 90s so with inflation I was going after about tree fiddy. Back then all you needed were some fancy looking swim goggles and a sweater with evergreen trees and you were ready to tackle the mountain. Fueled on a

Fluffernutter sangwich, some Funyans and some YooHoo, you were ready to try out for the schools ski team even though some dude named Chadwick was in charge of your fate based on his timing skills. Sure the neighbor had a hot foreign exchange student..no big deal and there were often Asian people at red lights taunting you over a portable

Loudspeaker but seriously guys and gals..the 80s were a pretty fun time..I'd sum it up with one word....BASIC..

Wow that is pure gold plain and simple anyway you slice it or dice it. Shit back in the 80s there was always that pesky paperboy going after you for $2. But I was a paperboy in the 90s so with inflation I was going after about tree fiddy. Back then all you needed were some fancy looking swim goggles and a sweater with evergreen trees and you were ready to tackle the mountain. Fueled on a

Fluffernutter sangwich, some Funyans and some YooHoo, you were ready to try out for the schools ski team even though some dude named Chadwick was in charge of your fate based on his timing skills. Sure the neighbor had a hot foreign exchange student..no big deal and there were often Asian people at red lights taunting you over a portable

Loudspeaker but seriously guys and gals..the 80s were a pretty fun time..I'd sum it up with one word....BASIC..

What just happened here?

• Like 2