Early Season Rail Jam

DHarrisburg

It was great from 5:00 to 10:00 so 5 hours of skiing the set up had a little mess up with getting speed for the huge lip but I'm sure next year Joe will fix it. DHarrisburg was the 1st snowboarder to do it. It got better once he left and tom was cleaning 270s on and evan was tring 450s on but by the end of the jam I finaly made it to the end and started doing 270s off. I was so ligth that I couldn't make it to the end and I got 25 mins of footy.

Edited by steezemachine

I will.. The in-run material used wasn't fast enough to build enough speed to slide the rail initially. DHarrisburg PASR TEAM REPRESENT was the first person to clean the rail on his second run, his board slid very slowly right to the end of the rail and stopped. :rock

They threw ice shavings up on the ramp, the skiers then were able to get enough speed to get to the end of the rail but the boarders had a difficult time all afternoon and evening.

I think the guys that put this together learned alot about what to do, as far as improving on the setup next time. What they had was good, I am betting that if they do a parking lot scenario again, it will be better, alot better.

EDIT: Here are some suggestions: It looks like a second section could be built and added easy enough to the top of the box truck. Then the tranny could have been lengthed a bit. Ice, crushed ice was what was used, Rink shavings seem to work so much better for an in run - steezemachine will have to confirm that. The rail it self was throwing everyone off at the same point, I believe that it was slightly out of level or twisted at that point.

Edited by Papasteeze

Papasteeze hit most of the points. The setup wasn't bad, but it needed work. The jump was a "skier" jump, a little too much pop for what I like. It was also slightly higher than the rail, which I can't stand. The rail was awesome, but they should have stuck a cinderblock or two under the front of it so you'd carry your speed a little better on the rail. On my last hit I wanted to start spinning onto the rail, so I was going to have two kids slingshot me. I grab their hands, then they both ask me "ok so wait what do you want us to do." :rolleyes: Needless to say they didn't do too well in the slingshot department.

A big part of the reason I left was the amount of kids there. After an hour of waiting in line I got to hit the rail three times. Also, there was a handfull of kids who I guess thought they were more important than everyone else, and kept snaking the shit out of everyong legitimately waiting in line.

Another reason I left was the lack of prizes. I assumed there was going to be a cash prize, due to the $10 entry fee that I heard about. When nobody took my money after registration, I knew there most likely wouldn't be anything to push myself for.

All in all, it could have been a fun event, but the little things ruined it for me. Mabye next year :/

When do you leave to go back west?  Any chance you can be here for the BC and RT jams at the end of October?

32467[/snapback]

Mammoth is scheduled to open November 10th, and I have to be there for that, but I'm toying with the idea of spending a week in the Salt Lake area before that, so probably either last week of October or a few days after Halloween.

it wasnt just a skeirs jump. it was built great for boarders too. not every rail can be ride on (like last years october jam), that wouldnt be fair to skiers. so having a nice poppy jump is fair to everyone

32477[/snapback]

Hahahahahaha, I don't want a ride on rail, I want a mellow jump with a foot/foot and a half ollie to rail.

Mammoth is scheduled to open November 10th, and I have to be there for that, but I'm toying with the idea of spending a week in the Salt Lake area before that, so probably either last week of October or a few days after Halloween.

32471[/snapback]

Cool - here are 2 other rail jams (check the october calendar) one is at Roundtop the other at Bear Creek - Hopefully you can be there!!

Here's two photos I've got;

gallery_76_9_30559.jpg

gallery_76_9_33009.jpg

This is where I stopped dead on the rail thanks to having absolutely no speed. I hopped to the landing from here.

Edit: also, a funny part of the rail jam was watching all the kooks who showed up in full winter gear. I'm pretty sure I was the only guy wearing jeans.

Edited by DHarrisburg

the reason that the take-off was right up to the rail was for liability reasons...our biggest fight/problem setting up that whole jam was how to make sure that we would be covered by roundtop's insurance policy and how to make it less likely to get hurt... i do understand though everything people said/complained about during the jam... all in all, i thought it was fun, but there are most def. things that needed to be worked out.. 1. for a "portable" rail jam set-up, i felt after the jam that 20ft in lenght may have been too much.. maybe drop it to like 18ft instead, 2. the original plan was to change the pitch of the rail so that there was a downward pitch on it, but we simply ran out of time to do the metal work on the rail. 3. i also felt that 39 inches was too high for that set up.. with the dimensions of the drop in, speed, everything else involved, i would have liked to drop it a little lower.. all things cosidered though, i felt it went off well, hell we got mad props from alot of people.. but take in mind, this was the first time we used this set-up so i didn't expect everything to be perfect.. also, there were plans to have more vendors there, but two of them work at the beach and labor day weekend is their last big weekend to make money, and other vendors were at a trade show... i decided to wave the $10 fee because it was a trail deal for this setup and i felt it would have been unfair to charge people and have it not go exactly perfect..

i do want to thank everyone for coming out and supporting the whole thing, and giving all their opinions.. i apoligize if it wasn't up to par for everyone, but again, thank you

• 2 weeks later...