TR: 12/21/16 Shutting 'er down

enjoralas

Home from a sweet evening session on the snow. Arrived kinda late, about 7:30, and as we're unloading in the upper lot Pops realizes he left his pass at home. That necessitates a stand in line at the ticket window where they look him up and give him a comp for the evening. With the delay we're on the snow just before 8pm.

Start off with a run down Burma Road, and my form must have been shite because the legs were burning good by the bottom. I was worried it wasn't gonna be a good night but didn't really have much burn after that. Took it all the way down to the valley and caught a ride to the apex on the quad.

Hit up Lazy after that and split with Pops at the 180 so J could run down Falls to the quad, he finished out Lazy and met me down by the quad. Took it back up and hit Lazy again, this time Pops decided he was game for his first shot down Falls. Made a couple tight turns at the top then pointed them downhill and ran it out down Homestretch.

Next up was a planned run out Crossover and down Burma but we bailed at the Vista lift and then did Vista into Burma. Nice fun run down Burma, didn't have a soul on the trail with us until about the last 100 yards.

On the ride up the Main Street chair Pops decided that the empty conditions were a good reason to give Main Street a go. That was the run of the night as conditions were pretty sweet with some nice soft snow on top of a hard but not ice pack surface. Skiers right especially had some good topcover, probably mostly from being pushed there.

It was also run of the night because it was my dad's first true black diamond run. He'd run only Nightmare and Widowmaker last year, and then Falls tonight. All fun, but for a true honest to gosh top to bottom black, it was the first one. He handled it well, probably won't be quick to jump on there with significant people but at least he knows it's in play for those slow evening sessions.

Rode back up the Main Street lift and decided to run down Clme Round to the Vista lift, then Vista to the lodge. On the Vista run I took the turn off Come Around uphill to hit the fresh blown snow coming off the uphill gun there. Oops. It was sticky as hell and I ate it hard. Hit that stuff and the skis stopped and I kept right on going. Popped out of the right ski and went about 50 feet on the left before laying down in a laughing heap. Walked back up to retrieve the ski and continued on to call it a night.

Fun, fun session. Pops makde hella nice progress. I set a new top speed ever at 46.8 (app based, probably not fully accurate.) Just a damn good time.

Might squeeze in another evening session Friday off the fam doesn't bail out to MD in the afternoon for holidays. Won't be able to ski otherwise until Monday.

Paradise looks nice but needs a final grooming. They were just leveling Challenge at the end of the session. Guns blazing on Upper Vista, Widowmaker, top of Switchback but not the bottom, Razor and Razors Edge and tubing. No love yet for NightWeaver.

• Like 2

Wow, that one really got away from me, lol. Sorry for the long post, folks.

TL:DR — fun couple hours. Dad skied some stuff he never tried before. I had a hilarious fall.

I like long reports cause then I have something to read. I've been slacking on my reports. I haven't even described the songs I rocked out to on the ride. Keep posting and way to get after it!!!

Ill be back tomorrow then Friday-Sunday I'm gonna be in Arlington Virginia then will ski every day I can between December 26 and January 23.