Camelback Weekend Super Stoke Thread

saltyant

8 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Saltyant what made you want to try skiing??

I've been biking forever and would always quit in the winter. After getting sick of sitting in the house every winter, I decided to get a job as a lift attendant at Eagle Rock. Once I saw how much fun skiing looked, I was determined to give it a try. One day after work, rentals lent me a pair of skis and boots for a few hours. I had to walk down the beginner hill the first few times, but once I started making it down without falling, I was hooked.

Edited by saltyant
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

How much longer did the drive home take. I feel your pain it took me 35 minutes to get to blue instead of 30 minutes due to a gaper delay on 22 and heavy traffic on 145. 

The roads were snow-covered from the Lehigh Valley exit all the way down to Fort Washington. I get stressed out driving in the snow next to tractor trailers.

3 minutes ago, saltyant said:

You guys don't know the hell I went through to get to and from Blue on Wednesday night, so I felt entitled to one minor "complaint".

Please.  I've driven over 2.5 hours to get to Blue on some days.  Leave earlier next time.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Some who complain that skiing is too expensive drop $40-$50 at the bar and $100 on tickets to the eagles game or concerts like nothing.  Did you know a one day lift ticket to Jackson hole is $130 and they're only open from 9am-4pm

Yep. As much as I joke around on here about money, I don't care about blowing a couple of thousand dollars on skiing per year. I just spent $120 on Smith earpods and bought a bunch of prepaid lift tickets. Winter is too short to not enjoy it.

Edited by saltyant

I've been biking forever and would always quit in the winter. After getting sick of sitting in the house every winter, I decided to get a job as a lift attendant at Eagle Rock. Once I saw how much fun skiing looked, I was determined to give it a try. One day after work, rentals lent me a pair of skis and boots for a few hours and I was hooked. I had to walk down the beginner hill the first few times, but once I started making it down without falling, I was hooked.

Have you ever taken a lesson?

1 minute ago, RootDKJ said:

Have you ever taken a lesson?

Nope, I'm stubborn and I take pride in having learned to ski by myself. I pick up some tips along the way from people I share lift rides with. I know I probably have a dozen of bad habits, but as long as I can get down any trail in NEPA I'm happy.

Yep. As much as I joke around on here about money, I don't care about blowing a couple of thousand dollars on skiing per year. I just spent $120 on Smith earpods and bought a bunch of prepaid lift tickets. Winter is too short to not enjoy it.

A couple of thousands?? What can you possibly spend so much on, if even new skis you're going to buy only in April and only deeply discounted. Do they do lap dances in that valley lodge? Is that why the upper one is for wankers?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, saltyant said:

When you come with us to Jackson hole you can room with atomic jeff to save a few bucks and pack food from the free breakfast in your pockets for a free lunch. 

• Thanks 1

Nope, I'm stubborn and I take pride in having learned to ski by myself. I pick up some tips along the way from people I share lift rides with. I know I probably have a dozen of bad habits, but as long as I can get down any trail in NEPA I'm happy.

I'm self taught too.  Took one lesson at Killington that I got for free.

• Like 1

Just now, eaf said:

A couple of thousands?? What can you possibly spend so much on, if even new skis you're going to buy only in April and only deeply discounted. Do they do lap dances in that valley lodge? Is that why the upper one is for wankers?

I spend about $7,000 per season on skiing..mainly on two trips out west per season(maybe three this season) and also blue season pass and random equipment even googles these days are $100-$150

• Like 1

1 minute ago, eaf said:

Do lap dancing but I've seen two grown men scissor dancing in the lower lot at Blue..

pack food from the free breakfast in your pockets for a free lunch. 

That's what I did at Killington. I ate the free breakfast at the hotel, then ate captains wafers for lunch, and then bought off the dollar menu at McDonalds for dinner. Sometimes I splurged and went to Taco Bell instead.

3 minutes ago, eaf said:

Probably overstating it. My yearly trip to Vermont usually exceeds $600 and then I go once a week at night to wherever's closest to where I'm working.

1 minute ago, saltyant said:

That's what I did at Killington. I ate the free breakfast at the hotel, then ate captains wafers for lunch, and then bought off the dollar menu at McDonalds for dinner. Sometimes I splurged and went to Taco Bell instead.

Yeah Taco Bell aint cheap 🌮 Especially if you're like me and like a good variety. 

1 minute ago, saltyant said:

Probably overstating it. My yearly trip to Vermont usually exceeds $600 and then I go once a week at night to wherever's closest to where I'm working.

Easily $2,000 for you but if you weren't spending it on skiing you'd probably spend it on hookers and blow I know I would. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I can't quite place you in the ski world. Sometimes you talk like a beginner, and now suddenly there are annual Vermont trips in the picture.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, eaf said:

I can't quite place you in the ski world. Sometimes you talk like a beginner, and now suddenly there are annual Vermont trips in the picture.

He's not a beginner he caught the skiing bug and is now going all in.  Salty is at the stage of skiing where he improves every visit still which honestly is a very exciting stage to be at. And beginners and low intermediates go to Vermont they want longer runs and variety just like everybody else.  I don't even ski in Vermont anymore although I wanna get back to Stowe sometime I skied there 4 seasons in college and a bunch of trips in my teens and 20s

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, eaf said:

Sometimes you talk like a beginner, and now suddenly there are annual Vermont trips in the picture.

I went to Killington last year and it was ok. Just kidding, it was amazing. I only fell once on Great Northern... no idea how it happened. Skiied the majority of blue squares with no problem. This year I'm going to Stowe and will try some diamonds.

Beginners haven't already been out 5 times 

Not necessarily. Beginners means that they're only starting. That's not mutually exclusive with them taking every opportunity at it.

Anyway, I was right, the trips to Vermont are only to become annual.