Ski Denton: "Steepest in the East"???

AlpineZone

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, Sib, this isn't bashing and we should be more polite while being called a gun carrying potential murderers:

1>

"The scary part about Ski Denton, which I shall now refer to as The Extreme Skiing Capital of the East, is that Avalanche, with it's 66 degree pitch, isn't even the most difficult trail there. No, my friends, that title belongs to none other than Bear Run. Why, you might ask? I tell you. Forget single fall lines. I don't even want to hear about your puny, pathetic double fall lines. This trail sports a TRIPLE FALL LINE!!! That's right, it goes downhill, slopes a little to the right, and then actually bursts through the space time continuum such that by the time you reach the bottom, you're only starting again at the top!!

Looks like The Extreme Skiing Capital of the East went to the wrong department from the local community college when they were recruiting their ace marketing guru. Instead of the the Marketing department, they took a wrong turn into Creative Writing. This stuff is priceless."

2>

"About the most exciting thing about the one time I skied PA (Roundtop) was seeing Three Mile Island from the lift.

Almost as scenic as Mount Airy Lodge in the Poconos - Blecchh!"

3>

"All those guys in the woods of PA (skiers included) carry guns, dude ! They'll be hiding in the woods near Paradise, and Goat, and The Black Hole, etc., etc., just a waitin' to pick us off one by one. I'm moving to South America..."

33557[/snapback]

These comments made by my fellow Alpinezoners are stupid and naive. No one with a clue believes any of their statements are true. While I know they were just trying to be funny not intending to be taken seriously they failed to understand that other people read them and might be offended.

Cheers

:lol

Okay, Sib, this isn't bashing and we should be more polite while being called a gun carrying potential murderers:

1>

"The scary part about Ski Denton, which I shall now refer to as The Extreme Skiing Capital of the East, is that Avalanche, with it's 66 degree pitch, isn't even the most difficult trail there. No, my friends, that title belongs to none other than Bear Run. Why, you might ask? I tell you. Forget single fall lines. I don't even want to hear about your puny, pathetic double fall lines. This trail sports a TRIPLE FALL LINE!!! That's right, it goes downhill, slopes a little to the right, and then actually bursts through the space time continuum such that by the time you reach the bottom, you're only starting again at the top!!

Looks like The Extreme Skiing Capital of the East went to the wrong department from the local community college when they were recruiting their ace marketing guru. Instead of the the Marketing department, they took a wrong turn into Creative Writing. This stuff is priceless."

2>

"About the most exciting thing about the one time I skied PA (Roundtop) was seeing Three Mile Island from the lift.

Almost as scenic as Mount Airy Lodge in the Poconos - Blecchh!"

3>

"All those guys in the woods of PA (skiers included) carry guns, dude ! They'll be hiding in the woods near Paradise, and Goat, and The Black Hole, etc., etc., just a waitin' to pick us off one by one. I'm moving to South America..."

33557[/snapback]

Wow. Do you take everything so literally? The guys were just kidding around. Sorry you were so offended by this. FWIW, 5% of AZ members ski in PA regularly and 4% live there. I think you making a bigger deal out of this than it is.

BTW, a lot of you are using Killington/Bear Mountain as the gauge for the steepest or most challenging terrain in the Northeast. There are many other NE mountains with more difficult terrain than the mighty K-mart...

So your MB's method of deciding that Denton is full of sh*t is to simply post that it is, without ANY fact? That's your way of being keeping them honest? Sounds pretty lame to me.

33553[/snapback]

And this is the precisely why I started this thread here. I consider you guys the experts in regards to PA ski areas...

Ski999 - Please stop escalating the harsh negative pointless comebacks to new members. Posting comments from other boards here for what appears to try and start another flame war are very tiring. 

33565[/snapback]

I was explaining to Sib and the other members why their comments were indeed bashing. I put it into actual context as to what they were really saying. It is THEIR words.

They came here after trashing PA skiers/boarders. Do I care a lot? No. But this is an MB and a place to express opinions.

Someone calls you a gun-toting hillbilly, then asked for a favor.

Papa, go be tired if that's how you feel. Do you want me to stop posting my opinions? Should I run them past you first? Are only nice opinions allowed?

Flame war? I never once posted on their board. They refered to us in a very derogatory manner, then came here for information so they could trash Denton. Let them work those issues out with Denton themselves, I say.

Now, Papa, go ahead and bend over...show us how it's done. :D

Wow. Do you take everything so literally? The guys were just kidding around. Sorry you were so offended by this. FWIW, 5% of AZ members ski in PA regularly and 4% live there. I think you making a bigger deal out of this than it is.

BTW, a lot of you are using Killington/Bear Mountain as the gauge for the steepest or most challenging terrain in the Northeast. There are many other NE mountains with more difficult terrain than the mighty K-mart...

33570[/snapback]

sugarbush has trails just as challenging...

They were doing all this over on their board, and it wasn't at a level I would call vicious personally. I also read all their comments and saw they came to us as the experts.

I myself wondered what the heck a triple fall line was. Let's see, one direction is down, the second fall line is when it's a tilted down, what the heck is the "third" fall line? Inverted? Your ski bases are facing the sky? Just because Denton is in PA doesn't mean we can't question their claims. That trail that is being discussed was their race trail the year that Siblet raced there and I agree the thing is a booger, especially to race SL on, but a TRIPLE fall line? Along thing I can think they mean is one time it tilts right, the next point it tilts left, which still wouldn't be a triple, just one double followed by a different double.

They were doing all this over on their board, and it wasn't at a level I would call vicious personally.  I also read all their comments and saw they came to us as the experts. 

I myself wondered what the heck a triple fall line was.  Let's see, one direction is down, the second fall line is when it's a tilted down, what the heck is the "third" fall line?  Inverted?  Your ski bases are facing the sky?  Just because Denton is in PA doesn't mean we can't question their claims.  That trail that is being discussed was their race trail the year that Siblet raced there and I agree the thing is a booger, especially to race SL on, but a TRIPLE fall line?  Along thing I can think they mean is one time it tilts right, the next point it tilts left, which still wouldn't be a triple, just one double followed by a different double.

33576[/snapback]

That poster was joking...geez. Come on guys, don't take everything so literally. You guys must just be jonesing to make some turns.

Tough to do I guess when your ski season is only six weeks long... :nana

:lol A joke. Just kiddding... :woot Get it? Oh....I give up... :rolleyes:

That poster was joking...geez. Come on guys, don't take everything so literally. You guys must just be jonesing to make some turns.

Tough to do I guess when your ski season is only six weeks long... :nana

:lol A joke. Just kiddding... :woot  Get it? Oh....I give up... :rolleyes:

33578[/snapback]

Okay. We're hillbillies and you're dorks. Everyone happy? ;)

Works for me... :cheers:

33580[/snapback]

By the way, AlpineZone, let JimG. know "thanks, but no thanks for the Hunter tour". I worked there back when Bryan S. was the bump coach and had my fill of Hunter weekenders to last a lifetime.

Is suggesting I get laid considered escalating it? Classy.

Assuming DMC is the Doug I used to know (and respect), then I've already skied with some of you guys. Nothing special. :)

Yeah, well, we're all just a bunch of trash-talking crappy skiers with huge chips on their shoulder about "local" skiing, remember? Here's a perfect example:

http://forums.alpinezone.com/viewtopic.php?t=5568

Oh yeah, and don't forget that I'm an "*sswipe". We should all really learn to apply your level of class to our posts... <_<

Edited by AlpineZone

By the way, AlpineZone, let JimG. know "thanks, but no thanks for the Hunter tour". I worked there back when Bryan S. was the bump coach and had my fill of Hunter weekenders to last a lifetime.

Assuming DMC is the Doug I used to know (and respect), then I've already skied with some of you guys. Nothing special. :)

33581[/snapback]

Hey, I don't care where we ski, I even mentioned for you to choose. And I'm not interested in figuring out who skis better either...just thought it would be nice to check out a new ski area and learn from someone who's a local.

Yes, DMC is Doug and you probably have skied with me before because I used to be a coach on staff at Hunter. Sounds like you got turned off to Hunter when the Plattners got tossed and Hunter took over the ski school. Poorly handled, very messy.

So do you want to hook up and ski some and show me around a PA area or two? Been to Elk and thought it was a cool place.

Yeah, well, we're all just a bunch of trash-talking crappy skiers with huge chips on their shoulder about "local" skiing, remember? Here's a perfect example:

http://forums.alpinezone.com/viewtopic.php?t=5568

Oh yeah, and don't forget that I'm an "*sswipe". I should really learn to apply your level of class to my posts... <_<

33585[/snapback]

Firstly, I'm not a moderator. Secondly, I'm the last person to claim to be classy. Someone acts like an *sswipe, then I'll call them an *sswipe.

Imagine a tiny little ski area that faces bankruptcy on a yearly basis. Insurance payments have eaten all the profits and now have taken them into the red for the last three seasons. A ski area that had gotten USSA PA Cup races, but then lost them.

Thank GOD for MB's like your's to beat them down. Where would skiers be without honest watchdogs like you to refute their claims and mock their marketing department (uh, one guy that has three other jobs)?

" I standa by my statement that the marketing people at Ski Denton are clearly hacks."

Good for you. You are right and I'm wrong. Denton is headed for the PA version of NELSAP and screw 'em, right?. Heck, the kids in that area don't need Denton when they can just drive to friendly Hunter.

Keep up the great work!

Edited by ski999

Hey, I don't care where we ski, I even mentioned for you to choose. And I'm not interested in figuring out who skis better either...just thought it would be nice to check out a new ski area and learn from someone who's a local.

Yes, DMC is Doug and you probably have skied with me before because I used to be a coach on staff at Hunter. Sounds like you got turned off to Hunter when the Plattners got tossed and Hunter took over the ski school. Poorly handled, very messy.

So do you want to hook up and ski some and show me around a PA area or two? Been to Elk and thought it was a cool place.

33586[/snapback]

Ha, funny that people only admit to skiing Elk. I bet I saw your car parked in the shadows of the back lot at Shawnee.

Peace.

Have any of those guys skied Corbet's Collier? Come trash talk after you have, guys. Otherwise, get over yourselves.

ohh - I have - I have!!! But the entrance was a lot easier then the pic on AZ - only 6 foot to snow

So I know you??? Cool... drop me a line...

After I moved up to Hunter fulltime - I stopped dissing ski areas...

If they say they got it... Then who am i to say they don't...

Every ski area has something that somebody likes or else they wouldnt be in business... Generally I find people that diss ski areas do it to sound big and badass or something... But the reality of it - is that the towns that surround ski areas are what takes a beating when skier visits drop... And now I live in a ski town.. I don't want people dissing Hunter... So I aint gonna diss someone else...

It's tough for me to diss PA... I became a skier at Big Boulder... Had some great times at Camelback(Actually have a freind whos a ranger there)...

Have had some great times tooling around Shawnee.. When I first started snowboarding - it was a place I liked to go...

PA - rocks... Lots of ski areas... Cool people... Mellow vibe...

Ha, funny that people only admit to skiing Elk. I bet I saw your car parked in the shadows of the back lot at Shawnee.

Peace.

33588[/snapback]

Ah, no.

Elk is the only place in PA I've ever skied. Took my Level II exam there years ago.

Is the "people only admitting to skiing Elk" an inside PA skiing joke or something?

How long ago... ??

I'm much better now!!  :D

33590[/snapback]

I was at Hunter in the late 80's, then again just for a year in '98 or '99. Bryan (Schafroth?) seemed to know you pretty well...I just happen to remember that you skied the bumps better than most of his team. Bryan was the guy to hang with. Girls thought he was the greatest looking guy on the planet and swarmed around him...it was a place to catch his discards.

Firstly, I'm not a moderator. Secondly, I'm the last person to claim to be classy. Someone acts like an *sswipe, then I'll call them an *sswipe.

Imagine a tiny little ski area that faces bankruptcy on a yearly basis. Insurance payments have eaten all the profits and now have taken them into the red for the last three seasons. A ski area that had gotten USSA PA Cup races, but then lost them.

Thank GOD for MB's like your's to beat them down. Where would skiers be without honest watchdogs like you to refute their claims and mock their marketing department (uh, one guy that has three other jobs)?

Good for you. You are right and I'm wrong. Denton is headed for the PA version of NELSAP and screw 'em, right?. Heck, the kids in that area don't need Denton when they can just drive to friendly Hunter.

Keep up the great work!

33587[/snapback]

Did you even read that thread?

As far as Denton goes, maybe they should update their Website to just include some useful information versus the marketing hype. I wish them luck. In fact, I set up their profile:

http://skiing.alpinezone.com/resorts/detai...m?resort=denton

Since AZ is the #3 result for "ski pennsylvania" on Google, hopefully this will give them some more exposure. If anyone has a photo or a narrative they'd like to contribute to Denton's profile, feel free to contact me.

I was at Hunter in the late 80's, then again just for a year in '98 or '99. Bryan (Schafroth?) seemed to know you pretty well...I just happen to remember that you skied the bumps better than most of his team. Bryan was the guy to hang with. Girls thought he was the greatest looking guy on the planet and swarmed around him...it was a place to catch his discards.

33592[/snapback]

You got the wrong guy... Maybe your thinking of Doug S.... I'm Doug C...

I was never on a team... In the late 80's early 90's I was just another tiedye wearing bump slammer...

Ah, no.

Elk is the only place in PA I've ever skied. Took my Level II exam there years ago.

Is the "people only admitting to skiing Elk" an inside PA skiing joke or something?

33591[/snapback]

Yes, it's just a joke. Elk somehow became acceptable to admit to having skied by VTers. Elk has a rep for it's great snowmaking, grooming, and natural snow. They've done a great job marketing to Ski Mag readers, for sure.

You guys should look into these claims. ;)

Yes, it's just a joke. Elk somehow became acceptable to admit to having skied by VTers. Elk has a rep for it's great snowmaking, grooming, and natural snow. They've done a great job marketing to Ski Mag readers, for sure.

33595[/snapback]

I like Elk... It's somehow different from the other areas in PA...

Only was there a couple times but seem to remember having a good time...

You got the wrong guy...  Maybe your thinking of  Doug S....  I'm Doug C...

I was never on a team...  In the late 80's early 90's I was just another tiedye wearing bump slammer...

33594[/snapback]

Ha, no you weren't on his team---just better in the bumps than most of his kids. Jeez, my memory sucks. Didn't you go on to become some musical genius with a cult following?

33595[/snapback]

Well, it is a fun place to ski and fairly challenging. Please don't take offense, but it seems like a long drive for a Vermonter to take to get some skiing in though.

I went there because that's where the exam was, I don't really look to ski rags for advice on anything, especially equipment or resorts. I don't know the area that well but it seemed kind of remote so I'm surprised that they get big marketing play in SKI where skiing seems to be the last factor rated.

Since I've been there, I have my own image of the place and it was positive. Nuff said.