Ski Denton: "Steepest in the East"???

AlpineZone

Yes, indeed. For its entire 60 feet of vert... ;)

Sticks and stones will....oh, nevermind.  :rolleyes:

34527[/snapback]

Well, don't you guys FEEL like a bunch of *sswipes after calling for the guy's head at the Denton marketing "department"? I seem to remember you guys feeling it was your mission to uncover these things.

Are you really a Jiminy Peak local? Maybe you'd like to let us flatlanders here in PA know the monster vertical rise and vast acreage at Jiminy...

Hey, I saw an ad for a tiny little New Hampshire ski shop that claims to have the best prices in New England. Maybe you guys should go confirm he's a liar, too, and maybe get the bastard closed down.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boy Greg, you really like to stir the pot. All three of the PA trails listed drop at least 500 vertical. I'd venture to say they all drop about 600 vertical. I know it's still small by VT standards but still plenty to make you pay attention.

Now behave yourself and stop riling up the natives.

34533[/snapback]

I was joking. Notice the ;)

Well, don't you guys FEEL like a bunch of *sswipes after calling for the guy's head at the Denton marketing "department"? I seem to remember you guys feeling it was your mission to uncover these things.

Are you really a Jiminy Peak local? Maybe you'd like to let us flatlanders here in PA know the monster vertical rise and vast acreage at Jiminy...

Hey, I saw an ad for a tiny little New Hampshire ski shop that claims to have the best prices in New England. Maybe you guys should go confirm he's a liar, too, and maybe get the bastard closed down.

34564[/snapback]

Boy, you're wound up pretty tight, eh? Again, I was just kidding.

I wouldn't call myself a Jiminy local. It's about a 1:45 drive, but I ski there probably a half dozen or more times each season. The vertical is 1,150. Nice steep pitch overall though. Some of the steeper runs are pretty boring though as they're straight runs right down the fall line. You can rack up the vertical there though, especially on weekdays, by riding the six-pack which gets you back to the summit in 5 minutes. It's kind of a resorty mountain, but they do have a good lift system, decent pitch, and excellent snowmaking. Season's from mid-November until early April. I would say it's tied with Berkshire East as the best in the Berkshires. Jiminy gets the title for early season and light snow season with their consistent snowmaking, while the Beast is best after a dump - the best natural skiing terrain in Southern New England by far.

Edited by AlpineZone

I was joking. Notice the ;)

Boy, you're wound up pretty tight, eh? Again, I was just kidding.

You just seem to find it hard to post without also adding a sh*tty little remark.

Oh, and I saw a brochure from a little place called Alpine Mountain down here that claims to have some of the "best children's instructors". You want their web address to investigate? I mean, since that's what you do...

You just seem to find it hard to post without also adding a sh*tty little remark.

Oh, and I saw a brochure from a little place called Alpine Mountain down here that claims to have some of the "best children's instructors". You want their web address to investigate? I mean, since that's what you do...

34617[/snapback]

Wow. You're a real happy guy, aren't you? I suspect you're a real pleasure to ski with... :banghead And for the record, I never trashed Denton myself so lighten up and stop attacking me.

a little place called Alpine Mountain down here that claims to have some of the "best children's instructors".

34617[/snapback]

I remember Shawnee as having the rep for childrens programs 10 years ago. My kids first lessons were from there. Interesting..

I really wish there were pictures of the drop...

It seems wierd that there aren't...

Not implying anything - but you'd think the thing they are known for would be a little more visible...

Since we are on the topic of childrens programs.  Who do you (the parents) recommend for kids instruction?  If any at all.

34623[/snapback]

Blue mountain's explorers program was excellent for my son last year (he was 4 and new to skis). They had him up to confidently skiing blues and having done one of the shorter blacks ("raceway" I think) by the end of the season.

My wife took him up there for afternoon lessons during the week and it was like private lessons, usually only 2 of them there with lots of instructors.

We only put him into CB once, and he enjoyed it but the experience for us was less good, no end of day report ("sorry we ran out"), no real input on next steps etc, it just seemed like daycare for Mom & Pop Skiers.

My daughter had 2 childrens group lessons on her board at CB and hated it, we gave her one private lesson with "Bob" and she got on very well. I took a couple of lessons when I started at CB, one very good, one terrible. Quality of instructors seemed very hit-and-miss

Post edited by Thinksnow:

This is going a bit far, please leave each other's loved ones out of this. Thanks!

Sorry, Think. Lesson learned. I thought when they suggested I should get ****, that they had someone in mind.

And in this same crappy thread, poor Poconoceancity is trying to get info on the best place to get a child lessons...CB has a nice, separate area for kids. They also have a magic carpet, which is nice. I'm assuming you'll be at CB? I think the secret to getting kids a good lesson is to go off-hour, if possible, and ask for someone with the most tenure. When I started giving lessons, all the newbies were automatically given the children. They asked our preference, but that didn't seem to matter. If you find someone that has come back to teach for more than three seasons, I think your odds are pretty good that you're kids will have a worthwhile time. The instructor doesn't have to be old, but should immediately project an outgoing, happy personality.

Edited by ski999

He's not threatening them because they said PA sucks.

Look, we all realize PA isn't the place to go if you want the world's best skiing or riding (heck, the argument could be made that that destination wouldn't even be in the US)... He is getting upset because he saw it as people who feel they are better than others because of where they ski, immediately scoffing at and ridiculing the idea that one of our "sucky" mountains could have anything better than something they ski.

I don't think anyone is saying PA is the greatest, but it does server it's purpose nicely. I know plenty of people who say Tahoe sucks... Sierra Cement as they call it, but who gives a rats ass what anybody else thinks, ride hard and have fun...

F*** anyone who wants to spoil your fun.

With that, Think Snow!

34646[/snapback]

:werd

and you just like to hear your own name, don't you.

BTW I love my hardpack :rock

Holy shit, how did I miss this thread?

Ski999, you're an idiot and you need to stop posting.

P.S. Pennsylvania sucks for skiing/snowboarding PLEASE DON'T BITE OFF MY FACE

34642[/snapback]

Luckily, neither you nor your opinion matter, DH. You have Mammoth and Alpinezone has the mighty Jiminy. Enjoy life as a nanny and chair catcher, DH. Sounds exciting. You puting some hate on me because you trash talked a great contributor to skiing in this region and I defended him sort of shows what type of person you are.

Why you guys feel compelled to bash PA skiing and riding at a PA message board is beyond me. Seems like you are the idiots.

Ski999, you're an idiot and you need to stop posting.

34642[/snapback]

i have alot of respect for 999 he's been here since the beginning. hes probaly one of the most helpful people on the board (not being a member of the staff or admins).

dh ur what around 20 and you seem to think you kno it all. i mean just because you board in the serrias doesnt mean your king shyt and you get free shyt because you know people who are sponsered by burton and other companies doesnt mean a damn thing. so therefore i beleive your an idiot .

You puting some hate on me because you trash talked a great contributor to skiing in this region and I defended him sort of shows what type of person you are.

34649[/snapback]

Even if I would completely ignore the other thread, you still come off as a pushy, arrogant prick in this thread. How many other people already told you to take it easy? Perhaps you should heed their advice.

i have alot of respect for 999 he's been here since the beginning. hes probaly one of the most helpful people on the board (not being a member of the staff or admins).

34650[/snapback]

Yeah, he's been super helpful to all the new posters in this thread. Half the things he's griping about being posted on the AZ board wouldn't have been posted if it wasn't for his ridiculous, over the top posts. He tells people he's allowed to say whatever he wants because it's his opinion, then goes and tells others that their opinions don't matter. If only everyone was as helpful as him.

dh ur what  around 20 and you seem to think you kno it all. i mean just because you board in the serrias doesnt mean your king shyt  and you get  free shyt  because you know people who are sponsered by burton and other companies doesnt mean a damn thing.  so therefore i beleive your an idiot .

34650[/snapback]

Please find me one example anywhere on this board (or the Camelback one, for that matter) where I imply that I'm better than anyone else for riding out west. I've said it time and time again, anybody can do what I do if they want to. There's nothing exceptionally special about it.

Enjoy life as a nanny and chair catcher, DH. Sounds exciting.

34649[/snapback]

Enjoy riding two days a week on the same three trails for the rest of your life. Sounds exciting.