Whacks Wax

adrian

Hey!

I'm new here, and I just wanted to let you in on Pennsylvania's best kept secret: Whacks Wax. It's been three years of research and development, but it's starting to spread distribution now. You can PM, e-mail, or IM me about it or check out the site.

I've been on the development team. The test team has heavily tested the stuff in all types of conditions from coast to coast. Using technology similar to Swix (Black Devil line) and Toko (Dibloc line), Whacks works especially well in cold, dry snow and ice, when fluoro can't cut it. It is definitely up to par with high fluro waxes even at freezing and when wet and the price can't be beat. The best deal is 120g for $5, but you can also get smaller bars for less than that.

Hope everyone has a great season! Maybe you can spot me in the north east!

-adrian

Hey!

I'm new here, and I just wanted to let you in on Pennsylvania's best kept secret: Whacks Wax. It's been three years of research and development, but it's starting to spread distribution now. You can PM, e-mail, or IM me about it or check out the site.

I've been on the development team. The test team has heavily tested the stuff in all types of conditions from coast to coast. Using technology similar to Swix (Black Devil line) and Toko (Dibloc line), Whacks works especially well in cold, dry snow and ice, when fluoro can't cut it. It is definitely up to par with high fluro waxes even at freezing and when wet and the price can't be beat. The best deal is 120g for $5, but you can also get smaller bars for less than that.

Hope everyone has a great season! Maybe you can spot me in the north east!

-adrian

Hi Adrian!

Welcome to PASR!! Stay in touch through out the season and come on out to one of our PASR days with your products. "Getting the word out" is one of the toughest things to do unless you have a huge budget. Your product is skiing related and you are Local. There are many expert skiers and riders here that you can try your product to get reviews and subsequent posts. Adrian, we also have limited ad space available and encourage reciprocal links with our "partners".. Message one of the staff members here for more information.

I'll see what I can do, fam. I'm not the boss, but I'm sure he'd consider it. He's getting stretched pretty thin right now, but I know he'll try to prioritize this.

The most recent review:

So kids, I finally got to try OUT Steve-O's Whacks. Here's the deal. I, and two of my other friends hot waxed before opening day. Let me tell you, this is some of the hardest wax to scrape off your board, ever. But that also makes me think that a coat will last a long time.

So the day opened up about 28 degrees and sunny. First run, high speed groomer, and I was going plenty fast. Plenty fast. Not like Cera F fast, but I was moving as fast I wanted to be, especially first run of the year. So I was impressed. A few runs later, the three of us with the wax got together, and discussed how all of us were running much, much faster than our friends withOUT the wax. However, in their defense, they probably hadn't waxed since last season. But still, we were smoking them. So about five runs into the day, it started to snow, hard. Like, couldn't see 10 feet in front of you hard. And you know what? The Whacks started going faster. Everyone I saw was getting stuck in this one flat spot we have, but not us, we were breezing through that like it was nothing. But I swear to God, I think this wax started running faster on the fresh snow, and honest to God, I can't think of another wax that runs faster in powder than it does on hardpack. So basically, what I'm saying is, Steve's Whacks works, and it works well. At least in the conditions I was in, which was between 28 and 13 degrees (air temp) that day. Muchas gracias, Steve, and good work. I look forward to using this wax often, I'm just not excited to scrape it off after I iron it in. Nice work. Not blowing smoke up your ass, just saying, this stuff does what it's supposed to. So thanks. And Steve, I need to PM you abOUT a possible shop interested in carrying it. Please PM me your phone number. Jason

This is on burton.com, and that's pistoff from the west coast.

I just want to say that almost all of the time I will be talking about things other than Whacks. I'm not here just to sell you wax. It's all about Pennsylvania, mang!

-adrian

Haha, sounds great, guys. I doubt I'll get down to Blue, but Camelback MIGHT be an possibility. My conscience couldn't stand you paying and not having the Whacks in a timely fashion because we couldn't meet up. You can PM me with orders I can send some out to you, which might be less expensive shipping and quicker than going through Steve.

-adrian

EDIT:

Well, this makes me really want to get out to other local mountains now!

Edited by skitzo

Haha, sounds great, guys. I doubt I'll get down to Blue, but Camelback MIGHT be an possibility. My conscience couldn't stand you paying and not having the Whacks in a timely fashion because we couldn't meet up. You can PM me with orders I can send some out to you, which might be less expensive shipping and quicker than going through Steve.

-adrian

EDIT:

Well, this makes me really want to get out to other local mountains now!

We'll be having a bunch of PASkiandRide days out at area mountains this year... Sounds like a great time for you to meet up with people, and let us check out the "whacks" ourselves!

We'll be having a bunch of PASkiandRide days out at area mountains this year... Sounds like a great time for you to meet up with people, and let us check out the "whacks" ourselves!

That sounds great! I'm kind of intimidated, but haha, I'm sure it will be nice.

I frequently experiment with different waxes on left and right skis... I would love to try it out.. Send me ordering info via PM..

YGPM. Bigger PM folder please, haha!

Adrian-

I was thinking about the wax...Whats the advantage to having wax that sticks on your base while you are riding? Seems like it would be just like using a really cold wax, which would be real slow on a warm day.

Thanks for letting me know!

It stuck to the base because of it its thick nature. This occurred because of the oversight on my part of forgetting my scraper when I planned to scrape that morning, but when scraped, this is not an issue at all. Whacks has run well in testing in a wide range of temperatures, but hopefully, you'll take the opportunity judge that for yourself this season!

-adrian

The most recent review:

So Steve took a risk and sent me a blob of Whacks unsolicited with a note saying something to the effect of don?t knock it until you try it, which is fair enough. I told him I?d test it and post my thoughts, for better or worse.

deep down I doubted that his product could be anything but mediocre, but seeing how wax is mostly wax I figured it would probably be ?nothing special? ?no better or no worse than average wax.

So on the weekend I waxed up 2 boards, a 05/06 Rome agent 162 and a 04/05 (?) Airblaster/Travis Parker ?FUN!? 158. Both boards have medium level sintered bases. Since I know how the agent rides I waxed it with an all temperature Swix wax, and on the FUN! board I used Whacks. I thought that since the agent has a couple more cm?s of running length that that would potentially confuse the findings if the agent performed better, and using whacks on the more unknown board would reveal if it is an ?exceptional? wax. One thing is for sure, Whacks is one of the hardest waxes to scrape off that I have ever used!

I took both boards up to the hill on Monday. The conditions were corduroy, packed powder and powder. The air temperature varied from ?5 C to 1 C (thats about 23 to 34 F)

I took 2 runs on the agent first, encountering all the above conditions. It was groomer to a steep section to a flat area that I had to straightline in order to get to the pow. After the pow was a long flat area that you had to pump and work to keep your speed on to make it back to the lift. I choose this line because you have to carry your speed right through the steep choppy part in order to not skate back to the lift. To me, that is where a good wax is crucial. Skating is tiring and annoying.

Following that I took 2 runs on the FUN! board. I alternated like this for about 2.5 hours, same runs, same lines.

Overall, I found that I had an easier time keeping my speed with the FUN! board waxed with Whacks. The Whacks glided better, and worked more consistently throughout the day, and seemed to hold up better. The agent got slower as the day went on, but the Whacks board seemed to stay fast, this could be because Whacks seems to be a very hard wax, and in my experience a hard wax lasts longer. The difference was quite noticeable on the flat parts, I think I had more speed getting to the pow but I definitely had more speed on the long flat return to the lift.

If there was a negligible difference in the performance of the two boards then that could be explained by faulty waxing techniques etc but in this case the FUN! board definitely performed better.

I?m going to run this test when its really cold out and again in the spring as well.

drjcv @ burton.com

Edited by skitzo

Bring it to the first PASR day and wax everyone up.

445 wax jobs a pretty tall order! I'll need to get more Whacks for the PASR days because my incoming shipment is almost depleted just from pre-orders. PM me if you want to scoop up the last bars.

-adrian

most recent feedback:

you owe Doc HUGE for taking the time and effort to not only test your product, but for doing so with such care. He obviously put a fair amount of thought into how to test it in the most scientific, unbiased manner possible. Plus he took the time to publicly share his findings in a detailed manner. Which makes for a refreshing change from a lot of the crapola that passes for noteworthy around here. It was nice to read something that was a) actually related to snowboarding B) involved an "ah ha" regarding a product c) incorporated some robust methodology and d) referred back to an on-going "cult of personality" story on the BMB.

I admit - I was sketchy thinking about using Whacks for the Baker Banked. But I have been watching carefully all the feedback from those who have tried it. Jason, Jeremy, Amanda, Michael .... these are people I respect. They're no slouches on the hill. When a critic turns advocate, I *really* sit up and take notice.

So thanks Doc. Based on your feedback and that of the others here, Whacks is batting 1,000 right now. No one who has used it has given a thumbs down rating on Steveo's product. So I'll be using it myself, and rocking it at the LBBS*.

suchick

*Legendary Baker Banked Slalom

I'm just glad to hear that the Doc liked it, too. I knew I wasn't blowing any smoke up anyone's ass. For real, flat spots are the true test, and Steve's Whacks passed with flying colors.

pistoff

I used it at camp and didn't have to wax for the entire week, only slowed down a tiny bit on the last day but was still noticeably faster than with other waxes in the past.

Barcode!

• 4 weeks later...

It was sad to hear that he had to ride in those conditions but...

UPDATE: Went riding again Sunday, conditions were 45 degrees (air temp), somewhat slushy. And I went way fast still. Two pretty much completely different conditions, and the wax worked in both of them.

pistoff

Well, it doesn't really look like they're marketing it as "whacks wax" but more like replacing "wax" with "whacks." It looks like they're using "whacks" as the name of the actual product, not the brand. "Whacks wax" (what you're talking about) is probably the company, right? May be fine, but still something to look into. Skitzo, i want some of this wax. Where do i get it? PM me and let me know- i gotta try this stuff out!

Plus.........i'm out of wax :banghead