Snow at CB

Luke

I think it's a lot smarter to keep blowing and open later (which is actually the semi-regular date for them) with better conditions... because wouldn't it be better for your home mountain to have the best conditions for awhile than for just a day and then have it be all slushy. I'd rather have my mountain have good conditions and other mountains open early and be crappy. B/c if you really feel the need to ride, you only have to ride that crap for the day... not everyday. :wiggle

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just checked the NWS website for weather this week. Looks like the warm weather won't stick arround too long and CB will be able to make snow again Wed. night. It was previously Friday before it would get cold again.

If it were me I would open ASAP and take avantage of all the other areas being closed and thier snow making systems not being able to keep up.

If I were in charge of marketing I would do a special early season mid-week special ticket and hours something like 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. prior to the opening weekend.

The weather forcast has changed so with some luck and enough people make enough noise CB will open after the rain goes by on Wed.

From the National Weather Service:

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/ifps/MapClick.php?....x=176&map.y=34

Wednesday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 26.

Thursday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 43.

Thursday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 25.

Friday: Partly cloudy, with a high around 42.

Friday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low near 22.

Saturday: Partly cloudy, with a high around 40

Oh yeah...Last year CB was late to open compared to some other mountains in the area a few days later than Blue if I can remember. Now they have the opportunity to kick some a$$ and open way ahead of anyone else and they are letting it slip by.

I'm pretty sure tonight is the last night of any major snowmaking untill next Thursday at the earliest (if the forecast is correct). I'm really starting to think 10th is gonna be the opening day, especially cuz the management seems to think that opening with more trails will be much better. I'm kind of going to agree with them on that one. As much as I would love to ride next weekend, I'm willing to wait and give them the benefit fo the doubt, especially seeing that they've been making very good improvements to the mountain and parks already. So hopefully this stuff won't melt that much during next week and than they'll start blowing a lot more and in 12-14 days we'll be pillaging CB :)

wow luke we seem to have the same mentality on alot of things lol lol

CB hasn't cared about an early opening in a long time...I remember having to buy day passes to JF the same day we picked up our CB season passes. DaveK always used to say that the goal is "to have terrain for all abilities before deciding to open".

I would rather my home hill open with a six foot ribbon of snow and a few rocks here and there, than wait an extra week. Early openings are more about cost and the bottom line for the ski area, rather than snow preservation.

DaveK always used to say that the goal is "to have terrain for all abilities before deciding to open".

Thanks for bringing that up. In the back of my mind there was a "sense" that mountains (especially CB) wouldn't want to open without beginner terrain, and I certainly wouldn't expect to see CB open without at least one intermediate/advanced run. That must have been where that "sense" orginated.

CB seems to be changing however with their new manager. They have mentioned that they would like to open quickly, and the spending in the park, purchase of a new groomer and talk of a bumped trail all seem very unlike CB. Perhaps opening early will become a reality. I'm not gonna hold my breath, but it is something to hope for right?

Thanks for bringing that up. In the back of my mind there was a "sense" that mountains (especially CB) wouldn't want to open without beginner terrain, and I certainly wouldn't expect to see CB open without at least one intermediate/advanced run. That must have been where that "sense" orginated.

CB seems to be changing however with their new manager. They have mentioned that they would like to open quickly, and the spending in the park, purchase of a new groomer and talk of a bumped trail all seem very unlike CB. Perhaps opening early will become a reality. I'm not gonna hold my breath, but it is something to hope for right?

I defently am liking the new owner, he seems to have alot more balls than Sam Newman... never really did like the man, kinda an ass when ever I saw him

Looks like starting Thursday night (hopefully) they should be able to make snow at least during the night as long as the forecast shows (right now till Dec 12). Hopefully this forecast won't change much. This is accuweather by the way. If this keeps up than we are going to have one amazing opening day with an awsome season to follow... I can't wait, I really wanna get a good number of runs in before I take off to Canada for a week of riding right after new years. :)

Edited by Luke

From RideCB by one of the admins:

Here is an update on snowmaking and opening day?As of Today, the forecast is calling for mild temperatures through Thursday night (no snowmaking). The cold air is expected to arrive late Thursday night or Friday and should be cold enough to start up the snow guns again!! Most of the snow that has been made has been left in piles (not pushed out and groomed). Why do we do that? In the early season, we know that snowmaking will be interrupted with brief periods of mild temperatures (it stinks, but it is a fact that we deal with). By keeping the snow in piles, the snow can weather (sorry for the pun) the warm temperatures better (think refrigeration). The current warm temperatures have taken a small toll from the snow whales (piles of snow that look like the swimming mammals). Right now there is a ton of snow on the trails, but the snow still needs to be pushed out and groomed. The snow whales can?t be pushed out until the temperatures drop, otherwise the groomers will just spin in the super soft wet snow?making the snow melt much more quickly!

CB won?t be opening this weekend. We will be taking a few extra days to grow the snow whales and wait for the cold temperatures to flatten the whales into a solid snow base, edge to edge and top to bottom! We will post on the message boards, web page and snow phone (800-233-8100) updates on snowmaking and opening day. Have patience, skiing and riding season is not far off. Get the boards ready, visualize your newest trick in the park, for the skiers?get your bindings checked! Think snow!

For pictures of snow whales, check out todays "Pictures of the Day"

Looks to me (from the CB site) that they have plenty of snow to open, if the temps drop tomorrow as predicted. this idea of top-to-bottom, edge-to-edge cover is just marketing BS. They don't want to have the extra staff and running costs for an early season start, I can understand that as they wouldn't get many people coming for a few trails.

The first couple of weeks last year, when they only had Tut/Meadows open was very quiet :D, once christmas arrived, more trails and the NY/chinese invasion began (no offence meant to any chinese on the board, but you know what I mean)

I'm going back to Killington this weekend, I just hope CB is open the week after.