12/27 Report

AtomicSkier

Arrived at 7:15am, was the first one to be scanned, the first one on the lift, and the first one down Razors. Did 7 runs in exactly one hour, did 13 in exactly two hours, ended up with 16 runs (17296 vertical feet). I was on my GS:11s today, and after about 13 runs my legs were feeling it (was making alot of turns today since Doug wasn't around) and plus I did 36k vert yesterday, so today was an easy day. Conditions were fabulous! I was ripping turns down Razors, until they closed it for the race team, then I did a lot of laps on Challenge, did a run on Mainstreet, and about three park runs, which, I must confess, I got mad air off the first hit in Sidewinder (Justo8484 may have witnessed it if he was watching). But the first hit in Sidewinder, and the first hit down below are the only two jumps I'll hit (besides the last one on lower sidewinder). But for skiing by myself, I had a fun day, don't know how conditions will be later, could be sketchy.

On another note, I picked up my custom footbeds at Nestors today. The support is unbelievable! I can't wait to ski on the things, they made my foot feel like it was wrapped in velvet :P I could feel already my left ankle bone not being pressed into my boot, and I wasn't walking on the inside of my boots anymore. :rock

What were crowds like when you left? I have to wait 4 more hours to ski. I just got all muddy out in a cemetery but now I'm eating Taco Bell :rock How much did the custom footbeds cost?

My last three runs the crowd control guy was out, but lines were minimal, however the lodge was PACKED.

Footbeds? $159 out the door.

just got back... everything is looking pretty beat and there are 450,000 people there. its hell.

on a side note, the conditions in the morning were pretty nice... went up with Justo... we were only able to ski razors once before they closed it for the racers... so we skied the park most of the morning (what a surprise) razors edge seems to be a rare luxury at the mountain when the racers are around... even though they have their own trail on the other side of the mountain. its kinda crappy how they can close an entire trail just for themselves.... it would be nice if FreeRiders would be able to close the whole park and keep it for themselves every time they wanted to. unfortunately though, at Blue, the racers think they are God.

Edited by toast21602

they were pretty rediculous... i hope everything up there is 10x better when you get there so you dont have to deal with it

I saw you and Justin on your run down Razors (I was on the lift) though I think I saw Justin on the lift when I was going down Razors a few minutes later... :P

The quad was insane even around 4ish today.. I left around 4:30.

Days like today are 50/50 in the park: nice cuz when u fall it doesn't hurt, but sucks cuz it's really hard to get enough speed to clear the landings.

u guys gotta come visit me! I work Mon, Tues, Wed, n Thurs from 9am - 3pm at the snowboard school down at Valley East. My uniform is just like everybody else's: black pants, blue jacket. I got new goggles tho: black/hot pink Spys, n my board is black...

I just came back like at 7:00 pm. I got there at like 10:00, it was packed. The lift line at the quad wasn't to bad, but, when after my dad and I decided to eat lunch, (at the base lodge) The lift line for the quad took at least 30 min. IT WAS PACKED! I got plent of runs in on paradise, upper and lower switchback, and lazymile. As it got darker, I was getting really beat, and tired. There was sooo much powder, and I find it difficult for me to turn in real deep heavy powder. I had no energy left in me to cut through those. During the day, I was cuting through the powder like a hot knife in frozen butter. All in all, it was a great day of skiing! :D:P:yes

slushly death sucks. it was so had to actually not try and look totally like a noob in the park. other then that i had a good day.

also when i pulled in this morning i parked next to a fellow pasr member. who drives a somewhat silver subaru legacy?

jeff-u look so stupid using an entire trial just to ski down

Edited by forumdestroyer154

slushly death sucks. it was so had to actually not try and look totally like a noob in the park. other then that i had a good day.

jeff-u look so stupid using an entire trial just to ski down

hahaha yeah... the park was kinda haggard today with the slush and whatnot... still fun though, like always.

There was sooo much powder, and I find it difficult for me to turn in real deep heavy powder. I had no energy left in me to cut through those. During the day, I was cuting through the powder like a hot knife in frozen butter. All in all, it was a great day of skiing! :D:P:yes

I skied yesterday from 9:30 to 12:00 the lines were rediculous (Christmas week- that's typical) and POWDER???? There wasn't any powder. Slushy piles of granular, yes but powder? Powder is dry, light, fine snow. Not much you can do about it though. Hi temps and plenty of rain, mixed with high traffic and that's what you get. Maybe in a couple of weeks will will get some decent s temps, the crowds will die down and conditions will improve. BTW- to ski in piled slush you carve through the piles. Keeping the ski on edge will slice right through it. You can also ski through loose powder that way too. Keep the downhill ski heavilly weighted. Also, what kind of beds did you get that they charged you $159????? I just had a pair made in Beaver Creek (resort prices) and paid $120.

I skied yesterday from 9:30 to 12:00 the lines were rediculous (Christmas week- that's typical) and POWDER???? There wasn't any powder. Slushy piles of granular, yes but powder? Powder is dry, light, fine snow. Not much you can do about it though. Hi temps and plenty of rain, mixed with high traffic and that's what you get. Maybe in a couple of weeks will will get some decent s temps, the crowds will die down and conditions will improve. BTW- to ski in piled slush you carve through the piles. Keeping the ski on edge will slice right through it. You can also ski through loose powder that way too. Keep the downhill ski heavilly weighted. Also, what kind of beds did you get that they charged you $159????? I just had a pair made in Beaver Creek (resort prices) and paid $120.

It was $150 + Tax. Yours were $30 cheaper, I'm not going to drive up to the Loft, for instance, just to save that $$$. Pete Nestor did my footbeds himself, and they felt soo nice today (the support was unbelivable). I even commented to Justo8484 (the beds were his recomendation) how great they were working. My left ankle pressure was virtually elimnated. :rock

Edited by AtomicSkier

Atomic, where are you getting the pressure on your boot? Next time your at Nestors have someone who has a clue check your boot cuff allignment and also the canting. The vast majority of skiers have some kind of canting that needs to be done. Try this. Ski on each ski for about 5-6 seconds at a time (on one ski)- on flat snow. If your foot pronates (goes out) or supplenates (turns in) your boots need to be canted. This is really important. Not sure of what your ankle issue is, but it sounds like a fitting issue. Foot beds are a must.

Edited by Finndog

Atomic, where are you getting the pressure on your boot? Next time your at Nestors have someone who has a clue check your boot cuff allignment and also the canting.

i think that both Justin and Pete have a clue when it comes to the fit of a boot and how to adjust the pressure that is displaced around the foot... especially since Justin has been working there for 6 years and Pete owns it..

i think that both Justin and Pete have a clue when it comes to the fit of a boot and how to adjust the pressure that is displaced around the foot... especially since Justin has been working there for 6 years and Pete owns it..

Good, then next time you are in there and they are there, you can ask them to check the fit. There is clearly a fitting issue with his boot or his ankle is deformed. My guess is it's a fitting issue and not a deformity. Why are you bitchin about good sound fitting advice?If you are saying Atomic has already seen them about this pressure then there its definitely time to look for another fitter. This is just not acceptable. All I know is that I bought a pair of boots there about 6-7 years ago, when I didn't know better and they put me in a boot nearly 2 sizes too big (I'm a 10.5 street, they put me in a 28.5 my correct size is 27). The "fitter" put me in boots based on my street shoe size. This is why I merely said when there was someone around who had a clue. You spend 600-850 on a pair of boots, plus beds, you better get them fit properly. If nothing else, they could punch out around the ankle pocket. How is it that they didn't put him in beds before?

Yea, I actually wanted Justin to make them (help him out $$$ wise), but he said only full-timers do that. I think settleing for the owner is acceptable.

As for my ski, when I'm on flat ground, my ski used to rest on the inside edge (mostly because I walk on the inside of my feet, big time.) As of now, it's much better. The pain was from my left ankle bone being pressed extremely hard into the side of my boot (inside of the left boot). WHen i told justin this, he immediatly said he had the same problem, and its because i walk on the inside of my feet. Footbeds made a world of a difference in the pain department, and in the overall better fitment of my boots. :rock

OK, what you are decribing sounds like a supplenation problem. This can be somewhat addressed with the beds but you really need to have your canting adjusted. The goal to have the foot completely neutral in the boot. The foot should be sitting flat and level. This is what drives the ski. If the foot isnt flat, then it will tilt the ski. Try that drill tomorrow or this evening and let me know how straight or crooked your skis go. You are probably going to have to have the soles ground to get your foot neutral. This will make a big difference in your skiing; especially on the blue "powder". You may want to call ahead to where you are staying in Alta and ask around for a good fitter and make an appointment. There are some great fitters in the PC area. I'm sure Justin is a nice guy but you need someone with years of experience and training. The fitters out here just don't have the volume of work that the guys out west or up in New England have. It will be the well worth the $. You are a serious skier and will appreciate a properly fit boot.

Atomic, read this article http://www.techsupportforskiers.com/tech_tip.htm

Edited by Finndog

CORRECTION-- PRONATION problem!

Sorry Atomic, I got my terms mixed up.

Pronation

After initial ground contact, the foot is designed to roll inward to disperse shock

Over-pronators roll in too much. This causes excessive movement of the foot and lower leg.

Under-pronators have feet that don't roll enough after ground contact.

Overpronation

Definition: Excessive inward roll of the foot after landing.The foot continues to roll when it should be pushing off. This twists the foot, shin and knee and can cause pain in all those areas.

Diagnosis: Excessive wear on the inner side of your running shoes. Your shoes will tilt inward if you place them on a flat surface. Knock knees or flat feet contribute to overpronation.

Remedies: Wear shoes with straight or semicurved lasts. Motion-control or stability shoes with firm, multidensity midsoles and external control features that limit pronation are best. Over-the-counter orthotics or arch supports can help, too. Overpronation causes extra stress and tightness to the muscles, so do a little extra stretching.

Supination (Under-pronation)

Definition: Insufficient inward roll of the foot after landing. This places extra stress on the foot and can result in iliotibial band syndrome of the knee, Achilles tendinitis, plantar fasciitis.

Diagnosis: Shoes that wear on the entire outside edge, with the side of the shoe becoming overstretched. Your shoes will tilt outward when placed on a flat surface. High arches and tight Achilles tendons contribute to supination..

Remedies: Wear shoes with curved lasts to allow pronation. Lightweight trainers allow more foot motion. Check for flexibility on the inner side of the shoe. Supinators should do extra stretching for the calves, hamstrings, quads and iliotibial band.