Just for VT mark

sibhusky

I want you to know that this effort cost me about 3000 feet today. The chair only goes up 400 vertical feet and takes as long almost as long as the chair that covers 2100 feet. So I didn't go around labeling all the pages for you. Basically, it starts with me sitting on the chair taking pictures on the way up, then me skiing down the side of it taking pictures on the way down.

Big Mountain Terrain Park

Sib - didn't I read somewhere that you guys were adding a super pipe? or was that somewhere close by? Interesting that the park was empty. Basic jibs on some great looking snow. Man it hurts seeing all that snow.. THanks for taking the time to take those pics Sib!!

Sib - didn't I read somewhere that you guys were adding a super pipe? or was that somewhere close by? Interesting that the park was empty. Basic jibs on some great looking snow. Man it hurts seeing all that snow.. THanks for taking the time to take those pics Sib!!

There is a super pipe, but I had posted pictures of it before. It is NOT OPEN. It was supposed to open a couple of weeks ago, but they are waiting on some piece of equipment to arrive from Germany. No one seems to be poaching any runs in it, either.

Latest info:

"1.25.06 brothers and sisters... just want to give everyone an update on what's happening with the new superpipe. everyone's excited -- no one more so than we, the fishbowl crew. we're so ready to schralp that thing we're drooling all over ourselves. the minute the average temps drop below 24 degrees F, we've got staff and equipment poised and ready to drop over 100 million gallons of snow on the sucker. if that sounds like a lot, well, it is. but that's the real number. so, peace be with you out there, pray for low temps if you're so inclined. somebody call a doctor, because right now we're all being patient, but soon we'll all be sick."

We are getting TONS of snow here, frankly I could use a break from it as the roads are a nightmare and I can't see a thing most of the day. But the temperatures are not that low....if they were I wouldn't be getting so darn wet!

We are getting TONS of snow here, frankly I could use a break from it as the roads are a nightmare and I can't see a thing most of the day. But the temperatures are not that low....if they were I wouldn't be getting so darn wet!

AWWWW - I feel so sorry for him... NOT! nice post though, thanks!

Well, here's more pictures. First ones are the first time I could see ANYTHING other than white today. I could have taken pictures, but you would have thought they were BLANK. These first ones are as the clouds are finally lifting at 4:10 in the afternoon.

http://www.siberianrescue.com/other/Feb2006

Imagine how bad it was before that.

I've added to that link with some more pictures of Hellroaring Basin and a trip down Gray's Golf Course into the trees. First image is of Hellroaring Basin as seen from the top of Ptarmigan Bowl. Then we take a trip down Slingshot before we take the Gray's Golf Course descent, which has the REALLY FAT snowghosts on it and ends up in a lot of trees.

New pictures start with Image 12.

Edited by sibhusky

I've added to that link with some more pictures of Hellroaring Basin and a trip down Gray's Golf Course into the trees. First image is of Hellroaring Basin as seen from the top of Ptarmigan Bowl. Then we take a trip down Slingshot before we take the Gray's Golf Course descent, which has the REALLY FAT snowghosts on it and ends up in a lot of trees.

New pictures start with Image 12.

absolutely beautiful. thats it... i'm out west as soon as i graduate.

park leaves a little to be desired however, but it seems fairly well kept. i'd be able to deal with that, haha.

• 2 weeks later...

An update on this. They are finally blowing snow on the superpipe, I keep meaning to take pictues. It's pretty confusing, though, as they are blowing snow not only INTO the pipe but every which way in the whole surrounding vicinity, not just adjacent to the pipe, so I don't know what that's all about. They are also digging snow up, too, for some reason. Anyway, I assume all the activity is about this announcement:

"Northern Division Big Fish Freeze Style Feb 24, 25 & 26. Three days of Northern Division freestyle teams competing in the air and on the moguls. This is a USSA sanctioned event. A USSA competitor membership is required. Registration is at the info center."

Unfortunately, I think I am working all of those days, so won't be able to take any pictures of that, but maybe they'll post some on the web site.

Edited by sibhusky

An update on this. They are finally blowing snow on the superpipe, I keep meaning to take pictues. It's pretty confusing, though, as they are blowing snow not only INTO the pipe but every which way in the whole surrounding vicinity, not just adjacent to the pipe, so I don't know what that's all about. They are also digging snow up, too, for some reason. Anyway, I assume all the activity is about this announcement:

"Northern Division Big Fish Freeze Style Feb 24, 25 & 26. Three days of Northern Division freestyle teams competing in the air and on the moguls. This is a USSA sanctioned event. A USSA competitor membership is required. Registration is at the info center."

Unfortunately, I think I am working all of those days, so won't be able to take any pictures of that, but maybe they'll post some on the web site.

Certainly let us know if they do so we can check it out. Sounds like they are working hard to get it ready if they are blowing that much and shaping/digging.

Certainly let us know if they do so we can check it out. Sounds like they are working hard to get it ready if they are blowing that much and shaping/digging.

Sibhusky, i designate it your job to find us the cheapest realeastate in colorado so we can move out there :D.

I checked out the work at the pipe again today. I don't think they are going to be ready for this event, based on what I saw. I saw the freestyle coach a bit after that and he said they might have to cancel that part of the competition. I took pictures, but no point in posting them, you'll all agree they can't be ready for a comp on Friday at this rate. I think the problem is today we suddenly hit a warm spell and they can't make snow.

Define cheap. Also, there is a TON of cheap real estate in eastern Montana. Just not close to ski areas. In the immediate vicinity of where I am, the land was going for $10,000 an acre about five years ago. We felt we overpaid for this particular hunk at $15,000 an acre. Now within a block of us they are asking $40,000 and more an acre. And that was last year, haven't looked lately. www.nmar.com has listings of real estate in NW MT.

Starting looking and it is now $60-80,000 an acre. This is close to me, within a mile.

http://www.nmar.com:8080/idx/propertyDetail.jsp?sesid=256141

http://www.nmar.com:8080/idx/propertyDetail.jsp?sesid=256142

You can go closer to the ski area and pay more or further and pay less. Atomic should look at The Homestead at Whitefish, Iron Horse, Whitefish Hills, and some other gated communities for his land. ;)

Edited by sibhusky

Some pictures of the superpipe area. I tried to enhance them, but the light was really flat. There's NO WAY that thing will be available for the event. These were actually taken yesterday, but it doesn't look any different to me today. The cat is still moving snow around, apparently making walls higher.

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

Well, just came across this. Like I said, not quite ready:

"Super Pipe Update - Posted on February 21, 2006

Big Mountain has been using the current colder weather to make snow in the half pipe. Our groomers are also mixing all the snow (natural and man made) for a consistent snow pack needed for the pipe. Our next phase involves building steps up the walls, and then we will use the new Zaugg Pipe Monster to carve the walls.

While we have had great natural snowfall this winter, the month of January was unseasonably warm and we were unable to make the needed man made snow to fill the pipe. Dating back to 1950, January was the wettest month recorded. However, it was also the warmest January on record. (source: Daily Inter Lake)

Our goal is to have a high quality half pipe out of the gate. We appreciate everyone's patience with these factors that are beyond our control. At this point, we are shooting for a Grand Opening on the first weekend in March. We will continue to keep you updated as to our progress."

Lest anyone thinks we had a lot of RAIN, wrong, we had SNOW SNOW SNOW.

Edited by sibhusky