2/14 - Where's the Beef?

NightRider

I will start with an appology for this b!+ch and whine post... Sorry, but after as much snow as we got, there really shouldn't be any excuse that the pipe is not in top condition. BC invested $1m or some large sum in a park bully and a pipe dragon yet it appears to be underused... The pipe was in dismal shape today. There were a few people I spoke with that were equally bummed that the park was not in better condition. It did look like the park crew came out late today (5ish?) as the top jump with flat-down rail got opened up after a little manual tweaking. Honestly though, with good temps and a lot of snow, everything should really get re-cut with the cat. Not to mention the small park was absent of any mini-tables, gaps, etc... I hate to complain when I know there are people who work hard over there to make things happen, but frankly now is the time to be showing off the BC's commitment to the park...

Yeah, I gotta agree. With the snow that we got this weekend, the park and pipe should be as good as we've

seen in YEARS!!! :thumbdown With how well the park was kept up early in the season, even with during the warm weather, we all expected BC to have an awesome set up once we got some real snow, let alone a foot plus. I don't know :dunno what the problem is, but i'm sure there's a reason :glare: Somebody help!!! :help

Yeah, I gotta agree. With the snow that we got this weekend, the park and pipe should be as good as we've

seen in YEARS!!! :thumbdown With how well the park was kept up early in the season, even with during the warm weather, we all expected BC to have an awesome set up once we got some real snow, let alone a foot plus. I don't know :dunno what the problem is, but i'm sure there's a reason :glare: Somebody help!!! :help

Fresh snow and big crowds really don't help parks that much. Give them a day or two and things should be looking better.

go to Blue in the meantime. they have kept theirs looking perfect since friday.

haha screw that im goin to mountain creek their parks are sooo insane right now

im heading up again tomorrow morning and ill take pics of all their setups and what not.. everything was soo smooth this morning

Fresh snow and big crowds really don't help parks that much. Give them a day or two and things should be looking better.

The snow we got should be great for shaping. Its not like it was powder. The stuff we got packs out real quick.

granted traffic always makes upkeep a battle, especialy when most of the traffice are rolling lips or casing every hit, but still its the park crews job to deal with this.

there are plently of mountains that get a lot more snow and maintain fantastic parks.

Obviously I am not letting BC off easy on this one. I think they need to step up the game. Grooming is what makes or breaks a park.

nop offense tro blue but that was such a let dpwn.. there are no landings after huge kickers.. i dont know how u guys still have knees

first off, you need to know how much speed you need to hit the landing. if you come at it mach 3 then dont expect to hit landing. and i highly doubt that you hit the 70 footer and didnt hit landing... its okay to be bitter that Bear's park isnt up to par right now. but dont start hating on a park that is better than your home mountain right now. you are honestly the first person that i know who has said Blue's park is a let down. have you looked at your little hill lately?

not only has Blue stepped it up since last year, but right now it is above and beyond any expectations that anybody has had for Blue this year.

no, i like Bear. but every tiem i ahve been there this year it has sucked. the jumps were terrible and the lips on rails were like mini hlafpipes because of all the boarders riding on to them. it wasnt kept well at all and the first time i was there this year it was liek a dirt slalom course. its not so much that i ahve a problem with Bear, because i dont... its specifically people like Dorsey who come to another mountain and complain about it when ther own isnt any better. you could say the exact same thing about him. i ahvent heard one good thing come from his mouth about Blue. maybe he should stick to following people with a camera instead of falsely critiquing a park.

yes i understand what you saying its just differnt view points, but that thing about the camera it was his view i dont think you should make fun of him for it. ill admit i favor bear more than blue but havent been to blue this year and would like to go there soon. off topic i think it is great that both mountains are pushing each other in terrian parks.

okay cool i think ill be up there, prob wearing a blue 686 jacket with a helment and oakley a frames.

Bears park was sick yesterday. They groomed everything out, jumps had super smooth faces, landings were nice and soft and not rutted out. Snow was a little slow in the morning by by the afternoon ot was pretty sick.

and i highly doubt that you hit the 70 footer and didnt hit landing...

Did they just add that? Or was that there on monday? Your talking about the bigger middle table I guess. either way it'd be hard to over shoot that, and if its the same as monday it only seemed like a 45'er

I think its been hard to keep up cause this snow moves around more than the ice crud they've been blowing up till now. either way the landings have been taking a major beating more now than ever.

Did they just add that? Or was that there on monday? Your talking about the bigger middle table I guess. either way it'd be hard to over shoot that, and if its the same as monday it only seemed like a 45'er

I think its been hard to keep up cause this snow moves around more than the ice crud they've been blowing up till now. either way the landings have been taking a major beating more now than ever.

I was up at Blue on monday and there was no 70 foot table...it was closer to 45 or 50.

i went to blue last sunday and there was about a third to half the amount of fresh compared to bc. not that it matters in the jokonos anyway. i didnt see anything close to a 70 or 50 foot table top. there were huge kickers with super long transitions that is pretty much just the down slope. blue's hits are impressive compared to bc, but bc is more tricked/new school with thier wall and rails. ive been around for a while, and they have both stepped it up tremendously the past 5 years. most of the resorts are progressing at speeds too fast for the average 10 time a season/recreational riders.

i dont know who said there is a 70 foot table; there isnt.

That would be toast.

the biggest hit is a stepdown wedge jump, measured at 68 feet lip to knuckle. so you're correct, there is no 70 foot table.

Where is this jump? I rode all of blue early this week and didn't see anything that big. The biggest jump I saw...which I think is what you are talking about here...was no where near 68ft.

That would be toast.

Where is this jump? I rode all of blue early this week and didn't see anything that big. The biggest jump I saw...which I think is what you are talking about here...was no where near 68ft.

never have i said that Blue has a 70ft table. i said there was a 70ft hit, but not a table.

I was up at Blue on monday and there was no 70 foot table...it was closer to 45 or 50.

if you didnt see it you are blind. also, for the record... today at the photoshoot the head of park crue said that it was just measured to 71ft lip to knuckle. and any tables that are at Blue are no longer than 30 ft. the booters are where its at. ranging from 25-70 ft. i dont know how you measure jumps at Bear, but the tables at Blue are 30... not even close to 45 ft

if you didnt see it you are blind. also, for the record... today at the photoshoot the head of park crue said that it was just measured to 71ft lip to knuckle. and any tables that are at Blue are no longer than 30 ft. the booters are where its at. ranging from 25-70 ft. i dont know how you measure jumps at Bear, but the tables at Blue are 30... not even close to 45 ft

Then it is what I thought it was and I was hitting that all day on Monday. It hits and looks a lot smaller then it is I guess because I was clearing the knuckle by a good 10-15 ft. And that was riding my 151. On the same board I couldn't even make the tranny on some 60ft kickers out west this season and those jump were much better.

And I also doubt some of the stuff the park crew says at both Blue and Bear. I talked to one guy earlier in the season at Blue and he was talking up the park saying there were at least 4 60ft tables, I go out and none of the tables were more then 25ft. :confused And at Bear one kid was saying they had a 50ft flat box-rail...when its only 25ft. <_<

i dont know why all you people doubt a standard of measurement. feet are feet any way you look at it. a

Depends on how it is measured. I've seen people step something off and say its 30ft and then when you actually measure it its only 20ft. And having hit jumps that are 70,80, and 90ft+ I can say that that hit feels small for 70ft. Edited by burton71

And at Bear one kid was saying they had a 50ft flat box-rail...when its only 25ft

Yeah man i know where you are comming from.. the sizes of alot of shit is exaggerated in PA... that box is only 30 feet by the way and the middle jumps is 30 feet... the montain employees dont usually exaggerate the sizes though... kids on lifts will be like "yeah i boardslid that 50 foot box" or "I just 3'd the 50 foot table" they try to make themselves better than they are and change the sizes of features while they are at it... when people hear others talking anout the sizes of jumps and rails they believe them... i can vouch for blue they have a huge stepdown in the 70 foot range but the quality of the jumps there (esp. the landings) make the jumps much different from something out west... the way jumps are built west is that u are shot high and langings are extremely steep... in the poconos we cant build jumps like this because the trails are not steep enough and cat drivers are not the best as compared to places like mammoth... you cant argue that the tables at any resort around here are up to par with west coast standards so dont try to... i dont think bear could even build a good 70 footer... if they did it would be useless because of speeed issues... i hope people know where i am comming from because rails around here are right on with west coast but not jumps because of the terain we have to work with along with many other factors