Skis.

ugpdirt

Hey all. I'm new here and even new to skiing. I've been up to Camelback 4 times this year which have been the first times since I was about 8 (I'm now 20). But I'm having an awesome time skiing and would like to do it even more. So I think I want to look into getting some skis for myself and I have a few questions.

I'm looking for an All-Mountain Ski and I don't want to spend to much but I also want a ski that will stick with me as my ability progresses. Even though I've only skied a few times I already feel pretty comfortable on Marjie's and Cliffhanger.

I have been looking at the K2 Omni series, Salomon Scrambler series, the Atomic Izor, and the Volkl Unlimited Series. I was wondering if any of these would work. And if so what skill level should I look for?

Also, I'm 5'9 and about 170 lbs. So I was wondering what size. I was on 160 cm last time I was up but should I go longer?

And I think that about covers it.

Hey all. I'm new here and even new to skiing. I've been up to Camelback 4 times this year which have been the first times since I was about 8 (I'm now 20). But I'm having an awesome time skiing and would like to do it even more. So I think I want to look into getting some skis for myself and I have a few questions.

I'm looking for an All-Mountain Ski and I don't want to spend to much but I also want a ski that will stick with me as my ability progresses. Even though I've only skied a few times I already feel pretty comfortable on Marjie's and Cliffhanger.

I have been looking at the K2 Omni series, Salomon Scrambler series, the Atomic Izor, and the Volkl Unlimited Series. I was wondering if any of these would work. And if so what skill level should I look for?

Also, I'm 5'9 and about 170 lbs. So I was wondering what size. I was on 160 cm last time I was up but should I go longer?

And I think that about covers it.

The Volkl Unlimited Series is a great choice, the AC3 especially. From Atomic, the Metron 9 or 10 are gread skis, they carve fantastic and are also great "crud busters". Avoid the Izor, a lousy ski in current form, I hear it will be changed for next season. But boots is where you need to concentrate. Boots are the most inportant piece of gear. You will get more enjoyment/performance from a better pair of boots and a lesser ski than the opposite.

PM (Private message) "The Ski Bum", here in the forum, Duane from the Ski Bum in Chadds Ford. He can set aside some time for you and give you some great choices.

I'm definitely with Phil on this one. The AC3 is a greagt ski. If I were you, as far as sizing goes, I'd not go any higher than a 165. I'm 23, 5'9", 200, been skiing 20 years, and I ski a 175. Trust me, the 165 will be all that you need.

Phil hit the nail on the head with boots. If there is one thing that you don't go cheap on, make it boots. Find a solid pair of boots that you can flex. People wear boots that are WAY too stiff for them, generally. Take some time with a good bootfitter. Depending on where you're from I can recommend one, as some are just WAY better than others. Boots will really make or break your experience.

i would recomend going to Nestors in either whitehall or Quakertown to get your boots.... especailly since they were voted #1 boot fitters in the country this year by SkiMagazine. i have a bunch of friends that work there, and they know what they are talkign about. thats where i get all my stuff. and boots are the most important piece of equipment. i had shitty boots for 3 years and once i got new ones that were top-of-the-line, i could tell i w3as skiing much better. also, i wouldnt go much higher than 165... because anything longer thaan that, you run the risk of them man-handling you.

Yup, seeing now that you're from Philly I'd definitely say hit up Nestor's. I can't speak from experience, but I've never heard a bad thing said about their work. Whatever you do, don't buy boots online. You'll never get the correct size. I've been through 2 pairs of boots in the past 2 years, and I STILL need to get smaller ones. Anything under 350 is not going to be worth your time.