Camelback to host pond skimming

skidude

http://skicamelback.com/pdfs/Spring%20Events%2006.pdf

Camelback's first annual Pond Skimming event will be held on Saturday, March 18th. Pond Skimming is an exciting event for both spectators as wells as participants. For those who are not familiar with Pond Skimming, participants ski or ride down the slope across a shallow pond. There is no charge, only a valid lift ticket is required. Any one who wants to participate must be at least 18 years old and be intermediate or above in skiing or riding ability. All participants must sign a release form and provide their own equipment.

Pond skimming is just one of our many Spring Events. March 4-5 is Reggae Weekend, featuring "Soulbusters" on Saturday from 3-7pm and "Trinidad North" on Sunday from 2-6pm, both playing in the Main Lounge.

March 11-12 marks the return of our ever-popular Beach Party Weekend, when the Main Lounge is transformed into a sandy beach, complete with life-like palm trees. "Parrot Beach" (a Jimmy Buffet cover band) will be playing from 3-7pm on Saturday and "Flashback" will perform on Sunday from 2-6pm in the Main Lounge. When you are out skiing and riding, keep your eyes open for seashells hidden around the mountain to turn in for great prizes, including lift tickets and other promotional items.

Spring Fling Weekend on March 18-19 brings you Pond Skimming and the "Jim Roberti Band".

We hope to see you all out this March for great spring skiing and riding and some exciting events!

Anyone wanna poach a pond with me :woot

umm I have seen pictures of it before and a lot places just take like thick plastic and use 2x4 framing and fill it up with water. so you jump bomb down the trail and ski across, maybe it will down home again? and into the quad area.

Edited by LineSki

Im 17 but do you think I could get away with doing it? anybody want to make me a fake id haha. If I enter im hitting that shit switch

I am wondering if they will even check... I'm uhhh 18 :lol

What trail/pond will they use?

Not sure yet, trying to find out.

umm I have seen pictures of it before and a lot places just take like thick plastic and use 2x4 framing and fill it up with water. so you jump bomb down the trail and ski across, maybe it will down home again? and into the quad area.

Probably somewhere they can have people watch (near the base)...Bottom of meadows maybe...Its a little wider

Bob is in.

Your welcome to go too :nana

Someone on ridecamelback.com made a good point that cause they are doin pond skimming does that mean its the last weekend of year?

The press release for the "spring events" does say that the pond skimming weekend is "rounding out this years calendar" which sounds kind of ominous.

I expect that they have already stopped blowing snow after last weekend, and they have a decent base to re-hash for the last month. We should all just accept that it will be either that weekend or at best the following one when they shut down.

Time to be planning trips further afield.

I would like to try it out, do you think lift tickets will be discounted by then. Anybody have a voucher they can sell me? I watched Pond Skimming the first weekend of April 1998 at Sugarbush and it was fun seeing the crazy costumes and massive wipe-outs. Snowboarders and people on fat skis had the advantage but a few people on skinny stix made it across. Mad Steezy :wiggle

i doubt the ticket prices will be dropped by then.. but i may be able to help you out with a voucher.. let me see if i have a extra.. im on campus right now so when i get home later tonight i can check and ill let ya know then

I expect that they have already stopped blowing snow after last weekend, and they have a decent base to re-hash for the last month.

this is what they do every other year, but i can't imagine their base is that good this year. last time i was up there, they had thin-cover signs in several places. it's frustrating that now that they finally have the weather that would allow snowmaking, they will decide not to do it.

this time of year is so aggravating.

this is what they do every other year, but i can't imagine their base is that good this year. last time i was up there, they had thin-cover signs in several places. it's frustrating that now that they finally have the weather that would allow snowmaking, they will decide not to do it.

this time of year is so aggravating.

I was up at CB yesterday morning and the base looks pretty good in most places. Thay had blown alot on the run in to Presidents day weekend. It certainly looks good enough to get them through 3 weeks of fairly cold weather, after that it'll be weekends in VT, or having to listen to Doug tell us how great Blue is.. <_<

Completely changing the subject, was it "retards ski free day" at CB yesterday? The number of complete muppets snowploughing the trails seemed more than normal. :confused

Well got a message back from CB, looks like they will not let people under 18 skim, even with a realease.

I wonder how many people that can't swim are going to go face down in the water....haha

I hope ski patrol is up on there lifeguarding/CPR ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately, CB's base was much worse today than Sunday. :(:banghead

O yeah, and today it looked like they were dis-connection the hoses from the snow guns. :banghead

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

i don't think they normally blow snow in march anyway. and based on what their website has been saying, it looks like they have only blown snow on the terrain park since president's day weekend and have only been grooming instead.

Unfortunately, CB's base was much worse today than Sunday. :(:banghead

O yeah, and today it looked like they were dis-connection the hoses from the snow guns. :banghead

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

It is all over at CB. At least it will be warm for their "beach weekend" thing. Maybe they'll turn on the slides! CB...1st waterpark open this in the East! I bet they end up canceling the pond skimming.

It is all over at CB. At least it will be warm for their "beach weekend" thing. Maybe they'll turn on the slides! CB...1st waterpark open this in the East! I bet they end up canceling the pond skimming.

i think they'll be able to stay open until next weekend, but conditions will be horrendous. i think temperatures will go down again after a few days of this.

however, no matter what the temperature is, they do not blow snow this late in the season (i'm surprised that they did so for the terrain park earlier in the month). i'm not sure if blue will make snow next week if conditions permit, but camelback usually packs up their equipment first.