? about edges

bigdaddyk

Approx. how many times can you get you edges sharpened, on a set of skis, before you where them down too much? Also, can the metal edges be replaced, if they would get damaged bad by something like a rock? These were just two questions that randomly popped into my head. I now have too much time to think :huh: .

it really depends on the shape of the edges and base when you get them ground. if you have really deep gouges, theymight have to take more material off to get the base smooth again, therefore taking more edge off. you should be able to get about 10 full tunes for sure though, probably more if you keep your stuff in good shape and dont need the full stone grind every time. as far as replacing edges; yes it can be done, but is usually pretty costly because its a timely, difficult process, and the edge will never really be as strong as it originally was.

I had a small section of edge replaced at the tail of one of my skis a few years ago...I was surprised at how well it turned out, although I'd have retired them if they were race skis.

Sharpening? I can't speak for shop tunes, but I sharpen my edges with either a mill file or diamond stone before every race (for race skis) and every couple of times out for my recreational skis.

A mill file is for tuning dull edges, while a diamond stone is for touching up the tune and getting rid of burrs. If you are gentle with your mill file and only take off a minimum of material, then use a diamond stone for polishing and touch-ups, you can do more than 50 tunes and touch-ups.

^what ski999 said is pretty right on, if you are using hand tuning equipment. i was referring to a base grinding machine, that generally takes more material off your base. you dont really need a full base grind all that often though. once a season is usually plenty for most skiers.

Yeah, stone grinds were almost a fad for a while...race team kids were having it done two or three times a season, until it was realized that it slows you down. It creates sharp little peaks and valleys, which drags...you have to round them off by skiing. I can only guess that 10 grinds would have you down to the wood/foam.

Buy a single tool base/side edge beveler ($20 - $40) and a blue diamond stone (70 mm) that fits in it and you will have sharp edges all year. I set mine in the beginning with the file, then put the file aside and use the diamond stone once per week to maintain it. This way you have them sharp whenever you want and you never have to pay the shops. I have had my tool for 10 years.