Grass Skiing

Ski

It's like skiing on short skis in really sticky snow. They work best on closely mowed grass. I came down the unmowed headwall and it reminded me of powder skiing with a one inch base of snow underneath; I just didn't know when I was going to hit a hole or rock. Being able to wear your own ski boots is a huge plus ('though I wore my softer, non-race boots for better flex), as opposed to any inline skates.

in the 2nd and 3rd one are you going fast or are they slower then reg skiing?

It's not really steep, so I'm going pretty slow, but fast enough to keep them turning. Even on skis you have to skate to get any speed here. You feel like your going fast because your on 90's, though. But it really is pretty close to actual skiing.

Excellent report, 999.

How/where did you get access to the lift?

Ouch, what happened to your blazing orange helmet? or knee/elbow pads?*

*Just trying to make sure you remain intact, so I can beat you racing next winter.

Edited by skimom

Excellent report, 999.

Ouch, what happened to your blazing orange helmet?  or knee/elbow pads?*

*Just trying to make sure you remain intact, so I can beat you racing next winter.

that's his community's ski hill that hes on, and im sure he either turned it on, or pulled a few string :D

Excellent report, 999.

that's his community's ski hill that hes on, and im sure he either turned it on, or pulled a few string :D

It has it's own lift??????

Excellent report, 999.

i think he said there are several trails, a double chair and a t-bar, has its own lodge... :)

Well, there are organized FIS races for GS and SL, and there are lots of pics of kids racing in their exact ski race 'form'. This was my first day in almost 15 years on grass skis...and the rentals I had used were absolute beaters. You turn with the same pressure as alpine skis and you feel like you are riding on rails, with no skidding.

As far as the lift, I went to our community ski hill planning on hiking for turns, but one of our maintenance guys was there and flipped the switch. He just thought it was going to be funny to watch me crash on the headwall, so the lifts were just for today.

Excellent report, 999.

i think he said there are several trails, a double chair and a t-bar, has its own lodge... :)

Atomic:

No wonder 999 got so fast last winter. I was wondering why I couldn't catch up with him - he has a back-yard ski hill to practice on.

Skidude...we gotta get a t-bar for our driveway...

Ha, we hardly ever use our ski hill until all the other mountains close and, by then, you have to hike for your turns. It is a nice place on a snowy Friday or Saturday night to head over and have a hot chocolate and couple of quick runs.

Yeah, 'Dude, Spyder pole guards. Why, uh, are your's missing?

Yeah...Composite poles..But if I put any more duct tape under the handle they will just not fit on...What I need are some new screws that fit (hard to explain) and then I can probably rig them on.

Anyway back to where you said you would bring your grass skis over to my house so I can try them....What ever time is good for you ;)