Gloves

Glenn

What gloves do you use/have used. What do you like what don't you like.

Gloves vs. Mittens

Brands?

Features?

I'm in desperate need of a new pair, maybe if I can get some decent ones without spending an arm and a leg several pairs.

I've used mittens in the past, as well as gloves. The mittens are nice when it's super cold, but if its anywhere above 15 degrees, my hands would get too clamy and then cold from the moisture.

What gloves do you use/have used. What do you like what don't you like.

Gloves vs. Mittens

Brands?

Features?

I'm in desperate need of a new pair, maybe if I can get some decent ones without spending an arm and a leg several pairs.

I've used mittens in the past, as well as gloves. The mittens are nice when it's super cold, but if its anywhere above 15 degrees, my hands would get too clamy and then cold from the moisture.

I have 2 pairs:

1) Level full length (not sure the model name), these have the "bio-mex" wrist protection built in, I bought these when I started boarding. They are toooo warm for most days with a removable liner and without the liner they just feel too big. I cannot recommend these gloves as the waterproof membrane got all twisted up whenever you pulled the inner glove out making it very difficult to put your fingers back in. Overall 2/10 unless it's -10 outside in which case 6/10.

2) Grenade: now my default choice, excellent for most if not all local (including VT) days. They have a strange little croc-clip with a visor wipe in the back of one glove which is pretty pointless but the gloves themselves are excellent. Again not sure about a model name, they are dark grey/black with red piping, short length, but not "pipe" gloves. 8/10

I have Burton Gore-Tex Mittens. Removeable liners so when it gets warmer your don't over heat, plus they're waterproof, and since there gore-tex they are super breathable. Some days it'd be around 40, and id still rock these and i never really had any problems with sweaty hands. They were 60

I also have Burton Approach Gloves. Good Gloves, Comfortable, and warm. Used them in some Below 0 days and didn't have any problems. They were 45

Edited by Switch096

Also, skier if you could include the amount of "snow contact" you glove receives that would be cool. Obviously as a snowboarder having to touch the ground at least once per run is pretty much a requirement.

I have a pair of burton gloves, not sure which mode. They were great when I first got them, but I've had them for 3-4 years so there getting worn down. I also got another pair of gloves this year that are really warm, but there too warm for the warmer days. I don't remember the brand at the moment.

I never thought about that, does a snowboarder touch the ground as a balance thing like a pole plant?

No, I only try to touch the ground when getting up from strapping my bindings or kinda bs ground tricks, everything else is accidental.

I guess that's why snowboarders have so many wrist injuries. In the icy, choppy PA snow it could definitely be rough.

No wrist injuries are from the nature in which we fall. With two feel secured to the board we can't use one leg to help slow a fall, or even counter weight the fall for that matter.

I want to find some video of a snowboarder running gates to see if they put their hand on the snow every turn...it seems like it could hurt at the speeds they travel at.

A few carving videos show hands sort of grazing the ground. I think it might be to show off how low they are getting, maybe it's incidental. No one really uses hand plants as a technique to improve turning technique...

Although knuckle dragging can be fun when doing slashes and such.

Glenn, nice to see you out of hibernation and active on PASR again...it's like you disappeared for a few months... :rock

Yeah, it's been a while. I'll be around for a while. :wiggle

No doug we don't really touch the ground much. I mean you can on a big carve but it's not nessesary. Only when getting up from strapping in. But i strap in on the lift most of the time so i don't have a problem there.

There are some riders like RDM that knuckle drag everytime he's doing a big hit(i dunno why)

I never thought about that, does a snowboarder touch the ground as a balance thing like a pole plant? I guess that's why snowboarders have so many wrist injuries. In the icy, choppy PA snow it could definitely be rough. I want to find some video of a snowboarder running gates to see if they put their hand on the snow every turn...it seems like it could hurt at the speeds they travel at.

Glenn, nice to see you out of hibernation and active on PASR again...it's like you disappeared for a few months... :rock

When i was doing the race camp at steamboat i got yelled out for putting my hand on the ground in a deep carve. It screws up ballance and acculy takes a good bit of speed away.

Thanks Glenn and Switch for the explanations... :rock

One of the times I skied with Switch he took a small fall but just bouced back into it and didn't even loose any speed, that's a cool think about not having the snowboard release. When I catch an edge I usually land on my left side and start sliding and hopefully my skis pop off. Since I don't use pole straps..my poles can be scattered anywhere. Even the best gloves can get soaked from a bad wipeout, especially if you're trying to self arrest by digging in with your fingers.

... I have a funny feeling skiers can do the same thing, just snowboarders are more 'practiced' at getting up after falls with just our arms and edges.

When i was doing the race camp at steamboat i got yelled out for putting my hand on the ground in a deep carve. It screws up ballance and acculy takes a good bit of speed away.

Of course for racing it would kill speed. There are some riders that will drag a hand in Pow Pow, but sometimes it's hard not to when your up to your waist in snow already.

Or he just rides in Pa, and doesn't ride on the few days when it's 0, then he's set..

Snow in PA is too wet for this to be a resonable assumption.

... Maybe I'm the only one who gets sweaty hands? I can't wear the same gloves two days in a row without some from of blown air drying. My gloves are FAR worse than my boots. The exception is super cold days where the snow simply cannot get 'wet' and where my hands are far to cold to get even they slightest bit moist.

... Maybe I'm the only one who gets sweaty hands? I can't wear the same gloves two days in a row without some from of blown air drying. My gloves are FAR worse than my boots. The exception is super cold days where the snow simply cannot get 'wet' and where my hands are far to cold to get even they slightest bit moist.

My hands don't get sweaty.. Shit i wore my mittens when it was 65 out, and i was riding in a t-shirt and my hands didn't really get sweaty. I didn't wear them while going up the lift, but my hands didn't get sweaty on the ride down. You must have plastic bags on your hands instead of gloves.. Try getting some gore-tex gloves that are more breathable, you hands shouldn't get as sweaty.

My hands don't get sweaty.. Shit i wore my mittens when it was 65 out, and i was riding in a t-shirt and my hands didn't really get sweaty. I didn't wear them while going up the lift, but my hands didn't get sweaty on the ride down. You must have plastic bags on your hands instead of gloves.. Try getting some gore-tex gloves that are more breathable, you hands shouldn't get as sweaty.

I don't know if I've used gore-tex, but there definatly has been technology in the gloves I've used. I found that 90% of the time my cold hands were from getting wet from sweat rather than cold 'radiating' through the gloves. I didn't even realize until I started wearing my gloves WITHOUT the inside liners on COLDER days and they remained comfortable.

I suppose I'm a quality prospect for pipe gloves except...

1. I hate having a "gap" in between my sleeve and glove, and pipe gloves seem to offer no wrist protection in this crucial area. I would rather have cold fingers than cold wrists

2. I think it's more important to be prepared for the coldest day of the year than for the warmest. While it's uncomfortable to ride in warm weather with over protective gear, it won't stop me from riding. I can always take it off. On the other hand, being too cold will bring me in, and I HATE sitting in a lodge at the mountain. I would rather just leave.

Glenn,

I would recommend you take a look at the Level Radiator XCR's. They make it in either a glove or a mitten. I have the glove and I love them, and my girlfriends mom has the mitten and she swears by them after skiing with them this season in temps from the teens to the fifties. Mine always kept me warm, even after I dropped one in the sink on a 20 degree day. They use Goretex with Primaloft insulation with a leather palm, and you can find them for pretty good deals in the offseason at local shops. I ran into no liner problems like Timeless complained of, and they've actually been one of the only gloves that hasn't fallen apart on me after having kids running over them during lessons, dragging them on the ground while freeriding, etc... My one complaint is that they are a little warm on the warmest days (55 degrees +), but they actually breathe pretty well (thanks Goretex) so its not too bad. A few extra duckets over the Sports Authority or Wal Mart specials, but well worth it for me.

... you're hands have to be cold. Or you don't ride often, these are the only two conclusions I can come to.

I don't ride, I ski. I was out 56 times this season, including cold, windy days. The Wal-Mart gloves are actually really warm and have gore-tex in them. They are warmer than some of the more expensive types that I have tried. They do tend to wear quicker, in the fingers.

Edited by bigdaddyk

I have three pair going. One spare dry pair in my bag, a pair on my hands, and the other pair at home drying out over top of a radiator. My heat is the "old style" radiator type, so I just put my gloves on top of them, because my hands also sweat inside of the gloves, despite how cold it gets.

A few extra duckets over the Sports Authority or Wal Mart specials, but well worth it for me.

thank you trevor, for introducing today's new vocabulary word; ducket. but seriously, i bought a pair of section gloves in whistler for like $40 and i love them. they dont breathe the best, because they are all leather, but leather tends to hold up better for me than most other gloves i've had. whatever you do, don't buy anything from drop. their stuff just straight up falls apart. grandoe isnt too much better, either.

i usually spend like 70 dollars on gloves because i get two pipe gloves which is what i commonly wear and a heavier pair that the pipes fit under for the few 0 degree days. i had the Danny kass pro models, purpleshane, and the normal liner. all from Grenade, they were good but not perfect but i don't like the leather gloves much so i don't have a choice and i would much rather grenade than any other company because they support snowboarding pretty well, but they are kind of fading into burton status, so... If i were you i would probably go with whatever you like because there is not many great gloves out there. you can buy a pair of the wal-marts and they can last a long time or break after seven runs it all depends.